Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with overcharging, bills and leaving Eircom

Options
  • 08-01-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

hi, sorry for the long story but this issue seems to be complicated from Eir's point of view. I have been an Eircom customer at my current address for appox ten years as far I remember. I upgraded my account from the 7 mb unlimited to the Fibre unlimited when that service reached our area. However around 12/14 months later I discovered that I was being charged €16 per month for going over my internet usage cap. 

I contacted customer support and upon investigation the lady on the phone agreed that it was an obvious error on their part as I was moved from unlimited broadband to limited fibre, but was being charged for the unlimited fibre and also being charged for the extra usage.

she assured me she would be able to sort it out and my refund would be applied on the next bill or possibly the bill after that.

both of these bills, while not charging for excess usage, did not contain a credit or refund. I contacted phone support again but without the name of the original support person, no reference number etc I was unable to make any head way.

frustrated with this lack of customer care I opted to leave Eircom and therefore checked with phone support if my account was in contract or not. By this time the contract period had expired so I requested termination of my account and a final bill.

I then contacted a rival company and arranged broadband with them, they took over my line and sent me a new modem and I awaited a final bill from Eircom. I checked with phone support and asked if I needed to return the modem but was told no.

that was Aug 15. In oct I received my bill for €187. This included broadband for Aug,Sept and Oct plus line rental etc. Shortly after my wife received a call from a rep,advising that the bill needed to be paid or my service would be cut off. While I discuss everything with my wife I am sure that the rep discussing my account with anyone other than me is a serious breach of data protection. The rep informed her that we would need to pay the outstanding bill and he would then organise a refund for us.

I emailed support as I had no wish to be fobbed off with verbal promises which never come true...again.   "Jason" responded to inform me that my acc was cancelled on 30/10/15 and that all cancellations must be done in writing, again this is not what I had been informed of in Aug when I was told on the phone that I could cancel with immediate effect.

I then received another email with my final bill of €21.72. Relived to be free of this company I elected to not dispute the refund and merely pay the bill, however my Eircom account is now closed and I cannot pay it online, I have no faith in the phone(y) customer support so I have no intention of giving them my card details to make the payment.

Meanwhile I have received a further 2 bills,both in the amount of €81.71 which I have no means of checking or paying as the account is closed.

I would like to request a review of my account going back to before the upgrade in order to verify that I was indeed overcharged for more than a year, I would then like that amount refunded to me, I would also like a proper,itemised final bill, one which I can pay either online or at a post office. 

I would also like certain unspeakable things done to that cheeky rep who breached data protection but I am confident someone of his calibre has long since been fired.   

one final point, it is a source of great irony and frustration that a COMMUNICATIONS company has such poor communications and that your online chat facility has been offline since at least last Aug.  

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I dont wish to clog up the forum but a small bump to get it back on the 1st page so it can be seen is,i think,understandable. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

soups05 wrote: »
    hi, sorry for the long story but this issue seems to be complicated from Eir's point of view. I have been an Eircom customer at my current address for appox ten years as far I remember. I upgraded my account from the 7 mb unlimited to the Fibre unlimited when that service reached our area. However around 12/14 months later I discovered that I was being charged €16 per month for going over my internet usage cap. 

I contacted customer support and upon investigation the lady on the phone agreed that it was an obvious error on their part as I was moved from unlimited broadband to limited fibre, but was being charged for the unlimited fibre and also being charged for the extra usage.

she assured me she would be able to sort it out and my refund would be applied on the next bill or possibly the bill after that.

both of these bills, while not charging for excess usage, did not contain a credit or refund. I contacted phone support again but without the name of the original support person, no reference number etc I was unable to make any head way.

frustrated with this lack of customer care I opted to leave Eircom and therefore checked with phone support if my account was in contract or not. By this time the contract period had expired so I requested termination of my account and a final bill.

I then contacted a rival company and arranged broadband with them, they took over my line and sent me a new modem and I awaited a final bill from Eircom. I checked with phone support and asked if I needed to return the modem but was told no.

that was Aug 15. In oct I received my bill for €187. This included broadband for Aug,Sept and Oct plus line rental etc. Shortly after my wife received a call from a rep,advising that the bill needed to be paid or my service would be cut off. While I discuss everything with my wife I am sure that the rep discussing my account with anyone other than me is a serious breach of data protection. The rep informed her that we would need to pay the outstanding bill and he would then organise a refund for us.

I emailed support as I had no wish to be fobbed off with verbal promises which never come true...again.   "Jason" responded to inform me that my acc was cancelled on 30/10/15 and that all cancellations must be done in writing, again this is not what I had been informed of in Aug when I was told on the phone that I could cancel with immediate effect.

I then received another email with my final bill of €21.72. Relived to be free of this company I elected to not dispute the refund and merely pay the bill, however my Eircom account is now closed and I cannot pay it online, I have no faith in the phone(y) customer support so I have no intention of giving them my card details to make the payment.

Meanwhile I have received a further 2 bills,both in the amount of €81.71 which I have no means of checking or paying as the account is closed.

I would like to request a review of my account going back to before the upgrade in order to verify that I was indeed overcharged for more than a year, I would then like that amount refunded to me, I would also like a proper,itemised final bill, one which I can pay either online or at a post office. 

I would also like certain unspeakable things done to that cheeky rep who breached data protection but I am confident someone of his calibre has long since been fired.   

one final point, it is a source of great irony and frustration that a COMMUNICATIONS company has such poor communications and that your online chat facility has been offline since at least last Aug.  
    Hi soups05

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of this negative experience with eir. Please PM me the eir account number and I will get back to you within 24 hours.

Many thanks
    AL

Thank you Alan, PM sent

Thank you Alan, PM sent
    Thanks soups05

I'll look in to to this in details and I should be able to get back to you by tomorrow afternoon

Cheers
    Al

Hi Alan, its been appox 3 weeks and I am still awaiting a reply on this issue, have you had any luck?

• Advertisement

Alan, i am still hoping for a response when you have time

sigh, this is becoming irritating. a box in the corner show a response time of 19 hrs, am not sure the people listed in that box can see it. I'm aware that boards had issues and that's fair enough, but this has dragged on with no response for the last month.

can alan or anyone else on the team get back to me on this please? 

this section is called talk to, its implied that when we talk...you listen and respond. other wise why bother talking?    

and the wait goes on,and on,and on...........

and the wait goes on,and on,and on...........
    I'm genuinely sorry for the delays soups05

I will review this case again and ensure I get back to you within 24hrs

Thanks
    Al

still waiting for your  response Alan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Does anyone get a response? I am beginning to think threads are closed without solutions here.

by the way you sound like a similar case to me, every month a larger and larger bill but no way to read what I am actually being charged,

eventually BCW debt collectors will get involved at which stage Eir will again **** it up and even if you pay the outstanding charges, will send new bills!

still waiting for your  response Alan
    Hi soups05

My investigations in to this are complete, are you free to take a call to discus?

Cheers

Al

sorry i missed your post alan, i will be free from 11 till 1 tomorrow, or 11 till 5 on friday if you want to ring me, thank you.

sorry i missed your post alan, i will be free from 11 till 1 tomorrow, or 11 till 5 on friday if you want to ring me, thank you.
    No problem soups05

I will call at 12 today :)

Al

Hi Alan, sorry to bother you again but I'm afraid this issue is still outstanding.

When we spoke in feb you had arranged the refund and all I needed to do was ring and request it personally. I did this during the 1st week of march. The lady on the phone was reluctant to issue a refund because " I can see the money in your account,I can see its closed,but I can't see where the money came from" It was only after I said I would return to boards to speak to you that she agreed to talk to her supervisor. A 20 min wait was followed by an agreement to issue the refund. 30 days to process etc etc.
    On the 1st of april I received a text informing me that the cheque had been issued and would arrive in 10 working days. At this point while I was fairly annoyed at the long wait I was happy that an end was in sight...oh foolish me.
    When the cheque failed to arrive I contacted eir again around the start of may. During that conversation it transpired that my address had been changed on the system. I have no idea who changed it or why, I do know that bills never fail to arrive in the past so am confused about that. 
    The gentleman assured me that the address was corrected and the cheque would be re issued.
    by the end of may I contacted eir again and the person who took the details promised to call back that day with an answer. No call received. 
    On Wednesday of last week,  8th june, I contacted eir again, this time I was informed that there was a refund due but there was "an issue in the back office" which the person on the phone would sort out and contact me to confirm the refund.

Despite your hard work in feb this issue has dragged on for another 4 months, with different excuses and different personnel involved each time.

I have returned here as you seem to be the only one working for eir who will attempt to resolve this.

Can you please look into this again and find out why my address was changed,why the cheque was delayed and when will I finally get my refund.

Thank you 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

astonishing behaviour from eir/con

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi Alan, sorry to bother you again but I'm afraid this issue is still outstanding.

When we spoke in feb you had arranged the refund and all I needed to do was ring and request it personally. I did this during the 1st week of march. The lady on the phone was reluctant to issue a refund because " I can see the money in your account,I can see its closed,but I can't see where the money came from" It was only after I said I would return to boards to speak to you that she agreed to talk to her supervisor. A 20 min wait was followed by an agreement to issue the refund. 30 days to process etc etc.
    On the 1st of april I received a text informing me that the cheque had been issued and would arrive in 10 working days. At this point while I was fairly annoyed at the long wait I was happy that an end was in sight...oh foolish me.
    When the cheque failed to arrive I contacted eir again around the start of may. During that conversation it transpired that my address had been changed on the system. I have no idea who changed it or why, I do know that bills never fail to arrive in the past so am confused about that. 
    The gentleman assured me that the address was corrected and the cheque would be re issued.
    by the end of may I contacted eir again and the person who took the details promised to call back that day with an answer. No call received. 
    On Wednesday of last week,  8th june, I contacted eir again, this time I was informed that there was a refund due but there was "an issue in the back office" which the person on the phone would sort out and contact me to confirm the refund.

Despite your hard work in feb this issue has dragged on for another 4 months, with different excuses and different personnel involved each time.

I have returned here as you seem to be the only one working for eir who will attempt to resolve this.

Can you please look into this again and find out why my address was changed,why the cheque was delayed and when will I finally get my refund.

Thank you 
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]soups05,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm so sorry to hear you have experienced these delays and have not received your cheque yet.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm afraid Alan is no longer with us :(, can you PM me your account details and I will follow this up for you.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

Hi Pamela
    PM sent, thank you.

Hi Pamela
    PM sent, thank you.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]soups05,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm just going through my PM's now and will be back to you shortly.[/font]

Shortly appears to mean something different when you work for Eir. Its been two days  :(

• Advertisement

Shortly appears to mean something different when you work for Eir. Its been two days  :(
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have checked my PM's [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]soups05 [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]and I'm afraid I did not receive a PM from you, if you can send this to me i'll take a look into this today.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela[/font]

Not sure why you did not receive my pm, have resent. My apologies Pamela

Not sure why you did not receive my pm, have resent. My apologies Pamela

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]soups05,[/font]

Hi Pamela, 
    Has there been any progress on this, sorry to seem impatient but it has dragged on for a long time at this stage.  

Hi Pamela, 
    Has there been any progress on this, sorry to seem impatient but it has dragged on for a long time at this stage.  
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]soups05,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I responded to your PM but I never got a reply I'm afraid. I have requested the previous cheque to be cancelled and reissued.[/font]

I checked my pm and you had stated you would update me, hence no need for a reply. I am still awaiting clarification on some issues as follows:

1 Why was my address changed when the 1st cheque was sent out in May? This is going by the information provided by customer service rep.

2 Why has it taken three and a half months for a refund to date? this does not include the time it will take for the new cheque to arrive of course.

3 Why was I repeatedly told I would be contacted with an update only to be left to do the chasing myself?

4 Why was I told there was a back office issue regarding the refund?

5 What was the back office issue? 

6 Will there be any action taken regarding this section of my op:

Shortly after my wife received a call from a rep,advising that the bill needed to be paid or my service would be cut off. While I discuss everything with my wife I am sure that the rep discussing my account with anyone other than me is a serious breach of data protection. The rep informed her that we would need to pay the outstanding bill and he would then organise a refund for us.

I look forward to your reply. Also an update on when I can expect the cheque would be great

thank you

I checked my pm and you had stated you would update me, hence no need for a reply. I am still awaiting clarification on some issues as follows:

1 Why was my address changed when the 1st cheque was sent out in May? This is going by the information provided by customer service rep.

2 Why has it taken three and a half months for a refund to date? this does not include the time it will take for the new cheque to arrive of course.

3 Why was I repeatedly told I would be contacted with an update only to be left to do the chasing myself?

Shortly after my wife received a call from a rep,advising that the bill needed to be paid or my service would be cut off. While I discuss everything with my wife I am sure that the rep discussing my account with anyone other than me is a serious breach of data protection. The rep informed her that we would need to pay the outstanding bill and he would then organise a refund for us.

I look forward to your reply. Also an update on when I can expect the cheque would be great

thank you
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Apologies [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]soups05,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]When I checked the address the cheque was to be sent to it was the correct address. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As the cheque has to be reissued this will lead to delays I’m afraid as our cheque refund team will need to contact the bank and have the previous cheque tracked and cancelled. Once the cheque has been cancelled it will then need to be reissued.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have checked this and there are no back office issues affecting your cheque refund.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]This team will call the contact number listed on the account and prior to discussing any information the agent will ask for the account holder and then ask for confirmation to discuss the details of the account. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm afraid I do not have an update on when the cheque will be issued as the cheque refund team are still awaiting information in relation to this from the bank.[/font]

thank you
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Apologies [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]soups05,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]When I checked the address the cheque was to be sent to it was the correct address. 

so why did the agent read out the incorrect address?
    what happened to that cheque as i never received it?

[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As the cheque has to be reissued this will lead to delays I’m afraid as our cheque refund team will need to contact the bank and have the previous cheque tracked and cancelled. Once the cheque has been cancelled it will then need to be reissued.

[/font]so even more delays then.

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have checked this and there are no back office issues affecting your cheque refund.

[/font]so yet again another rep has lied to me is what your saying?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]This team will call the contact number listed on the account and prior to discussing any information the agent will ask for the account holder and then ask for confirmation to discuss the details of the account. 

[/font]this seems like an attempt to mollify me and pander to me, when it is actually what is REQUIRED by law and should be STANDARD PRACTISE in all situations. any contact i make with eircom requires me to first prove my identity. 

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm afraid I do not have an update on when the cheque will be issued as the cheque refund team are still awaiting information in relation to this from the bank.[/font]

At this point am afraid I have given up hope of ever resolving this matter, constant and repeated lies, excuses and blame shifting. I believe I will need to go to comreg to sort this out in a timely manner. This began 2 years agos, lead to me leaving eircom last august, coming on boards in jan and now its the end of june and no refund.

this company is a joke 

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]...our cheque refund team ...[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

Eir have a cheque refund team? :eek:
    Does that not tell you a few things?
    • Is there really that many overpayments being made to Eir that a team required to issue refunds?
    • Given that soups05 has been waiting on a refund since January (actually longer), what exactly do the cheque refund team do when they arrive into work? 

• Advertisement

ok, a quick update on this, i received a text on July 1st to confirm my refund would be with me in 10 days, actually i received 6 of them in 3 mins but aside from that, this is the same text i received on the 1st april so am not gonna hold me breath.

then on july 4th i received 2 texts saying my usage on the account was too high and another demanding payment of €124 to avoid disconnection. As far as I am aware eir cannot now disconnect me as i am with sky, of course i may be wrong.

and the final insult?

i received an email bill from eir for €201 today 

Advertisement