Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modular homes

• 19-09-2012 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi,

A mate is looking into building a house a the minute, he had an idea in mind what he was looking for got drawing done up etc and got few prices on what it would cost, it is costing way more than he thought and is now rethinking his options, he came across these modular homes and we went to have a look at some..

I was surprised actually when i was in the first one as i was thinking of a mobile home type thing but tbh but this a a proper house, 1500sqft 4 bed, timber frame construction, double glazing, highly insulated, OFCH, they are constructioned with a kitchen/bathroom/wardrobes of your choice and you could be living in it in 8 weeks! Brand new these are half the cost of building the house he wanted!

OK so thats all the good points I seen and the sales guy wasn't going to tell us the negatives if any so was wondering has anyone else seen these are know of anyone living in one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 goobrien

hi,

i am thinking of doing a kit home like your friend. Where did you view them? I am looking at prices in poland, will pm u if i find anything good,

rgds

gavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Had a look at one of these a while back. visited the factory in the North and was impressed. I know someone that has one and is impressed in terms of price, speed, smoothness of build, quality and cost of heating. He went with one cause his father got one 10 years earlier and never had a problem.The house is in sections, but on the shop floor they have it set up as one full house when fitting it out, then revert back to sections for transport. His came in 3 sections, 2 sections for the main house and one for the utility/toilet. They have all their own trades employed and manufacture their own windows. In fact they are a huge supplier of commercial modular buildings, which is their main business. I have no connection with them, other than looking at it for my own research. I've decided to go with a bespoke design in the end, not sure how I will build. I don't think I can name the company here, but if anyone wants details, I still have their pricelist/specs and house design options somewhere. One of the problems I had at the time was that what they were building fell a little short of the new regs, not sure if they have changed since. Other thing to watch for is that they list ex vat prices and as they are based in the North their Northern customers are exempt for self builds, but we must pay vat when importing here. They can either do the full turnkey finish right down to putting the cups in the cupboards, or you can do the onsite parts yourself. Any more general questions post here and I'll do my best to answer them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,839 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

goobrien wrote: »
    hi,

i am thinking of doing a kit home like your friend. Where did you view them? I am looking at prices in poland, will pm u if i find anything good,

rgds

gavin

Something to watch out for is that Irish houses must comply with Irish regulations. If purchasing kit houses abroad, do your homework to ensure regs are complied with. That goes for the design as well as the construction.

If this is being funded by mortgage then certification in the system is required to draw down funds.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Something to watch out for is that Irish houses must comply with Irish regulations. If purchasing kit houses abroad, do your homework to ensure regs are complied with. That goes for the design as well as the construction.

If this is being funded by mortgage then certification in the system is required to draw down funds.

Good points. I think the guy I know got a mortgage. But what differs probably is the one he went with was a modular frame, with windows/doors in and all the insides complete, even plumbing and electrics.Then once placed on site he got his own builder to build a block outer leaf and put on the tiles. Most imported systems would probably be timber outer or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 goobrien

hi,

am interested in kit homes, would appreciate any contacts/ price lists you may have....u mentioned a company in ni,

thx

gavin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Funsizefox21

gooner99 wrote: »
    Had a look at one of these a while back. visited the factory in the North and was impressed. I know someone that has one and is impressed in terms of price, speed, smoothness of build, quality and cost of heating. He went with one cause his father got one 10 years earlier and never had a problem.The house is in sections, but on the shop floor they have it set up as one full house when fitting it out, then revert back to sections for transport. His came in 3 sections, 2 sections for the main house and one for the utility/toilet. They have all their own trades employed and manufacture their own windows. In fact they are a huge supplier of commercial modular buildings, which is their main business. I have no connection with them, other than looking at it for my own research. I've decided to go with a bespoke design in the end, not sure how I will build. I don't think I can name the company here, but if anyone wants details, I still have their pricelist/specs and house design options somewhere. One of the problems I had at the time was that what they were building fell a little short of the new regs, not sure if they have changed since. Other thing to watch for is that they list ex vat prices and as they are based in the North their Northern customers are exempt for self builds, but we must pay vat when importing here. They can either do the full turnkey finish right down to putting the cups in the cupboards, or you can do the onsite parts yourself. Any more general questions post here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Hi I am hoping to build a modular home and I was wondering if you would still have any of the details?

Many thanks,

Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 10 breathneach

Hi

Quote: gooner99

Hi I am hoping to build a modular home and I was wondering if you would still have any of the details?

