Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 Avensis drive belt change...help!

Options
  • 03-06-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2004 2.0 D4D avensis, and it has two drive belts. One for the aircon and powersteering, and one for the alternator.

I went to change them as one of them has split. The one giving me huge trouble is the topmost (PS/AC) one. The tensioner for that one is manual, with a bolt on the front for setting the tension, and a bolt on the tensioner pully to lock it.

I can't get the nut to come off the tensioner pully it'self. The ABS driver is blocking me using a breaker bar or a wrench, and there is no WAY I can shift it with a spanner. I have even tried hitting the end of the spanner with a hammer to try and shock the nut.

I tried to use heat to free it up, but i think the bearings on the tensioner pully will be destroyed if I go too much. WD40 was also no bloody good.

Does anyone have any tips on how to solve this silly silly bolt's attitude problem?!

Ken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I managed to do this job yesterday, here's what had to be done for anybody interested:

Remove engine cover
    Remove over trays
    Remove 2 bolts from the top of ABS driver
    Remove wheel
    Remove wheel arch liner
    Remove under tray
    Dislodge front right of bumper
    Remove 3 bolts from washer bottle (to access the 3rd ABS bolt)
    Remove 3rd ABS bolt
    Remove 2 tiny nuts from ABS driver to detach the mount
    Unlock the stupidly tight tensioner with a 1m breaker bar
    Remove the belt
    Use said breaker bar on the 2nd tensioner and remove the other belt
    Install new belts
    Put everything back.

I believe the issue was the position of the tensioner. It was JUST at the wrong place in relation to the ABS driver, and blocking access to it. With the new belt in the tensioner is having to apply much less tension, and the nut on it is accessable with normal wrench.

Total time, 2 hours!

Advertisement