Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Dempsey wrote: »
    I'm sure you have read all the fans forums! :rolleyes:

A new company buying trophies of another doesnt mean that the new company won them.

Again I'll say it, I dont care if Rangers is liquidated or not. I just want Rangers punished for over a decade of cheating.

Companies don't win trophies, but hey, if you say so... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jelle1880 wrote: »

What are you babbling about? Newco Rangers will be buying assets from Rangers and they will buy the trophy cabinet but only fools will believe that the newco won them and rangers lives on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CSF wrote: »
    Surely any points deductions will only hurt the club in their first season back though? It seems like all of this will only affect Rangers for a very short time.

The punishment wont be just for one season, i can guarantee you that
    How can you guarantee me that?

CSF wrote: »
    How can you guarantee me that?

Because the clubs didnt want to be restricted to a set of punishments over a 3 year period. If they didnt think 3 years of punishment would be enough in certain cases, what makes you think all the clubs would agree to just 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

more timmy lies here
    http://videocelts.com/2012/06/blogs/hmrc-liquidators-to-kill-off-grees-newco-plan

Binder Dijker Otte, best known as BDO, have warned Charles Green that his newco plan is a non-runner.

Green’s plan for a £5.5m asset sale of Rangers into a new club has attracted criticism and concern with the Ibrox club having assets of £50m plus in terms of property and players.

HMRC announced today that they will not be accepting Green’s CVA proposal and that they will be appointing BDO to liquidate the company.

Green’s plans for a quick asset transfer to present a newco option to the SPL are now in tatters with BDO issuing clear instructions that their task is to maximise the return to the creditors from the club assets.

BDO partners Malcolm Cohen and James Stephen will be appointed joint-liquidators to the old company, although no timescale for when this will happen has been made available.

Cohen said: “Once BDO is formally appointed, the joint liquidators will be seeking to protect any remaining assets, maximise recoveries for the benefit of creditors, and investigate the reasons behind the failure of the company.

“It is right that there is a full and robust investigation into why the company failed, together with concerted efforts to recover monies for creditors and the taxpayer.

“This may include pursuit of possible claims against those responsible for the financial affairs of the company in previous years.”

If a newco can be salvaged from the demise of Rangers it’s unlikely that they will be in a condition to apply to the SPL for membership with the liquidation of the club likely to lead to a number of legal battles.

It’s unlikely that the SFA would transfer any punishments such as a transfer embargo to a newco since as the name suggests it will be a new legal entity.

With Rangers going into liquidation their players will become free agents although their registration reverts to the SFA rather than a member club

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

So far I've only heard this whole 'trophies taken away' bollocks from one set of fans, and that's you lot.

You should read the Aberdeen forums if you think we give you a hard time!!! :pac:

What are you babbling about? Newco Rangers will be buying assets from Rangers and they will buy the trophy cabinet but only fools will believe that the newco won them and rangers lives on.

Only fools believe that a company wins trophies.

Tell it to Fiorentina, Middlesbrough, Charlton,... that their trophies don't count anymore.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Assets transferred from a liquidated company to a brand new one are tangible. You can have all the replica cups in the world, in the biggest trophy room ever, but they won't be yours in reality.

You can't have your cake and eat it. If you need to apply for entry to the SPL or a lower league, it's because it ain't Rangers FC anymore - it's a new club. A new club starting from scratch with no history.

Leave behind all the debts but keep the history intact? :D Don't think so.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Assets transferred from a liquidated company to a brand new one are tangible. You can have all the replica cups in the world, in the biggest trophy room ever, but they won't be yours in reality.

You can't have your cake and eat it. If you need to apply for entry to the SPL or a lower league, it's because it ain't Rangers FC anymore - it's a new club. A new club starting from scratch with no history.

Leave behind all the debts but keep the history intact? :D Don't think so.

So you're saying a Newco should also not be punished what so ever for any wrong doings of the Oldco ?

Or wait, did you want that cake and eat it ? ;)

• Advertisement

Only fools believe that a company wins trophies.

Tell it to Fiorentina, Middlesbrough, Charlton,... that their trophies don't count anymore.

Dont forget that Juve are claiming 2 stripped titles as theirs aswell.

Dont forget that Juve are claiming 2 stripped titles as theirs aswell.

Yes, let's throw a completely different case in there.

Yes, let's throw a completely different case in there.

Its a club claiming something that isnt recognised by anyone else.

So you're saying a Newco should also not be punished what so ever for any wrong doings of the Oldco ?

