Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Media Player - USB device not recognised

• 01-07-2009 5:01pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right folks I have an external media player which when connected to my pc brings up the 'USB Device not recognised' error.

Ive tried loads of things

tried on different machine, different lead, powering down the pc, removing the usb ports from the device management etc etc still no joy

Anyone any suggestions??

Also if it was a fault in the device itself what would i be looking at replacing?

My next option is to attach the hd to my pcs motherboard and copy the stuff off it but that doesnt solve the problem so any thoughts on what might not be working thats causing the fault. It was working fine then just stopped one day.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Are you runing vista ?
    Have you recently updated to windows media player 11 ?
    Recently i updated to media player 11 and vista will no longer recognise my mp3 player a creative zen vision m 30gb and the problem sounds similar to yours ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Running xp on one machine vista on the other, doesnt work on either of them but then I would have windows media player 11 on them. Did removing this fix it for you?

You cant remove media player 11 on vista its sort of built into the Operating system !! There is some dodgy roundabout way of doing it but its not worth it . So im stuck with a mp3 player and the manufacturer creative wont update the drivers etc so never buying their stuff again, i know noone with xp anymore .
    I think there is a uninstall option on xp see if there is in the contol panel under add/remove programs if not google it and you will find how to get it off vista easy enough , restart after the uninstall check if it works , if not install windows media player 10 and see .

Ya ill check on xp machine first and see how i get on, will know then if thats the cause or not.

Unfortunately that aint the problem, still getting the same error..

USB device not recognized
    One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

It works as a player through my tv still so it works I just cant access it via usb to change files etc.

Anyone else any ideas??

• Advertisement

have you got onto the manufacturer and email them , or google the manufaturer and item and problem and see if theres any talk on other forums about the problem

Well i bought it ages ago off pixmania - i got on to them about it before when it happened first and they said oh send it back to us but we cant gaurentee the stuff on your hard drive so copy that off..and i said well thats the problem i cant access the hard drive by usb to copy the stuff off..that kind of ended that discussion..very unhelpful to be honest.

If i open it and connect it to my pc well then im voiding the warranty but at this stage i just want it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I did have a problem with one Maxtor external HDD that I couldn't get to work if I plugged it into its power supply before I attached the USB cable, weird I know but easy enough to try.

Then you could always (depending on warentee) open up the box take out the HDD and mount it in your PC to copy off the files before returning it -sorry just noticed you commented on that yourself.

Have tried that thanks and nearly everything else i can think of. I emailed pixmania there to see what they will say again this time because i think the company memup dont do the same model anymore so if i get the same response ill just take it apart first and remove the data if i can and then sent it off. Really annoying tho as its got a lot of stuff on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gerpir Feilan

What is the model of that player?
    Well first, maybe Ur using usb hub, try to connect directly to pc. Than try different USB port couple of times.
    The second idea is that sth got mixed up with system of that player. Try to restore settings or format hard drive. Unfortunately U will lose all data on hard drive. If U want to proceed anyway, U will probably find that option in the software. U should probably switch player to disk mode, and that try to connect. Had exactly the same problems with old ipod. Restoring solved issue but U had to switch first to disk mode. Without that PC couldn't recognize device.

Hope that will help just a little.

• Advertisement

Its a Memup 750gb media player

Ive connected it directly to both my pc and laptop. I cant format it because its not being recognised by the usb in the first place to access it. There is no reset or disk mode on it, you power it up and if its connected by the usb it goes to usb mode which happens but then it says unrecognized. There is no software for it either its the same as any external hard drive except you can play it through your tv also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

Yup, but its a self install jobs anyways you only need to download the driver for win 98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Could you try getting authorization from the manufacturer to open the case? you need to get to your files, like. the unit is already faulty. they ought to know that.

Well i tried earlier to put it into my pc but i dont have jumpers to set it to the slave drive so it just locked up my pc. I got on to pixmania and they sent me delivery details etc to send it back so hopefully they sort it out, ill just have to say goodbye to my stuff, some of it i gave to a mate on another media player so ill get back whatever he has and then just go from there..annoying all the same as it works as a player just not as a drive connect by usb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you have 2 machines - down one for an hour, and borrow it's jumpers. goof :p

Ones a laptop so it wont fit in there..the others a pc with a raid setup and no jumpers and it would also be the machine i need to put the drive into anyways...goof :P:D

Advertisement