Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JNLR 01/15

• 27-04-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,565 ✭✭✭✭

Its that time again - JNLR is out on Thursday.

This book gives 12 month figures on all the new 2FM schedule as far as I can remember - could see this being curtains for either Healy, some of the presenters, or both. Its also 11.5 months of 98's current daytime lineup which will be interesting to see as they fell back to 4th in Dublin last time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Also a full 12 months for niel prenderville at red fm. Hes just took hes first long break since joining red. Seems like he dedicated a full year to the new gig to boost figures. Fair play to him I only recall him being off air for a few days every few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

12 months for Adrian and Jeremy on 98fm, last book showed a decent improvement in that slot, on that the 104 phoneshow will be 16 months or so on air with Chris Barry so the figures should have leveled out by now so they will be looking for growth. 98FM will be looking for some growth here after throwing money at outdoor advertising for 2 years now without anything to show for it yet. The rest of Dublin has been fairly similar for a while now, Dara Quilty is still early into his spell with 98fm. How old is TXFM now, must be a year at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Bump. Results released later on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anything leaked on Twitter?

I understand the stations get the numbers in advance of the general public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,565 ✭✭✭✭L1011

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Anything leaked on Twitter?

I understand the stations get the numbers in advance of the general public.

They do, but if they're found to be the source of a leak they likely won't get them early again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

L1011 wrote: »
    They do, but if they're found to be the source of a leak they likely won't get them early again.

They're out - let the spin begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newstalk will be :)

RTE Radio 1 will be :( (but they won't let on)

Hooky looks like he'll be going out on a high (I'll be amazed if DOB Towers lets him go without a fight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

Newstalk will be :)

RTE Radio 1 will be :( (but they won't let on)

Radio 1 crowing about 11k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paula mcsweeney went up 6000 listeners on her Saturday show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

No 'spin' honest - just my own take:

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio

N/T did well. Today put on some listeners in Dublin - which they badly needed. Ups and downs for everyone else. 104 still facing south.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if i am reading it right, Red fm in Cork could overtake 96fm if they continue like this,

96fm down 2% red fm up 3% and now they are only 2% behind 96fm (not including c103 in these)

Yes looking good for red fm. No 96fm facebook page fanfare this time. Also see 4fm is bigger than 2fm in cork and close to newstalk.

In cork the 9 to 12 slot falls from 113000 on 96fm to 72000 and on red fm they jump from circa 25000 to 56000 in the full year of new redfm. Gotta say red is sounding top class these days and 96 fm sounding dated as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm pleased for Ryan Tubridy.

His show is very much on an upward curve and 2fm as a whole can feel happy enough with their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

3 months gone already. Definitely less hype around the results this time around and the fading of interest from Joe Public in all but the absolute headline data is no bad thing. Still loads of hype within stations though and the promos and emails were flying out by Thursday night.

So what of the book? I'm in London during the week these days so it's the weekend when I get a chance to pore over this quarters statistical delights. As always ilevel.ie has all of the figures and analysis in great detail and in a clear form. Some interesting trends to watch in there.

My post is as always in good book/bad book and is focused on the Dublin market. Here's the summary:

Good book for: 98FM! That's the first time that has been written in quite some time. Having fallen rapidly and dramatically into 5% territory, they have now at least established an upward trend again which they will be very happy with. They are still only on 6.7% but this book at least brings them close to parity with their stablemates at Spin who have continued their own steady performance and are up .5% year on year which is impressive given that their target audience are not exactly radio's biggest fans at the moment.

Good book to for Today FM. This time last year they were only .1% ahead of 2FM in Dublin and in danger of being overtaken which would have been a commercial disaster for them as well as a major dent to Marconi house egos. They have pulled it around though and their lead is now well over 1%. While 2FM's performance in terms of share looks a bit ropey this time around it is important to keep an eye on their reach figures which have started to climb again. Reach eventually delivers share so expect a ratcheting up of the pressure from the IBI on the minister to try to get them to change format. Nobody is afraid of a failure.

Good again for Newstalk who have shown really impressive increases in the last year in particular. They have got good reach from Pat Kenny although they would prefer that to be closer to 180k but what is impressive is that they are keeping the listeners through the day. The imminent departure of George Hook is an obvious concern there, given that there doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement in the ranks at present. A cheque from Valetta may well be required for that one. Not such a good book for eternal whipping boys TXFM who have somehow managed to lose market share this time around, dropping back to 1.2% and continuing their dismal weekend performance. Any decent relaunch should get you a good bounce for a year at least but TXFM continue to suffer and the reason is simple: Listening to it as I type, I have no idea who it's audience is supposed to be.

Trends haven't been so good in Macken House for the last few books with both FM104 and Q102 having a bad run at the moment. FM104 were up over 12% this time last year which was phonomenal and their audience now is still very impressive but they will want to arrest that decline. There is an argument that this is just part of a cycle and it depends on how close 98 and Newstalk get before the cycle takes FM104 back up again. Q102's audience is notoriously soft and will probably bounce around like it is doing forever.

Good book for Castleforbes House too with Nova's share back to close to where it was last year but again impressive increases in reach over the last 12 months. The changes there have paid off and it's up to them now to convert those samplers to listeners. Looking at the trends, they seem to be grabbing quite a few listeners from FM104 which will be encouraging for them. Good news too for Sunshine who have continued to build audience with their easy-listening format. A shame for country music fans but Sunshine will feel vindicated. Decent performance for 4FM outside of Dublin and even in Dublin they are gaining a small amount of traction with a decent enough reach although their share is still poor and I'm not sure where its potential share lies.

Some drops for RTE Radio 1 too and they are showing a bit of a trend although ironically the one place where they thought they would lose listeners (Sean O'Rourke) is the one place where they have done very well. 303k nationally v 142k for Pat Kenny is good work. They will be confident enough that with the election and 1916 programming to come they will gain some bodies back.

Happy to answer any questions as always.

RadioAnalyst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Not sure who would be best to answer, but feel free to chip in. Any reason 98's figures go up at 9.30am, obviously Dublin Talks is holding the listeners for the first hour, is Ray Foley doing something at that time to peak interests or is is people waiting for Dublin Talks. Also why does Pat Kenny spike several times during his show? is there really a fluctuation of listeners like that during the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

soc160 wrote: »
    Not sure who would be best to answer, but feel free to chip in. Any reason 98's figures go up at 9.30am, obviously Dublin Talks is holding the listeners for the first hour, is Ray Foley doing something at that time to peak interests or is is people waiting for Dublin Talks. Also why does Pat Kenny spike several times during his show? is there really a fluctuation of listeners like that during the show?

Probably the Paddy O'Gorman and Mary Louise O'Donnell effect - when either appear on Sean O'Rourke I switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Probably the Paddy O'Gorman and Mary Louise O'Donnell effect - when either appear on Sean O'Rourke I switch over.

And with all due respects to Kenny, most of his show is bland rehashed lifestyle filler. The only time he gets energised is the occasional time he manages to get SF or AAA on, and he starts scrapping for the retention of the, for him, delicious 41% top rate of income tax, etc...

Establishment shill and all that O'Rourke is, his show has way more life about it.

Advertisement