Or wait, did you want that cake and eat it ? ;)

Well it seems that the big tax case is no longer an issue, so in that sense, the Newco will not be punished for the wrong-doings of the soon-to-cease Rangers FC. I would assume that the transfer embargo is also no longer an issue with the Newco.

As far as I'm concerned, the Newco should be able to apply for entry into Division 3, just like any other new club. That's best for everyone, including the new club. Rangers FC will be killed off, the £5.5m (or whatever it is) will be divided up between the creditors, and both HMRC and Ticketus can try to sue Whyte/Murray and whoever else for some more of their cash.

There should be absolutely no question of a new club walking straight into the SPL though. That would be an absolute disgrace, and would make a mockery of the SPL. I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen anyway.

Murray and Whyte were praying for a CVA to be agreed. Rejection of the CVA means that everything Rangers has done can and will be scrutinised by HMRC and others

Most likely, HMRC have said as much that rejection of the CVA means that BDO (the liquidators) can investigate everything and everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I wouldn't start making plans for the new Rangers/Govan Globetrotters just yet, how D&P think they can hand over at least £50million of assets to Green for 10% of their value without the creditors questioning the validity of the deal is beyond me.

These assets will be disputed for along time and I dont see it being sorted by August, the new liquidators have already stated D&P's contract with Green wont stand up.

Duff and Duffer have engineered another mess which surprise surprise will see them picking up cheques for another few months while Rangers fans are no closer to a resolution.

I'm calling it now this mess wont be sorted in time for a new club to play at Ibrox next season next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

bobmalooka wrote: »
    I wouldn't start making plans for the new Rangers/Govan Globetrotters just yet, how D&P think they can hand over at least £50million of assets to Green for 10% of their value without the creditors questioning the validity of the deal is beyond me.

That is the bit I don't get...how on earth can they get away with that? Then again I guess a lot of property developer did something very similar here didn't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

How The Scotsman sees a NewCo readmission vote going:
    ABERDEEN

The Pittodrie support, through their Trust, have been among the most vociferous opponents of a Rangers newco that would betray a “rigged system” in which there were clubs “too big too fail” and cause them to desert their club en masse. Their chairman, Stewart Milne, wants all this to go away. His club are £12m in debt, he is financing a £38m new stadium and would only say last month: “We will do what we believe is in the best interests of Aberdeen Football Club and Scottish football.”

How they might vote: Milne may be backed in to the ‘no’ corner by a support he cannot afford to lose.

CELTIC

They have deliberately said little beyond chief executive Peter Lawwell’s catch-all: “Our guiding principle is to do what is in the best interests of Celtic and our supporters, while upholding the interests and reputation of Scottish football.” The club that stands to lose most financially if there is no Rangers in the SPL, in any ideal world they wouldn’t want that but there would be a mass revolt among their support if they didn’t serve sporting integrity in the expected fashion.

How they might vote: A stick-on ‘no to newco’ because any other response would be commercial suicide.

DUNDEE UNITED

Owner Stephen Thompson has admitted to attitudes hardening over Rangers after they went to the civil courts. His mind seems to be being made up by a Tannadice faithful who are letting him know they will turn their back on the club if he favours a Rangers newco. “I was told that, at Motherwell at the end of last season, every turnstile had a poster above it saying ‘no to newco’. It was the same at Aberdeen. Fans are feeling very strongly about it. I have been sent hundreds of letters and emails on the subject. Some of them are from people who have been season-ticket holders for 30 years. I have made my mind up, which I won’t go public on. You have to listen to the fans as well but you have a responsibility to the club as well. That doesn’t necessarily mean I want them in. Don’t read too much in that.”

How they might vote: A probable ‘no’ but might be swayed with heavy sanctions for a newco Rangers.

HEARTS

On the line for around £600,000 in lost revenue if the TV deal takes a heavy hit with no Rangers in the SPL, money – including the £800,000 Rangers owe them for Lee Wallace – will dictate their attitude. Hence director Sergejus Fedotovas’ take: “Justice is very important but lessons learned are more valuable. Scottish football should not put all focus on the punishment.”

How they might vote: Certain to back a Rangers return.

HIBERNIAN

No-one has been more unequivocal about their rejection of a fiscal imperative to accept Rangers as a newco than Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie. “Fundamental to us at our club is to make sure the integrity of the game is not called into question and that the sporting integrity of the competition we take part in is maintained at the highest standards. It’s not a question of any sum of money in return for that integrity – integrity is beyond purchase. It’s important that all clubs can have a place within football, provided they have earned it in a sporting sense and also have abided by the rules. If we are called upon to make any decisions we will try to do the right thing and uphold the integrity of the competition that we are engaged in.”

