Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Contract for mobile speed cameras signed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

celticbest wrote: »
    EH??? RTE News! & Live Drive!!
    And who told them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Victor wrote: »
    And who told them?

I presume the Gardaí otherwise this would be false reporting from two usually very reliable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

BrianD wrote: »
    It's funny how this malarky always comes up. When we talk about the blood alcohol level being lowered, people ask why isn't speed being adressed. yada yada. It is so typically Irish. We never hold ourseleves accountable for our actions and we will fight tooth and nail anything that might catch us in the act. Even when we are caught fair and square we spend thousands in the legal system trying extricate ourselves. When will we accept responsibility for our behaviour?

My post was in response to a poster who suggested cameras should replace real human Garda. Do you really think a machine which can do one thing only, that is detect speeding, is a good replacement for a Garda who can detect a whole range of driving offences that contribute to crashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

The company is paid a flat fee for the service no matter how many people are nabbed. Of course people want to know how it's funded but this does not mean that the financial issues are ahead of safety issues as you presume.
    Financial issues should play no part whatsoever. In any case the costs should be recouped from the savings made by the reduction in road deaths and injuries.
    The fine hurts more than the points. Believe me I discovered this the other day. 2 points I could live with, the 80 euro made me sit up take notice and change my behaviour.
    Removing the fine takes the financial motive out of the location selection for operation of the cameras and makes it 100% about road safety.
    They have stated that they will publish locations on the Garda web site (they are right now). What you are asking is ridiculous and is a red herring to avoid the real issue of speeding. There are obviously areas that merit cameras but there also needs to be random enforcement.
    Why should they be accountable to no one. There is a deep suspicion amount motorists that speed cameras are all about making money for the Government. If they want motorists and the public's support then there needs to be accountability and transparency. I would like to know for example how many lives have been saved since the introduction of the speed trap on the Naas road outside Coca Cola. Has this speed trap contributed to improving road safety? How much revenue has it generated? Could it possibly be placed elsewhere to have a better impact on road accidents? Why are we not given access to this data, what have they got to hide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

. I would like to know for example how many lives have been saved since the introduction of the speed trap on the Naas road outside Coca Cola. Has this speed trap contributed to improving road safety? How much revenue has it generated? Could it possibly be placed elsewhere to have a better impact on road accidents? Why are we not given access to this data, what have they got to hide?

Interesting point on the naas road there are very few other road users on this stretch of road, i rarely see anyone walk on the paths and cant recall the last time I saw someone on a bike there.

Park a squad car on the side of the road there in plain view in improve road safety, park a gatso van there and its really just about collecting fines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Financial issues should play no part whatsoever. In any case the costs should be recouped from the savings made by the reduction in road deaths and injuries.

But that's not how things work. Everything has to be costed and funded from a source. It makes perfect sense to fund the cameras from the fines generated. Savings from something that doesn't happen can't fund the project
    Removing the fine takes the financial motive out of the location selection for operation of the cameras and makes it 100% about road safety.
    Fines still work and possibly have greater effect then points at the moment. The company still get paid irrespective if they catch 2 people or 200,000 people speeding. The tender already specifies the criteria for location selection. It makes no sense not to have a fine.
    Why should they be accountable to no one. There is a deep suspicion amount motorists that speed cameras are all about making money for the Government. If they want motorists and the public's support then there needs to be accountability and transparency.
    They are accountable as it's a government tender with a specification. Let's cut to the chase here. The real reason for "suspicion" is Irish peoples inability to hold themselves accountable for their own action. If you are doing 140 on a 120 motorway then you are still speeding. Let's stop making excuses that it as a "safe road" or "safe speeding".
    I would like to know for example how many lives have been saved since the introduction of the speed trap on the Naas road outside Coca Cola. Has this speed trap contributed to improving road safety? How much revenue has it generated? Could it possibly be placed elsewhere to have a better impact on road accidents? Why are we not given access to this data, what have they got to hide?

I would say it's an obvious reminder that speeding in urban areas is not tolerable either. As it happens, there is a lot of lane changing on that particular stretch ofroad so it makes perfect sense to have a low limit and enforce it. I have no idea how much revenue it generates but I would say in the grand scheme of things it's irrelavant. It would take 1,250 detections at that location to generate €100K. In any case, to be effective cameras have to be in the obvious and not so obvious places, covert and overt. It's a strategy that works well in Australia.

Advertisement