Many thanks,

Marie

Many thanks,

Marie

Many thanks,

Marie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Folks
    Take a look at<snip>
    NW

No advertising, see forum charter please!

Thanks sorry for all the posts!

Sorry NW it says that website is unavailable....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 langleybc

Could you please send me on there details as I am very interested? Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Looking for price lists & pictures of modular options listed above. Could anyone PM me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭marty555

Hi guys, I'm really thinking about a modular home. For a few different reasons. I built a home a few years ago and then due to a break up I find myself renting now. The urge to have my own home is really strong, but then comes the problems. Being tied to a mortgage on my old home I won't be able to get another I have savings. So I was thinking of a modular home. Can anyone suggest any good company's that do this sort of thing. Any views or help would be great

Probably should say ! I need 3 bedrooms because of kids and my budget is approx 60,000
    Is it possible ????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

marty555 wrote: »
    Probably should say ! I need 3 bedrooms because of kids and my budget is approx 60,000
    Is it possible ????

No. Not possible in my opinion.
    Planning and then requirements to meet building regulations cannot be done with 60k.

If planning is already sorted, is it possible to get a building? Money for planning application is separate.

If planning is already sorted, is it possible to get a building? Money for planning application is separate.

60k to build a three bedroom house in compliance with current building regulations, no I still don't think it's possible. Connection fees could eat 10k alone, water, gas and ESB.

• Advertisement

Still don't think your getting this. I'm talking building alone ! Not extras.

Still don't think your getting this. I'm talking building alone ! Not extras.

Still don't think your getting me either. There's probably 20k worth of Part L compliance alone.

When you say building alone, what does this mean?
    Excavation
    Foundations
    Backfill
    Floor slab
    Insulation
    Radon protection
    Rising walls
    First floor
    Roof
    Drainage
    Wiring
    Plumbing

Are these extras ?

Modular building ! Complete with first and second fix !! The foundation, water, electric hook up waste is not in the cost.
    The modular building is finished and ready to go on site. Is this what you mean.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,839 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Modular building ! Complete with first and second fix !! The foundation, water, electric hook up waste is not in the cost.
    The modular building is finished and ready to go on site. Is this what you mean.

have you seen ANY that comply with irish building regulations?

I understand that. But to get your modular building onto your site and then connect everything and make your modular building come,any with our IRISH building regulations, what is your total budget to allow for everything?

At a push around 105k.

At a push around 105k.

Right so.
    You need someone that is willing to sign off on the modular home plus the work required to bring it to our regulation standard.

The plumbing and electrics built into the system has to be CE marked and compliant with the Construction Product Regulations also.

I still think it's not possible to get what you want with 105k but I'd be happy to be wrong and wish you best of luck in your project.

Thanks for that ! Now do you actually have anymore advice on it ?

Thanks for that ! Now do you actually have anymore advice on it ?

No problem. Now, do you actually have any specific questions?

• Advertisement

Ok, what's your qualifications to give advice ? Sorry if you feel this is rude but I don't want to be wasting my time or yours.

Ignore - double post.

Ok, what's your qualifications to give advice ? Sorry if you feel this is rude but I don't want to be wasting my time or yours.

Your posting on an Internet forum. My qualifications doesn't matter. They are not worth a sod when it comes to your home as legally I am anonymity and could be an engineer, a surveyor or a butcher for all anybody knows.

You need to engage a real life architect/engineer/technician to prepare your planning app and over see the build of the house.

You haven't once shown us what modular system you are looking at.
    What the cost of this system is per square meter etc etc

Your asking a how long is a piece of string question without giving us anything to work with.

Break down your 105k budget.

5k will disappear on planning costs easily. You then have
    Site assessment tests.
    Main drainage in site or will you have to use a soak pit and septic tank?
    ESB connection.
    Bord gais connection.
    Planning contribution which could be 10k alone before you pay for any of the service connections.
    Have you already bought the site or has that to come out of the 105k?

You then have to comply with minimum living standards which mean minimum sizes of bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen area and storage areas which are all contained in your local county council development plan. This will determine the minimum size that house can be.
    Average building costs for a house to current building regulations is approx €1200-€1500 per square meter but that can drop or rise depending on location and spec of finish picked.

And again, this is a public forum which you have asked for opinions on, not all opinions will be to your liking and not every poster is a yes man. I stand by my posts that I don't think 105k can build a 3 bedroom home in the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

PM sent (due to boards.ie policy).

