Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading soon - do I need drivers?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi

Am upgrading soon and have spent the last few years collecting peripherals that I like - Logitech wireless mouse, keyboard etc.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost all the CDs that came with the devices except the webcam.

If I get Vista, do I need to download drivers for these devices - the keyboard is about 5 years old but is still listed on the Logitech site.

If I do need drivers, I presume I can just get them from the Logitech site?

I also have a Netgear USB wireless network adaptor - presumably I can just plug this into the new machine and away it will go? Or do I need some software for that as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

It depends.

Most keyboard and mice devices will be recognised without any problems.

In other cases the manufacurers website will have them (but remember you may not have access to the internet immediately after an upgrade if your network drivers need updating).

But why not wait for Windows 7 and skip Vista altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gerpir Feilan

Don't worry about these CDs they are all outdated. You should have all your drivers up to date even if they are just for keyboard.
    Mostly U don't need drivers to get them working, but if U want to have access to extra features (media buttons, switches ect) U will have to install software which U can easily get from Internet (logitech support).
    Cml387 wrote that U may not have access to Internet straight after upgrading.
    Well thats simple. After installing windows, install all drivers from CD which U will get with your motherboard. There will be network adapter drivers and wireless wizard which help U step by step connect to wireless broadband.

Remember to always restart when requested during the installation. Don't leave that to the end.

Personally will definitely switch to Windows7, so far beta runs flawless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Vista is quite good at detecting even the advanced buttons on keyboards and mice etc, I have a cheapy lidl keyboard with loads of extra buttons and a dial for volume and a scroller and vista picks them up now problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Revan wrote: »
    Hi

Am upgrading soon and have spent the last few years collecting peripherals that I like - Logitech wireless mouse, keyboard etc.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost all the CDs that came with the devices except the webcam.

If I get Vista, do I need to download drivers for these devices - the keyboard is about 5 years old but is still listed on the Logitech site.

I also have a Netgear USB wireless network adaptor - presumably I can just plug this into the new machine and away it will go? Or do I need some software for that as well?
    Vista and XP were always very good about driver fetching. As long as your online it will look for the device ID and get its drivers. I have never seen an unknown device problem on vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Revan wrote: »
    Hi

Googling the exact model of the item will get you drivers, however there used be a tool on the MS website, dunno if it's still there, basically you connect all your stuff and then run it, it scans the system and tells you what is or is not compatible with Vista, I would also advise waiting for Windows 7 though, I'm not mad on Vista but only have it 3 weeks, windows 7 has been out on beta so its less than a year I'd say before it's released, probably sooner even!

• Advertisement
Advertisement