How they might vote: A Rangers refusnik.

INVERNESS CT

Reacted angrily to Rangers’ Court of Session challenge to the SFA but won’t want any uncertainties over revenues when finances tight. Chairman Kenny Cameron said: “There is much still to discuss – but I hope this will bring certainty and closure to this issue. We just need to move on from this situation.”

How they might vote: Will want a Rangers in the SPL.

KILMARNOCK

There is no guesswork required to determine the intentions of club chairman Michael Johnston. “Members see the commercial benefits of having Rangers, even as a newco,” he said last month. “The clubs are mindful of a sporting integrity aspect, but the commercial benefits may outweigh that.”

How they might vote: Another certainty to accept any Rangers. Johnston has also cautioned against any further punishments for the club that plays out of Ibrox.

MOTHERWELL

Another club whose minds might be made up by their masses, the club’s proposed fan ownership model is dependent on listening to them. As they admitted in mealy-mouth fashion. “We do not believe we can separate the sporting integrity of our league from the sustainable future of our club – the two go hand-in-hand. Any decisions we take as a board are made in the best interests of the club with a view to achieving our stated aims for ownership and funding. [A newco proposal we would] fully discuss with representatives of our supporters’ groups, prior to making any decision.”

How they might vote: The rank and file seem to be pushing them reluctantly towards the ‘no’ camp.

ROSS COUNTY

The newest member of the 11, they are not financially dependent on the SPL, in whatever form it takes. Their chairman Roy MacGregor’s stance reflects that. “I will listen to the arguments. I will not prejudge. We are taking a calculated risk on our budget for next season and it was done before this situation. It will make no difference,” he said.

How they might vote: For their first season among the elite they could feel cheated if there was no Rangers. File under “don’t know”.

ST JOHNSTONE

Contradictory noises have come from chairman Steven Brown. Has said his club don’t need Rangers but that it would be a “disaster” if the brand was lost to the SPL. Then last week he stated: “I certainly will not let Rangers in without sanctions. The feeling from the people I’ve spoken to is they won’t let Rangers in with a ‘get out free card’.”

How they might vote: Will vote Rangers in with the right penalty tariff.

ST MIRREN

Another of the swaying brigade, chairman Stewart Gilmour has previously stated Scottish football needs “a strong Rangers and a strong Celtic” but lacerated the Ibrox club for their legal recourse beyond the game. St Mirren’s position will be determined by whether any newco vote is held before 4 July, when ownership of the club is set to transfer to a supporters’ group.

How they might vote: If the current board are still in place Rangers will be supported, if the fans group have taken over perhaps not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

That's a no prediction to newcoRangers in the SPL next season so from The Scotsman. They need the support of 8 of the 12 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Front page of todays Herald
    002ptch.jpg

Link to a bigger picture
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/002qso.jpg/

• Advertisement

That's a no prediction to newcoRangers in the SPL next season so from The Scotsman. They need the support of 8 of the 12 I think.

Hmmmm, looking at it like that, I'm not so sure.... it could be tight. I think there's probably only 3 absolute definites there (Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen). I think the others could sway either way tbh.

Personally, I think the fact that the idea of a new club walking straight into the SPL is even being discussed is shambolic. This shouldn't even be going to a vote - the SPL should simply be refusing entry of a new club straight into the league. The SPL and SFA have no balls though.

Front page of todays Herald
    002ptch.jpg

Link to a bigger picture
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/002qso.jpg/

Still no broken crest???????? :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Hmmmm, looking at it like that, I'm not so sure.... it could be tight. I think there's probably only 3 absolute definites there (Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen). I think the others could sway either way tbh.

Personally, I think the fact that the idea of a new club walking straight into the SPL is even being discussed is shambolic. This shouldn't even be going to a vote - the SPL should simply be refusing entry of a new club straight into the league. The SPL and SFA have no balls though.

Very hard to tell how the vote will go but I think it will most likely be passed if there are heavy sanctions against Rangers, the problem then might be the SPL persuading Rangers to accept heavy sanctions.

There is a real lack of leadership from the SPL & SFA chiefs on this whole issue, the SFA for example must know what UEFA/FIFA's view is on the issue and what penalties the football governing bodies believe to be fair. Also has there been any talks between the SPL and SKY/ESPN to see if they are going to walk if Rangers are out of the SPL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RoryMac wrote: »
    Also has there been any talks between the SPL and SKY/ESPN to see if they are going to walk if Rangers are out of the SPL?

