Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo gig sound check?

Options
  • 14-05-2012 3:23pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been playing a few solo gigs lately and being relatively new to the game, I'm always a little worried that the sound could be better/improved.

The set up is vocals and acoustic guitar, with a Yamaha Stagepas 300 (http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_stagepas_300.htm)

I know every venue is different, but I was just wondering if anyone could offer some "general" tips or hints for getting your sound right when you're on your own.

Thanks,
    Kieran.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hmm.. I usually tell the barman to give me a holler if I'm too loud or too quiet.
    If I have any friends there, I'll tell them to let me know if the mix is off.

I try and position one of the speakers behind me (if possible) or at least pointing in such a direction whereby I can hear what the audience can hear.

Other than that I think it's just a matter of getting used to your own system/sound etc..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks Kev.

There was a fella in there one night who, despite being very "tired and emotional", still managed to tell me that the sound was a bit off. I twiddled around a bit til he was happy and gave me a thumbs up!

It was a laugh really and helped get the crowd going.

I'll try positioning the speakers as you suggest the next night and see if I can hear what yer man heard :)

Thanks again,
    Kieran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hmm.. I usually tell the barman to give me a holler if I'm too loud or too quiet. If I have any friends there, I'll tell them to let me know if the mix is off.

Yeah that's what I do.. The bar staff are reluctant sometimes to say anything, cos they have an impression that we're all premadonnas... though I do know the case of one barman who told a pub singer that he was playing too loud and he said "Do I tell you how to pull your pint?"

I'd rather they tell me during the gig when I can do something about it, rather than tell me after when I cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I bought a cheap in ear monitor setup, i take the main outs from the desk into it.
    It means i can hear the levels the same as the audience.

Thanks for that sundodger.

Do you mind me asking how much roughly that in ear monitor set you back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Sorry for the slow reply
    I picked this one http://www.thomann.de/ie/ld_systems_mei_100.htm
    Cheaper are available i went for this as it had multiple frequencies.

Cheers again sundodger.

Advertisement