Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would like to write my first book

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    No, Scrivener does sound perfect. Could be more interactive, but that'll probably happen sooner or later.

I'll download the trial. But, you know, 33 euros is a lot of money when you have nothing :P
    Believe me ... I know what you're saying. Keep in mind that there's eating and drinking in it. Lots to learn. Homework to do before blasting away. Before you start with any work do two things: Watch the tutorial videos and inside the program in the Help menu there is 'interactive tutorial'. The actual Manual is crazily huge and complex. The 'interactive tutorial' is like a cut down simplified and better structured manual.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Try Storybook if you want a free alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Piliger wrote: »
    Index cards ?

I don't usually offer advice, but, I do use index cards for my characters. Basic stuff at first, than add more info as the story unfolds and the characters grow.
    Staple the index cards into a folder and use a different folder for your plot, just to keep things in line. This stops me going off on silly tangents.
    This system works, for me.
    Eventually, you get to know your characters, and will get to 'know' them very well as the story-line progresses.
    Advice from many people is (I found) confusing.
    Begin your story and let it flow, flow, flow...
    You will probably use only 30% after it's edited, then edit it again, and again...than, get somebody else to edit it.
    You'll be lucky to end up with 10%, but that 10% will be worth all the hassle.
    After each Chapter is complete, put it aside and wait six weeks (no less, and NO peeking) before reading over it at your leisure.
    You will be greatly surprised by your own work.
    Forget about publishers until you have a book finished, to your satisfaction.

Best of luck with your venture. ;)

Advertisement