Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking sound goes away when clutch pressed

Options
  • 23-10-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I took a large 10 year old 4x4 for a test drive and everything seemed OK except I heard a knocking or rattle sound when the clutch was not pressed. This was while the jeep was in Neutral and not moving. The noise stopped when the clutch was pressed and all I could hear was the normal hum of the engine. I took my foot off the clutch and she started to knock or rattle again. Is there a clutch or transmission problem lurking ? I'm inclined to walk away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Redtop wrote: »
    I took a large 10 year old 4x4 for a test drive and everything seemed OK except I heard a knocking or rattle sound when the clutch was not pressed. This was while the jeep was in Neutral and not moving. The noise stopped when the clutch was pressed and all I could hear was the normal hum of the engine. I took my foot off the clutch and she started to knock or rattle again. Is there a clutch or transmission problem lurking ? I'm inclined to walk away.

Depends what make and model but it sounds like dual mass flywheel is knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

2004 Nissan Patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Redtop wrote: »
    2004 Nissan Patrol

Im not sure if they have a dmf or not either way if its not that its in the gearbox most likely. Ring a dealer and ask for a price on a dmf and clutch kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

tiny chance it could be the thrust washers in the engine block

the crank and block could be scrap because of this-depends

tiny chance but get it checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Could be just a release bearing on the input shaft rattling about, far from ideal but not a major major worry, lots of my old wagons have had small rattles that went away when the clutch was depressed, depends on how loud of a noise you're talking about really...

To replace its almost advisable to do a full clutch kit replacement while its split.. if that's what it is..

• Advertisement
Advertisement