Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Building/Architecture appreciation thread

Options
  • 03-05-2015 1:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the Classic era, < c500AD, what are people's favourite or most interesting built structures.
    To start off, partially coming from an engineering background, is the Pont du Gard Roman aqueduct: a good mix of design and function.
    640px-Pont_du_Gard_BLS.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The Pantheon is Rome has to be one of the greatest buildings on the planet. Built of Roman concrete that has lasted ca. 2000 years, the skill incorporated in its construction has not been equalled since it was built. That wondrous roof diminishes in thickness from the base walls to the hole in the top of the roof - just how did they do that? The answer MAY be that it was built using moulded sections, raised into position and held in place on wooden scaffolding.

Quote - 'Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus [the hole in the roof peak] and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3 metres (142 ft).'

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yup, the Pantheon was the one that came to my mind, even before I read Tac's post. Not just a marvel on account of the engineering and technical aspects, but a masterclass in the use of proportion and symmetry to achieve an emotional effect.

Ayia Sophia in Istanbul.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

tac foley wrote: »
    Ayia Sophia in Istanbul.

tac
    Nitpick: Strictly speaking, outside the OP's term's of reference, as the current structure wasn't built until the sixth century. And it's not usually bracketed in architecture of the classical period; on the contrary, it's considered one of the seminal buildings of the Byzantine period.

I'm assuming, then, that you are posting only Greek or Roman structures from THAT particular 'classical' period. There are, of course, many other examples of noteworthy buildings in the many non-Christian countries located east of Greece.

Are we to include them? And must we cover buildings that are still extant, rather than ruined or totally destroyed/obliterated? If so, then the great Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem HAS to be included.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Thanks for the posts. Just to clarify, the 500 AD is a rough approximation with the Classical being just a short hand to differentiate between the Middle Ages and Modern era.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

michelangelo-buildings-3.jpg

I really like the Basilica of San Lorenzo Library situated in Florence. There are quite a few building structures worthy of mention in Florence which have serious merits on their own but the Basilica Library in the centre of the straw market district is reputed to be the oldest as the church was consecrated in AD393 and is the final resting place for most of the Medici family.

This building houses a complex of uses and acts as an important connection between the pre renaissance architecture and the newer architecture which followed it. The building was built, remodeled, designed, redesigned, etc., once even by Filippo Brunelleschi and by Michelangelo and contains Michelangelo’s Laurentian Library.

What I actually love about it is that it served several uses over the centuries and was adapted for each use but still looks fantastic today, you can really get a sense of the building if you just hug it, absorb it's essence, ingest its aura, spend several hours in its magnificent presence.... I better stop before I feel the need to be there again......:o

Advertisement