Can they walk?

Is it known if such a clause exists in the contract that there has to be two Glasgow teams, one in Ibrox?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Des wrote: »
    Can they walk?

Is it known if such a clause exists in the contract that there has to be two Glasgow teams, one in Ibrox?

Apparently there is, it was put there I guess to protect against either of the clubs looking to move to another league but it is being widely mentioned as a reason for Rangers being allowed stay in the SPL. The loss of TV revenue would be a big blow to most of the SPL teams.

I'd love to know what UEFA/FIFA's view is on such a clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Des wrote: »
    RoryMac wrote: »
    Also has there been any talks between the SPL and SKY/ESPN to see if they are going to walk if Rangers are out of the SPL?

Can they walk?

The SPL confirmed the new sky deal starting this year is dependent on four old firm games a season. If it doesn't happen, they have the right to rip up the deal or renegotiate a lower amount.

I believe we'll be in division 3, and I'm quite happy for that to happen.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    The SPL confirmed the new sky deal starting this year is dependent on four old firm games a season. If it doesn't happen, they have the right to rip up the deal or renegotiate a lower amount.

Who's we? come friday Rangers are gone, they aren't being demoted they are gone.

bobmalooka wrote: »
    TheBuilder wrote: »

Who's we? come friday Rangers are gone, they aren't being demoted they are gone.

I believe D&P are already organising a mass fan transfer from Rangers to NewClub, it will be so seemless most will hardly notice they are supporting a completely new entity :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I believe D&P are already organising a mass fan transfer from Rangers to NewClub, it will be so seemless most will hardly notice they are supporting a completely new entity :p.

Unless they change their colours into Green and White :P

It will still be Rangers, the only thing that changes is the company that would hold the SPL/SFL/whatever league we play in license.

The trophies and titles were won by Rangers FC, not The Rangers Football Club plc.

• Advertisement

Looks like HMRC will be going after Whyte, Murray and all the former directors for the tax liability before Rangers will be wound up. Someone is going to pay for it all yet! I believe that Rangers(in administration) will still be in existence next year! HMRC will scrutinise everything and all the tactics Murray/Whyte used as they build up to take on the EPL clubs for their liabilities. They will be a hot knife through butter with the next club.

Seems Charles was a bit hasty with his "players must move to Newco" line:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2012/06/13/rangers-in-crisis-players-will-not-be-in-breach-of-contract-if-they-refuse-to-join-newco-says-union-chief-86908-23895504/

Surprised he came out with that to be honest. Surely when a company is liquidated, all bets are off as regards employment contracts should the employee not agree to move to the new entity.

The players union have been reiterating that stance since the first mention of a newco but neither the SPL or D&P said anything until this point. EU Law protects the players and I'd imagine the rules that the SPL has in place regarding a newco (i.e. contracts transferred to the SPL then to the newco) would fall flat on its face if taken to court.

Seems Charles was a bit hasty with his "players must move to Newco" line:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2012/06/13/rangers-in-crisis-players-will-not-be-in-breach-of-contract-if-they-refuse-to-join-newco-says-union-chief-86908-23895504/

Surprised he came out with that to be honest. Surely when a company is liquidated, all bets are off as regards employment contracts should the employee not agree to move to the new entity.

He has made quite a few gaffs recently, I am sure threatening the players with legal action will endear them to his new regime. I am beginning to come around to the idea that his public statements prior to the CVA were designed to ensure it failed.

I get the feeling that it won't be too long before the supporters of Rangers 2012 will have the "Green Out" banners at the ready.

He has made quite a few gaffs recently, I am sure threatening the players with legal action will endear them to his new regime. I am beginning to come around to the idea that his public statements prior to the CVA were designed to ensure it failed.

I get the feeling that it won't be too long before the supporters of Rangers 2012 will have the "Green Out" banners at the ready.

of course he wanted the CVA to fail. He offered £8 or so million while telling everyone he had almost 3 times that to blow on new players, he's been around the block and knew that would make any creditors blood boil. and Gattuso :D the icing on the cake

Also look at his record in business. he buys business that are struggling and liquidates them, gutting what he can on the way.

I'd love to know has he any connections to a certain Mr Whyte or any his mystery money men do.

Rangers 2012 fans are an awfull long way from seeing their proposed club play football, I doubt Greens purchase of Rangers assets will go unchallanged. Hard to see it being ironed out before the season starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It will still be Rangers, the only thing that changes is the company that would hold the SPL/SFL/whatever league we play in license.

