Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Repairs needed for Nexus 7

Options
  • 24-09-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a Nexus 7 repaired? I presume an ipad repairshop would have the skills and equipment but maybe not the parts.

I need to get my two month old unit repaired. The screen has a hairline crack in the top corner and is no longer responding to touch. All other parts seem to be working fine.

I am not sure how the crack happened. I have it in a protective case for it but it must have fallen or something.

I contacted ASUS and it seems cheaper to get a new one than to get it repaired. ASUS support were quite unhelpful. They won't give even an indicative quote until I send them the unit. So I may spend €40 (return delivery) to be told its too expensive to fix.

I am now finding many threads in AndroidCentral etc on this same topic. The glass doesn't seem to be strong enough for something that is in everyday use.
    I suspect I am not the first in Ireland to have this problem so hopefully there's a cheaper way. At least I got two months out of it. On Androidcentral some only had it two days before it got damaged.

If I can't get it repaired at a reasonable price then I don't think I'd bother. I don't think I'd get a new one either. It was a great device but I don't think I would feel comfortable using it if it breaks that easily.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Have you tried to convince them to fix it under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Have you tried to convince them to fix it under warranty?

Asus asked me to send a photo of the damage and then came back to say that the damaged is not covered by warranty. I argued that it just got normal wear and tear but they were not interested - their response felt like a PFO.

I am very disappointed. I had been recommending this product to friends and colleagues and was planning on buying one for a family member.

But they're just too fragile. I am asking myself do I want another one of these if I have to keep it in cotton wool. Tablets like these will be in regular day-to-day use. What good are they if they crack that easily?

I have been looking across the web and screens cracking seems to be a common problem. In many cases, there doesn't seem to have been a fall or drop. There are reports of units cracking for no reason and reports of units cracking under the pressure of thumbs as the owners were typing on the screen.

Right now, my advice to anyone thinking of buying is to hold off until this screen issue is resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iratira

Yeh mine broke too. Bought another with insurance this time. Seems a real waste. The other one is cast aside, all for a tiny crack on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Srch

Hi there,

Anyone with a broken nexus still around? I bought the replacement screen digitizer assembly, only to damage the ribbon cable in the repair process :( Having spent 50 quid on the screen, I'd like to give one more go at fixing the damn thing, so please pm me or rreply if you're ok with me "cannibalizing" your broken nexus for parts. The screen must be turning on, only digitizer damage...

Thanks,

Sergio.

Advertisement