Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

park on south Douglas road as close to south link underpass as possible

Options
  • 25-11-2015 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Only just got my full licence and need to drive to rochestown park hotel on Sunday. To avoid Douglas village and the link(chicken I know!!) was thinking of driving to south Douglas road(as close to link underpass as possible) and walking from there. Haven't a clue about that part of the city. Assume plenty of estates where I could leave car for 6 hours during the day??? Or should I head to Douglas crt shopping centre and can I park there without getting clamped? It'll be my first trip without accompanying driver and typical its to a place I'm not at all familiar with !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Where are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just park at the hotel?? Decent sized car park around the back of the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just park at the hotel?? Decent sized car park around the back of the hotel.

OP is trying to avoid driving through Douglas or using the link as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mordeith wrote: »
    OP is trying to avoid driving through Douglas or using the link as I see it.

But they said they might consider parking in Douglas Court. If they're going to go there might as well carry on the extra couple of hundred metres and park at the hotel.

But they said they might consider parking in Douglas Court. If they're going to go there might as well carry on the extra couple of hundred metres and park at the hotel.
    Exactly. The hotel is about 100 m from the back exit of Douglas Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

My bad. Very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Op here. To be honest I don't fancy having to find my way out of the shopping centre and wondering which way to drive. It's my first time there. And I know if I was in Wilton shopping centre and wasnt familiar with it would be added stress trying to find eg the CUH exit. Also looks like you have to go through Douglas village to hotel?
    Anyway I take it parking on south Douglas Street isn't an option? Have no problem walking 20 mins to get to hotel so s hoping this would be a solution. In a month or so I'd be OK driving to unfamiliar places but right now the just driving on my own is the hurdle I'm tackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I think just go for it, accept the stress and do it. You'll learn faster that way.

I know that but i also know myself!! My mammy taught me to be as negative as possible and i know if I have a bad experience I'll just avoid driving. Don't really need a car so can get by without which is a shame really. Want to build confidence slowly-i know how I work!! Can cycle to rochestown park hotel if comes to it . Was forcing myself to drive most of ways.
    So is there parking on south Douglas. Road??? That's all I want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

seefin, best thing to do is park at the hotel.

If you know the way to Douglas, then use street view on google maps, and view the route from Douglas to the hotel. It's not very far, and you'll be able to see the road before you even have to travel it, giving you a good idea of where to go, the route, and the entrance to the hotel from the road.

Start here from Douglas Court SC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

OP i'm the same (albeit Dublin) and ive been driving a good few years.

My advice get on google maps street view, and virtually drive difficult/busy parts of journey to learn what lane etc you should be in. You can do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

seefin wrote: »
    I know that but i also know myself!! My mammy taught me to be as negative as possible and i know if I have a bad experience I'll just avoid driving. Don't really need a car so can get by without which is a shame really. Want to build confidence slowly-i know how I work!! Can cycle to rochestown park hotel if comes to it . Was forcing myself to drive most of ways.
    So is there parking on south Douglas. Road??? That's all I want to know.

You could drive the route early on Saturday or Sunday morning when it is quiet to get a feel for it and you could also then check out some of the estates on route for possible parking. You should be able to park in one of the estates but the closer you get to Douglas the less likely you are to find a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

If you are confident to drive to Douglas Court, the last 100m to the hotel is a doddle in comparison. However, taking a right turn on to Rochestown Road coming back out of the hotel car park can be tricky.

Sunday morning should be fairly quiet but if you want to park on South Douglas Road there is some on-street parking by the side entrance to Douglas Community School, or you could park in one of the residential areas near the main entrance to the school. I'm pretty sure there is no clamping for street parking in Douglas on a Sunday, or any day for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If you are confident to drive to Douglas Court, the last 100m to the hotel is a doddle in comparison. However, taking a right turn on to Rochestown Road coming back out of the hotel car park can be tricky.

Turn left out of the hotel. Take the next right at the lights in to the housing estate. Turn in there and come back out turning left...job done easily :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Seefin the other options you are suggesting will just complicate the process and would actually be more stressful. If you park at the hotel it will be the easiest solution. Getting in and out of the South Douglas Road or parking in Douglas Court is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anyonme remember the old roundabout as you came into Douglas? Now that was a nightmare to negoiate, it was still there when I was an L plate driver.

As for the OP, I'd echo the sentiment and get on Goggle maps, its helped me find my way to places in Dublin and its a doddle to use, as for parking in the estates, its an option alright and theres one or two on the Douglas road before the AIB bank that you could slip into and walk the 15 or so mins to the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Op I would also recommend just parking at the hotel. It's a lot worse in your head than it actually is!

Google maps street view is great, you can see the road markings and what lanes you should be in etc..therefore you know exactly where you need to go before taking the journey. If you take a wrong turn its not the end of the world anyway. Also open google maps to use as sat nav on your phone if you have it.

You passed your test which means you are perfectly capable.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anyonme remember the old roundabout as you came into Douglas? Now that was a nightmare to negoiate, it was still there when I was an L plate driver.
    My first introduction to driving was around 13 on this roundabout, my mum told me to grab the wheel so she could adjust something on the dash...

Traffic flowed much better then though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

TheChizler wrote: »
    My first introduction to driving was around 13 on this roundabout, my mum told me to grab the wheel so she could adjust something on the dash...

Traffic flowed much better then though!

Is this you?

douglas-village-roundabout-1992.jpg?w=791&h=517

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats an old photo, must be late 80's early 90's judging by the cars in the picture.

• Advertisement

Tried street view Tuesday. Stupid yellow man has a life of his own. Would have been as quick in reality!! Been surviving on 4 hrs sleep the past month (chronic insomniac) so nerves frazzled and incapable of remembering which lane and lane etc. Will see if sleep Saturday night and if feel upto it.its the coming home at 6 pm and rush hour traffic,darkness is my biggest problem. Thanks for all the advice.

seefin wrote: »
    Tried street view Tuesday. Stupid yellow man has a life of his own. Would have been as quick in reality!! Been surviving on 4 hrs sleep the past month (chronic insomniac) so nerves frazzled and incapable of remembering which lane and lane etc. Will see if sleep Saturday night and if feel upto it.its the coming home at 6 pm and rush hour traffic,darkness is my biggest problem. Thanks for all the advice.
    Well it's the left lane all the way, but in that case would you not be better off getting the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Go for a dry run during the quiet times.

I understand your concerns of making mistakes and inconveniencing other drivers but if you look at google maps that should help.

Ive been driving for over Ten years and when it comes to driving on strange busy roads I get a bit flustered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

OP, you'll spend so much time in stationary traffic you'll have plenty of time to choose the route and change lanes when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats an old photo, must be late 80's early 90's judging by the cars in the picture.

Filename says 1992 but I'd have thought 80's for sure.

Advertisement