The trophies and titles were won by Rangers FC, not The Rangers Football Club plc.

The titles will be going to the grave with Rangers.

The new co will have some catching up to do but we welcome the chase :pac:

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The titles will be going to the grave with Rangers.

The new co will have some catching up to do but we welcome the chase :pac:

What part of 'It will still be Rangers FC' did you not get ?

Again, because you seem to be unable to grasp this: It's not the company that wins titles.

Those titles have been won by Rangers FC, the football club.
    And if the company behind Rangers FC changes that doesn't mean the club is dead.

We all know that the average Celtic fan will keep repeating this 'Your history is gone' crap ad nauseum, but that doesn't make it any more true.

What part of 'It will still be Rangers FC' did you not get ?

Again, because you seem to be unable to grasp this: It's not the company that wins titles.

Those titles have been won by Rangers FC, the football club.
    And if the company behind Rangers FC changes that doesn't mean the club is dead.

We all know that the average Celtic fan will keep repeating this 'Your history is gone' crap ad nauseum, but that doesn't make it any more true.

I didn't "get it" because you're wrong.

You can Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better but the record books will say different. You start at zero.

I'm not wrong, but if it makes you feel better then be my guest.

• Advertisement

I'm not wrong, but if it makes you feel better then be my guest.

You're having a hard time grasping what liquidation is all about.

The denial is gas

You're having a worse time understanding the difference between the club and the company behind it.

You're having a worse time understanding the difference between the club and the company behind it.

Unreal...The club is the company.

When Rangers FC face liquidation they will cease to exist.

Everything is wiped.

A new company has nothing to do with the fact the the old company was liquidated. It's a separate entity.

If we follow your logic then we should be able to keep the title from 1891 ?
    Or wait, let me guess... 'that's different' ?

Are you going to be trotting this "defence" out for the next few months until you finally grasp whats happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You're having a hard time grasping what liquidation is all about.
    It happened at Napoli didn't it? And they still have all their titles.

• Advertisement

Unreal...The club is the company.

When Rangers FC face liquidation they will cease to exist.

Everything is wiped.

A new company has nothing to do with the fact the the old company was liquidated. It's a separate entity.

So before 1899 there was no Rangers ?

For the last ****ing time: The club is not the company.

The titles, trophies, honours,... were won by the players, the managers, the club members,... and not the company.

The company is the legal entity, but that can always change without having any impact on the history of the club.

It's been done by other clubs in the past, will be done in the future by other clubs too and it's only you lot who seem to be unwilling (because it's not that you're unable) to grasp this.

Face it: Your wet dream of Rangers being completely gone won't happen, no matter how hard you claim it will happen.

eagle eye: And with Charlton, with Fiorentina, with Middlesbrough,...

eagle eye wrote: »
    It happened at Napoli didn't it? And they still have all their titles.

The titles, trophies, honours,... were won by the players, the managers, the club members,... and not the company.

The company is the legal entity, but that can always change without having any impact on the history of the club.

It's been done by other clubs in the past, will be done in the future by other clubs too and it's only you lot who seem to be unwilling (because it's not that you're unable) to grasp this.

Face it: Your wet dream of Rangers being completely gone won't happen, no matter how hard you claim it will happen.

Starting a new co is all in the name, it's new. Rangers are being liquidated.

How can Rangers 2012 claim to have won anything in 2010 when they weren't even born?

Explain how what is currently happening Rangers differs from Airdrieonians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Explain how what is currently happening Rangers differs from Airdrieonians?

Airdrieonians went bust and didnt come back. They were refused entry into the league in favour of gretna (That worked well!)

Airdrie Utd are what became of Clydebank after Ballantyne took control of them, changed their name and moved them to Airdrie.
    It could be argued that Airdrie Utd are closer to Clydebank than they are to Airdrieonians.

That is not the plan, at the moment, for Rangers. They will not be taking over another clubs league share and they won't be coming back as another "club" in a purely football sense.

Jelle come friday morning there will be no football club operating from Ibrox called Rangers.

IF at some stage in the future some clever businessman buys Ibrox and sets up a new football club it will be just that a new football club.

Its not a change of legal entity, Rangers will cease to exist.....this week.

There is no switching of assets or companies, the liquidators will try to sell the assets to the highest bidder(think of a closing down sale). Green will bring them to court saying his buddies Duff and Duffer said he can have them on the cheap and life will go on without ye're club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement