Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm moving to Carrigaline.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Somehow I'm sure I'll see you and half of Carrigaline there. :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm commuting to the airport which is the job, I wont be moving to the new job in Mahon for 3 weeks, cant wait for all the traffic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

i don't think people care where you are moving too!!
    You misunderstand. The OP asked for info, people gave it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

To the airport is much better, the back road out by ballae would save a lot of traffic heartbreak. No carrs hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

mawk wrote: »
    To the airport is much better, the back road out by ballae would save a lot of traffic heartbreak. No carrs hill.

Once you manage to get past the mayhem created by all the mummys and daddys dropping their kids to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Not too bad from fernhill, go to shannon park, turn towards carrigaline there is a right hand turn off that brings you out past the waterworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bassmaster

Just been to the Abbey and really enjoyed it. Friendly staff and good food. They are starting an early bird menu and Sunday Lunch menu too so looking forward to trying that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Once you manage to get past the mayhem created by all the mummys and daddys dropping their kids to school.

do you have kids?
    While I sort of agree with you there are still plenty of areas around that are not served by a reliable school bus service so the parents have to drop off.

But yes, I see your point, I see it every morning when I do the drop off, sometimes it seems as if the mummys yearn for the drop offs, it seems to be the highlight of their otherwise idle day at home before they crack open the Chardonnay just after Ireland AM concludes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

MD takeaway is class

dont go near the takeaway in the the mini car park across from super valy food is not great and always scumbags hanging around it

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    MD takeaway is class

dont go near the takeaway in the the mini car park across from super valy food is not great and always scumbags hanging around it

Saw the 'locals' alright hanging around, one asked me to buy some 'gat' for him...ah bless, it kinda reminded me of home, up outside da farranree chipper. :)

They didn't seem too dangerous, considering I was on my own - they buggered off after I said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

Recently moved to the rock. Does anyone know if there are any shops in that part of town or do I have to walk all the way into town. I thought there were some in Waterpark but can't find any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

Recently moved to the rock. Does anyone know if there are any shops in that part of town or do I have to walk all the way into town. I thought there were some in Waterpark but can't find any.

There is a small Mace convenience store in Waterpark...enter waterpark from the rock / fern hill road side and drive straight on, it'll be on your right hand side...big green area / field next to it...built onto the side of a big red house.

There is a small Mace convenience store in Waterpark...enter waterpark from the rock / fern hill road side and drive straight on, it'll be on your right hand side...big green area / field next to it...built onto the side of a big red house.

Thanks. Will check it out tomorrow. Do they do alcohol as well? If not owenabue cabs deliver but it is handier if they do sell it.

Is that up Laurelmount drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Thanks. Will check it out tomorrow. Do they do alcohol as well? If not owenabue cabs deliver but it is handier if they do sell it.

He sells wine anyway. I'm not too sure about beer/spirits..

charlemont wrote: »
    He sells wine anyway. I'm not too sure about beer/spirits..

That's good enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

Is that up Laurelmount drive?

Just down from that....Only sells wines....no beer/spirits

Thanks lads

Found it. Nice friendly people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

Moving on a few years from when this thread started....I may be moving to Carrigaline in the next few months, if we decide to buy.
    ....whats happening with the place these days?
    Traffic even worse getting to the south link (I'd be leaving at Carrig at 7am)? When is work due to start on that new road?
    Whats the school situation like out there?
    Pro's and Con's of the place?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

I work in Carrigaline and travel here from Douglas so going against the traffic. Wouldn't fancy coming FROM here in the morning - traffic frequently backed up on Carrs hill. There are plans to build 2 new secondary schools also.
    From speaking to other people that live here i know there doesn't appear to be much of a pub/restaurant scene - with most centering around the hotel.
    The N28 upgrade from the new Cork Port at Ringaskiddy is still a few years off.
    Pro's - good selection of food shops (Super Value, Dunnes, Lidl etc). Schools
    Con's - Traffic in/out at peak times. options for eating out, pubs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

I work in Carrigaline and travel here from Douglas so going against the traffic. Wouldn't fancy coming FROM here in the morning - traffic frequently backed up on Carrs hill. There are plans to build 2 new secondary schools also.
    From speaking to other people that live here i know there doesn't appear to be much of a pub/restaurant scene - with most centering around the hotel.
    The N28 upgrade from the new Cork Port at Ringaskiddy is still a few years off.
    Pro's - good selection of food shops (Super Value, Dunnes, Lidl etc). Schools
    Con's - Traffic in/out at peak times. options for eating out, pubs etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Whats the culture/arts scene like in Carragaline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Hahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Well........

I may be biased, but look, the thread is here for opinions-Carrigaline is boring as hell. It's a commuter town. I never feel any community there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

The traffic is absolutely horrendous. Any bit of ice and the entire road comes to a standstill and the secondary routes are too dangerous. In the summers and school holidays it's a quick 15 minute journey to the SRR but on any other day it is crazy. Even at 7:30 and earlier it can be busy. OH and I are renting here but are in the process of buying closer to town. We had initially planned on buying here but have decided against it for a few reasons, the traffic being a major sticking point for both of us.

It really is a nice town but there is very little going on here. I imagine for people with children though it must be a pretty ideal location though. Nice, quiet, safe area with a nice selection of supermarkets and schools etc but little by way of things to do unless you're involved in a sports club or what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

The traffic is absolutely horrendous. Any bit of ice and the entire road comes to a standstill and the secondary routes are too dangerous. In the summers and school holidays it's a quick 15 minute journey to the SRR but on any other day it is crazy. Even at 7:30 and earlier it can be busy. OH and I are renting here but are in the process of buying closer to town. We had initially planned on buying here but have decided against it for a few reasons, the traffic being a major sticking point for both of us.

It really is a nice town but there is very little going on here. I imagine for people with children though it must be a pretty ideal location though. Nice, quiet, safe area with a nice selection of supermarkets and schools etc but little by way of things to do unless you're involved in a sports club or what have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Its great. There is an outdoor amphitheatre where performances are given during the weekend. Last week there was a Marcel Marceau lookalike in a leotard. It was great so it was.

There's also a ten screen cinema with all the latest films. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭goochy

You've just cheered me up ! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

Traffic at peak times is brutal,other than that it's a typical commuter town,plenty of sports clubs,good super markets,pubs are very mediocre though .There is some very good restaurants,Royal pacific is a great Chinese, and Spice is a really good Indian,the Abbey restaurant is a great spot too.

There's a few new schools being built also,there's an educate together school,a gaelscoil, and a few others.

If your leaving for work at 7am you will have no problem with traffic.

Advertisement