Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VTech Hack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

I don't understand why this isn't getting more coverage. Not a peep on Sky news. What's the conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

sneakyST wrote: »
    I don't understand why this isn't getting more coverage. Not a peep on Sky news. What's the conspiracy?

Agreed. This should be a massive concern to people with kids that have the affected devices, however since there is no money at risk (from what I can see) then it's not sexy news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Agreed. This should be a massive concern to people with kids that have the affected devices, however since there is no money at risk (from what I can see) then it's not sexy news.

It grows, 6+ million kids now affected, stolen Data now also includes names, email addresses, passwords, mailing addresses, and download history - add a social security No to that and it's worth $30 online.

A Pedos Treasure Trove this is turning into.

No sign of any of the Data online yet though.

The Cloud Server operator here ToyTalk, also handles Mattels Hello Barbie Feature which has also been shown to be full of gaping holes (in a statement though they've said that they have fixed some of them:rolleyes::pac:) it to can be made show the address of where the Barbie is.
    The FTC declined to confirm or deny any probe of VTech. Authorities in Hong Kong, the United Kingdom and the U.S. states of Connecticut and Illinois have said they are looking into the breach.

Yea right, what ever comes from these breaches?? Nothing! So why would they bother spending money securing their products. Speaking of money though, VTech Stock is down 2% (only:eek:), thats the only thing they'd take notice of.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vtech-cyberattack-kids-analysis-idUSKBN0TP0FQ20151206

http://www.cnet.com/news/hello-headaches-barbie-of-the-internet-age-has-even-more-security-flaws/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭pah

Eh.. I've a couple of innotab max for the kids this Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Barbie has gaping holes?!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭pah

So the Innotab was no good this morning - required registration via the tablet but the learning lodge site was down. firmware upgrade not working either. managed to download a firmware and run it on sd card so game cartridges will work but nearly everything else is a no go. I imagine it will stay the same until the new year when they work out the security patches they need.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are saying mid to end of January before this is up and running.
    I tried the firmware update as well. It still goes through the registration loop if you try get into parental settings etc.
    I am baffled this has not got more publicity also,they must have sold tones of these coming up to Christmas.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All is not well yet..
    I connected a device and was offered the new firmware. It keeps downloading and updating but firmware remains the same with no option to register the device.

• Advertisement

Ang they're back!!!

With a few new T&Cs.

"You acknowledge and agree that any information you send or receive during your use of the site may not be secure and may be intercepted or later acquired by unauthorized parties."

A boycott on their products called for by some.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35532644

Not managed that very well at all. Clowns.

They sell alot of expensive crap.

Advertisement