Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Past Late Date. Presenters

• 10-10-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

With Lillian Smith gone from Late Date I was trying to remember other past presenters.

The earliest I remember was Morgan O'Sullivan (early 80s)
    Myles Dungan
    Neil O'Shea
    Val Joyce
    I know Marty Whelan filled in for hols as did Aonghus MacAnally. Also I seem to remember Maxi presenting but not sure if that was as fill in or as a long term presenter.

Have I forgotten anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I think maxi did it for a good few years, (iirc). I haven't heard it in years though. Any good??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mykola

Liam Nolan, Derek Davis, Mark Costigan. John creedon in the late 80s and again from 2006-2009. Maxi presented it at weekends from the early 90s till 2000. Val Joyce presented it weekdays from 1989-2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Mykola wrote: »
    Liam Nolan, Derek Davis, Mark Costigan. John creedon in the late 80s and again from 2006-2009. Maxi presented it at weekends from the early 90s till 2000. Val Joyce presented it weekdays from 1989-2006.

Had forgotten about Liam Nolan and Mark Costigan. I seem to remember John Creedon not being too happy when he was moved to that slot. At least that's the impression he gave on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mykola

Red Fred wrote: »
    Had forgotten about Liam Nolan and Mark Costigan. I seem to remember John Creedon not being too happy when he was moved to that slot. At least that's the impression he gave on air.

Yep he was pissed off about losing his afternoon show as well as being back to where he started 20 years earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Did Flo McSweeney do a stint on the show at one stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

So sorry to hear Lillian is no longer , she was a lovely antidote to my daily stresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

It was nice to hear Derek Davis's stint being remembered on the show last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fred Ruane

Does anyone know the opening music that was used on Late Date back in the day? It was a trombone feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Fred Ruane wrote: »
    Does anyone know the opening music that was used on Late Date back in the day? It was a trombone feature

So the story goes, it's supposed to have been a track which somebody in Montrose selected from a vinyl LP and carted up donkey years ago solely to use as a theme for the show. However, nobody took note of the particulars so it's title remains unknown, as does the performers name and, crucially, the record details and where it even came from. If it ever came to pass that they finally identify the track then it's performer and author will bw in for a mini windfall as there must be 3 decades of royalties owed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Answer here - is it not still used? I recall for a time in the mid-90s on her nights Maxi used to have a completely different, more modern, tune. When Lilian started, she didn't have any but then began to use the Husby's Rag one, though beginning slightly after the start of the tune

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Brother camping

Did Val Joyce always have trouble using the Equipment or did it only happen in later years ? Do you think Ana leddy did him a favour by axing him ? I thought at the time he should have been given a once a week pre recorded show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Veeerryy interesting response from Cathal just now when he was asked wether he preferred the mornings or the nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭School Socks

Karen Shields, whatever happened to her ? https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2212/054.html

Advertisement