Fwiw, it's a link to a UK website with a variety of designs & prices - cheapest one on there, converted to €€, is € 93,821 (and I'm not sure if that's subject to VAT or not, as mainstream building in the UK is VAT exempt.)

Just info to show OP the budget he needs to be thinking about.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Pre-fab company in the North. 2015 price is for 30 x 20 foot 2 bed £32k ex vat, up to £59k ex vat for 48 x 27 foot 3 bed. Includes white windows/doors, internal joinery, fitted kitchen, bathroom suite, electrics, plumbing, oil heating system. You need to provide foundations, roofing, outer block leaf. I don't think it would hit current ROI part L regs though without some sort of upgrade. I've been in one,seemed pretty well built and solid and owner was very happy. Of course it is a low cost options, so spec will be basic as expected, but can be upgraded I guess as with any build. No connection with the company, jut visited one built beside my wife's home place.

Guys thanks for all the pm some really good sites and links, so from what I'm seeing our budget is off by about half which at a push is workable. So we haven't met anyone in planning yet that's next week. Soy next question has anyone any first hand experience with this sort of build in Ireland and what sort of problems did you run into ? Again thanks to everyone replying all input is appreciated even if I don't like it all ☺ï¸Â

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....just a follow up: I got an email reply form that UK company I mentioned above and they told the price I mention above does NOT include VAT - there is no VAT on them in the UK (typical.............). So lash on 23% here then..........(not 13.5%....)

..on a related note, someone sent me this link this a.m. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/modular-houses-offered-as-solution-to-homeless-crisis-1.2351533

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I think the report says it is 80m.sq with a 30m.sq open living space.

Observations:
    Floor to ceiling windows, open living space and B rating with me are good.
    Bunk beds wedged up against electric panel heater are not so good.

4 mayors for Dublin launching the scheme points out the ridiculousness of the division of Dublin in to four council areas.

"Modular Homes Ireland" is unknown to Google outside of these reports in the papers.

Hopefully they will be built to a spec. that other councils accept so that those looking for a small cabin or retirement home in the country can buy one off the shelf.

I'd imagine the prices quoted in the article are ex vat, as they are dealing with local authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

there is a crowd called "-snip-...who do modular buildings in Ireland.
    I only heard of them today...im sure they would have to meet regs.

Only came across themn reading this article today...and i had seen this thread...

-snip-

Hope it is of help.
    Marty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

no adds thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

BryanF wrote: »
    no adds thanks

It wasn't an ad.. It was an article on breaking news that mentioned a crowd doing modular homes in Ireland. .. They could be total tosh for all I know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

martyc5674 wrote: »
    It wasn't an ad.. It was an article on breaking news that mentioned a crowd doing modular homes in Ireland. .. They could be total tosh for all I know.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302Mod note: please see forum charter : sections 1.1 , 2.2 & 3.0 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Siobhanoh92

Hi I'm wondering could you please forward me on the link for modular homes in the north as I've only come up with ones in the uk any help greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

-snip-
    northern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11 M.Lynch

How much was it costing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Didn't want to create a new thread for what may be a straightforward question.

It is this:

Do the current building costs of 1300-1600 a sq m apply to prefab/modular homes?
    For the avoidance of doubt, when I say modular home I'm referring to homes 'built' in a factory and pieced together on site.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Yes it does.

If there was any cheaper way of doing it correctly everyone would be using that way!

So you can be fairly sure if you are buying something prefabricated and it comes in much below that (when completed on site) then it's probably not complying with some element of the building regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Yes it does.

If there was any cheaper way of doing it correctly everyone would be using that way!

So you can be fairly sure if you are buying something prefabricated and it comes in much below that (when completed on site) then it's probably not complying with some element of the building regulations.

Much appreciated.
    In relation to build time of prefab v traditional construction - what in your opinion is the build on the prefab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The actual build time (shovel to keys in the door) is usually shorter but there's a longer lead in time - i.e. before you start on site.

I'd imagine, particularly if you are just building one house, the overall timetable more likely to be project dependent than "construction type" dependent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Diceicle wrote: »
    Much appreciated.
    In relation to build time of prefab v traditional construction - what in your opinion is the build on the prefab?

The theory is that the modular ones have a higher quality build due to the nice factory environment, as opposed to the exposed nature of a building site.

The obvious drawback is that you have to sign off on every detail, socket layouts etc so no scope for pandering toto the whims of SWMBO when she wants the extra socket for the GHD moved a bit to the left.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement