Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin's Q102

• 20-04-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Am receiving Q102 on 101.5 in parts of South West Dublin, have they a new frequency to cover a different area of Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Rock Solid wrote: »
    Am receiving Q102 on 101.5 in parts of South West Dublin, have they a new frequency to cover a different area of Dublin?

Balbriggan? Probably same site as 98s/FM104 & Nova new TXs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Infoanon wrote: »
    Balbriggan? Probably same site as 98s/FM104 & Nova new TXs

what is the reason for these txs? have parts of dublin reception issues with certain stations? why weren't these issues sorted years ago?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

what is the reason for these txs? have parts of dublin reception issues with certain stations? why weren't these issues sorted years ago?

Well apparently after 25 years it was decided that booster stations were required in the North East for FM104 and 98FM, now the cynical might note that a) this will reduce the possibility of new services commencing as there shall be a lack of available frequencies and b) that the frequencies chosen obliterate overspill from stations north of the border(same goes for the frequencies allocated to Spirit recently ).

Of course this opens the floodgates and now Q102 and Nova have fill ins - obviously 10kw from the top of 3 Rock just doesn't muster it these days ! Afaik Sunshine shall also be popping up shortly.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Well apparently after 25 years it was decided that booster stations were required in the North East for FM104 and 98FM, now the cynical might note that a) this will reduce the possibility of new services commencing as there shall be a lack of available frequencies and b) that the frequencies chosen obliterate overspill from stations north of the border(same goes for the frequencies allocated to Spirit recently ).

Of course this opens the floodgates and now Q102 and Nova have fill ins - obviously 10kw from the top of 3 Rock just doesn't muster it these days ! Afaik Sunshine shall also be popping up shortly.
    ah shur god love them with their tiny 10 kw . its pittence i tell you. i'd bet some of the community stations around dublin would jump at the chance of 10 kw not that they would need it but how and ever. i'd say these relays are to remove frequencies for cynical reasons indeed but god only knows. absolute joke either way

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rock Solid

Not good news for pirates or low power operators same for the future of Community radio or future services, a simple re adjustment of the Fm band is required as some stations are 0.2 or 0.1 from others, Spirit on AM is wiped out at night by a foreign station while 567 and 1278 remain clear, as for 252 is being murdered by a powerful station in Algeria, and plenty of clear frequencys available on the band. Surely somebody is in charge of frequently allocations?

• Advertisement

Not good news for pirates or low power operators same for the future of Community radio or future services, a simple re adjustment of the Fm band is required as some stations are 0.2 or 0.1 from others, Spirit on AM is wiped out at night by a foreign station while 567 and 1278 remain clear, as for 252 is being murdered by a powerful station in Algeria, and plenty of clear frequencys available on the band. Surely somebody is in charge of frequently allocations?

AM frequencies are a different ball game - both 252 and 549 are being operated below their allocated power - there are international agreements in place for AM,FM only needs local agreement - how else do you think RnaG ended up on 102.7 !.

Not good news for pirates or low power operators same for the future of Community radio or future services, a simple re adjustment of the Fm band is required as some stations are 0.2 or 0.1 from others

there are a good few frequencies still left for pirates though. agree about future licenced services though. i don't see how these relays are suddenly needed, surely upping the power of the main transmitters might be a better option? or, just leave things as they were. after all, people seemed to survive without these relays since the stations came on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Indoor (as opposed to in-car) reception was not the best in Skerries/Lusk/Rush.

L1011 wrote: »
    i see. why didn't they realize it and deal with it years ago though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

i see. why didn't they realize it and deal with it years ago though?

Doubt any station cared enough, but as competition increases any method to get more listeners will be taken.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

It was never a problem in the past ðŸ˜

Advertisement