Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UMM 4X4

• 10-09-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

Who remembers these yokes, spotted it in a breakers yard in Cork,
    K reg 94?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jvtp.jpg

The high roof version was very pope-ular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Yea, I remember them. I think they started out as Cournil 4x4 in France, then UMM Alter in Portugal and I think they were also made by ARO in Romania?

Quite a capable 4x4 but very prone to rust, also the rear side windows would blow out on them if you drove at speed with the drivers window open!!

There were a lot of odd 4x4's around in the early to mid 80s, some marginally more successful than others, probably the best being the Lada Niva.

I'll have to see if I can find some pictures of a Stonefield and a Land Master (both Chevy V8 powered :eek )

Land Master, knocked together by Cornish blacksmiths as a Defender rival :rolleyes:

lm2.jpg

Stonefield. Originated in Scotland as a government backed scheme, produced in Kent by an Asian business, 400 sold to Malaysian Army then bankrupt! Mate of mine had one, space frame chassis cab and an early form of torque apportioning 4x4.
    54.jpg

4 wheels not enough? Esarco 8x8 (lots of Land Rover bits)

esarco208x820_01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

what engine/ running gear does the UMM use? Is it landrover?

No LR parts. Engines were Peugeot I think and I suspect the rest of the mechanicals came out of various parts bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

its just when i saw the 5 stud hubs and landrover style door hinges it made me think

Digging into my failing memory for more 80s delights. A lot of manufacturers and importersjumped on the bandwagon after the heavy snow in Jan 87 in the UK when utilities and the like started panic buying. At the time the only real choice was Land Rover and Toyota.

Auverland A4, French built 4x4. Saw one at Dartfield a couple of years ago. Auverland now concentrate on Military Vehicles
    A4fq.jpg

The original truly abysmal Dacia Duster 4x4, 14" rims and rusted faster than a 1970s Fiat
    post-867-136411234683_thumb.jpg

Suzuki LJ80. Their first 4x4 import, tiny vehicle, tiny two pot engine but very capable. I had a colleague who did a 40 mile each way commute in one of these, a true masochist! It was the start of something big though, look at the number of Zooks on the road now.
    5724143505_604841100a_b.jpg

County did 4x4 conversions on Transits and Bedford CFs until the base vehicles got too complicated. I'm sure someone also offered a 4x4 conversion on Ford P100 and Peugeot pickups.

Found the Peugeot 504 Dangel conversion
    peugeot-504-pickup-4x4-dangel-06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomsumm

hi, this actual vehicle belongs to me and i am going to be starting building it into a overland camper, planned mods are full external cage, raised uprated suspension, breather kit, tanks for water etc etc, i'm always lookin for parts for it if thereare any umm enthusiasts out there ?, also i'm lookin for a second hand pop top to graft onto her, she is a great wagon, seriously capable and suprisingly easy to drive, look forward to hearing from anyone who knows about these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The Land master wasnt a half bad wagon.Fibre glass where the LR rusts out despite its "aluminium".Had a massive frame made out of two by the looks steel electric street light poles.A bonnet that opened like a truck cab over the engine for 100% easier access to the engine,which was somewhat underpowerd.But had diff locks and a better gearing than LR.
    NBut LR was going down hill and it just wouldnt do to have the flagship of the industry sink under in Thatchers Britan at the time now would it chaps?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement