Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close couples toilet

Options
  • 19-10-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a close coupler toilet which has giving no trouble for past 10 years, but a few days ago when I flushed it the water leaked out under the cistern. So I decided it would be 5 min job and changed the donut washer. I even silicone it. however when I put everything back together and flushed toilet it leaked again. Can anyone advise me on what else could be wrong.

Thanking You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi I have a close coupler toilet which has giving no trouble for past 10 years, but a few days ago when I flushed it the water leaked out under the cistern. So I decided it would be 5 min job and changed the donut washer. I even silicone it. however when I put everything back together and flushed toilet it leaked again. Can anyone advise me on what else could be wrong.

Thanking You

Id suggest getting a plumber to refit the cistern properly.

As you just found out its never really as easy as a 5 minute job. A local plumber will do this for a standard call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I'm guessing it's not the donut. There is 2 bolts holding the toilet to the cistern and the washers which are rubber prob have perished.

I'm guessing it's not the donut. There is 2 bolts holding the toilet to the cistern and the washers which are rubber prob have perished.

Op said it only happens when he flushes. If it was the bolts / washers it would leak all the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

These washers are perished but what have they to do with water flowing from cistern. Taught they just held cistern in place.

These washers are perished but what have they to do with water flowing from cistern. Taught they just held cistern in place.

If it only leaks when flushed then the problem has to be around the syphon / donut area.

If it were me I'd strip it all out. Syphon, donut etc & reseal everything from scratch. Sometimes if you haven't done it before it'll take a few trys. The reason I suggest you get a plumber is because something made it leak. It could be that the cistern isn't pinned to the wall properly. Maybe the toilet is moving slightly.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If it only leaks when flushed then the problem has to be around the syphon / donut area.

If it were me I'd strip it all out. Syphon, donut etc & reseal everything from scratch. Sometimes if you haven't done it before it'll take a few trys. The reason I suggest you get a plumber is because something made it leak. It could be that the cistern isn't pinned to the wall properly. Maybe the toilet is moving slightly.

Thanks for the help, but this toilet is in attic and is rarely used and haven't given trouble since I fitted it. I just cant justify the cost of plumber for such a job. I know my limits and have no problem getting plumber if I out of my depth. I still don't understand what the bolts and washers can solve

Thanks for the help, but this toilet is in attic and is rarely used and haven't given trouble since I fitted it. I just cant justify the cost of plumber for such a job. I know my limits and have no problem getting plumber if I out of my depth. I still don't understand what the bolts and washers can solve

It is possible that a small amount of water can leak from old washers. If this was the case you would get a drip all the time. If it leaks only when flushed then this rules out the washers.

If it's a toilet that is rarely used maybe you could hold out till you have a plumber out doing other work.

It is possible that a small amount of water can leak from old washers. If this was the case you would get a drip all the time. If it leaks only when flushed then this rules out the washers.

If it's a toilet that is rarely used maybe you could hold out till you have a plumber out doing other work.

I might go with that. One last query. when I took out old donut washer it had shape of siphon nut built into it but new one was just rounded. Is this normal or did I get wrong one

I might go with that. One last query. when I took out old donut washer it had shape of siphon nut built into it but new one was just rounded. Is this normal or did I get wrong one

Old donut didn't have the nut shape when new. It gets that shape after its been held tightly in place over time.

BTW the donut gets fitted around the nut. Then you sit it over the hole in the toilet. You don't sit it in the hole first.

Old donut didn't have the nut shape when new. It gets that shape after its been held tightly in place over time.

BTW the donut gets fitted around the nut. Then you sit it over the hole in the toilet. You don't sit it in the hole first.

that's what I did and I 90 percent sure the shape was on the donut originally as it feels a perfect cut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

I think you should re do the job you did but use far more silicone between the donut washer and the siphon threaded section,also put a bead of silicone on the donut before fitting the cistern to toilet.Tighten up,dont tilt cistern back to the wall or at an angle to suit the wall plugs.it should be touching the wall after you tighten it up the screws

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If it only leaks when it's flushed your all right it should not be the bolts but I've seen it as the water drops it leaks. I accept though I'm prob not right

As said a full strip would sort it

Advertisement