Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Road Tolls - Locations + Prices

Options
  • 22-10-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭

Compared to France, where you expect almost every km of Motorway to have a Toll, or Germany where there are no tolls, Ireland has a very patchy and unpredictable application of Tolls.
    Large swathes of motorway have no toll, actually entire routes have no toll. But others do. Some tunnels are built and they have a toll, but elsewhere not.

So I've decided to start a thread to log current Toll locations and upcoming ones for people like myself that cant keep track of which roads are and which aren't tolled.
    Of upcoming schemes I only know of the M3 being tolled. Which other major schemes are also in the line for tolling?
    And which ones come out of the governmental randomiser that their part of the world gets a motorway for free?

NOTE: to me a toll is something I have to pay. If the government pays for usage then thats their, errrrrr the irish taxpayers, problem.

Current Tolls:
    M8 Rathcormac/ Fermoy Bypass (Dublin to Cork)

M1 (Dublin to Belfast)

M4 ( Dublin to Sligo(/Galway))

M50 (Dublin Ring Road)
    Location: The M50 motorway is a radial route around Dublin and Toll is between Junction 6 (N3 Blanchardstown) and Junction 7 (N4 Lucan).

Dublin East Link Toll Bridge
    Location: The toll bridge is located in the Dublin docklands area.

DUBLIN PORT TUNNEL

N25 Waterford Bypass
    Location: River Suir Bridge North of Waterford City linking the N25 from Cork to the N24/N9

Toll Prices
    http://www.nra.ie/GeneralTollingInformation/KnowTheToll/

Upcoming Tolls:
    M3 Dublin to Cavan
    Toll 2 - Between Navan and Kells
    M6 Dublin to Galway
    Location - Cappaghtaggle about 10? km west of Ballinasloe
    M7 Dublin to Limerick
    Location - west of Portlaoise (a few km before the M7/8 split).
    N7 Limerick by pass
    Location - toll on Limerick Tunnel

Completely Toll Free:
    M9 Dublin to Waterford.
    M11 Dublin to Wicklow
    M18/ M17 Limerick to Tuam
    M2 Dublin to Ashbourne (abeit no use to anyone going North due to bridge at Slane, so I would consider the M2 and N2 to be separate routes if I may, as 99% of drivers from Derry/ Donegal would)
    N25 Jack Lynch Tunnel (Cork City)
    In planning
    M20 Cork to Limerick

Upcoming but is it in the current plan to be tolled??
    M?? DOORS - Leinster Orbital Route
    N25 Cork Northern Ring (West, Ballincollig-Blarney)
    N25 Cork Northern Ring (North, Blarney to Middleton Road)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

M6 toll at Cappaghtaggle (about 10? km west of Ballinasloe)
    M7 toll west of Portlaoise (a few km before the M7/8 split).
    N7 toll on Limerick Tunnel

Both in planning.

M18 wont be tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Cork-Dublin will also get another toll with completion of M7/M8 south of Portlaoise will it not? Afaik it's not just the Limerick leg that will be tolled.

Incidentally, if you are south of the Shannon in Limerick (as most of the city is) it's only one toll to use motorway/DC from Limerick to Dublin M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Compared to France, where you expect almost every km of Motorway to have a Toll,
    Large sections of motorway in France have no tolls;
    Almost all the motorways in Brittany are toll free,
    The A75 is free,
    Ring roads of all major cities are free,
    There are loads of motorways there that aren't autoroute which are nearly all free. To take near Perpignan as an example, the D900, D914, N116 and D917 are motorway for a decent amount of the way along them.
    M50 (Dublin Ring Road)
    Location: The M50 motorway is a radial route around Dublin and Toll is between Junction 6 (N3 Blanchardstown) and Junction 7 (N4 Lucan).

DUBLIN PORT TUNNEL
    These two tolls are on the same route, the port tunnel is the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

point to note about the M4 - the entire motorway between J8 (Kilcock) and J12 (Kinnegad) is tolled i.e. if you get off after the stretch starts or get on before it ends, you will pay the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

These two tolls are on the same route, the port tunnel is the M50
    The port tunnel and the M50 are the same? but don't you pay at 2 different places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Zoney wrote: »
    Cork-Dublin will also get another toll with completion of M7/M8 south of Portlaoise will it not? Afaik it's not just the Limerick leg that will be tolled.

Yeah I think it's tolled on both legs. So the inter urbans are like this:

M6: 1
    M7: 1
    M8: 2
    M9: 0

The NRA messed up on these, 2 on the M8 where there is none on the M9. Very unfair tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Large sections of motorway in France have no tolls;
    Almost all the motorways in Brittany are toll free,

This isn't a happy coincidence - it's the result of an ancient political agreement that all roads in Brittany should be free. (the agreement was made in 1532, apparently).
    The A75 is free,

The A75 has a tolled bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

tech2 wrote: »

The NRA messed up on these, 2 on the M8 where there is none on the M9. Very unfair tbh.

That's not entirely representative - as it is M6/M4: 2 (M6 is only part of the Galway-Dublin interurban), and N7/M7: 2 (Limerick tunnel toll will be on N7).

The M9 - well, that is not surprising as it wouldn't be attractive to a private operation. Even the shadow toll arrangement mooted for M17/M18 looks like it won't attract anyone. Even on the major routes - note the toll locations - all on the heavier used parts of the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

tech2 wrote: »

Don't you see the coincidence between the planning stages being at the time Martin E voting Cullen was MOT...now where does the M9 go??? Ah oh yes Waterford.....Mind they do have a toll on Suir bridge.
    Zoney wrote: »
    The M9 - well, that is not surprising as it wouldn't be attractive to a private operation. Even the shadow toll arrangement mooted for M17/M18 looks like it won't attract anyone. Even on the major routes - note the toll locations - all on the heavier used parts of the routes.

Yes exactly - the traffic volumes do not actually warrant full scale motorways on routes like the N17 and N9, 2+2 DC would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The N25 one at the Waterford bridge is close enough to the M9 to be considered I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 hiwayman

with 2 tolls on the M3 that means stopping twice :mad: may as well have traffic lights :D anyway, anyone know how much they'll cost?

Advertisement