Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm moving to Carrigaline.....

Options
  • 09-03-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

.....and I'm looking for some info as to what it's like.

What are the local pubs like?
    Best places to shop?
    Take aways? (For himself :D)
    Whats the place like in general - pros and cons.
    Oh and any feedback on the gym in C. Court?

Keep it civil now folks! :) No 'hood bashing' please...lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

What are the local pubs like?
    Depends on you age, There are many pubs on the main street. Some, like the hotel are quite strict. The Corner House and Rosies are popular with the over 20's gang. Steer clear of Cogans on the weekend, tends to be very young as I believe it is the only pub that caters for under 21's. There is also The Stables, Gaelic, Soccer and GAA Clubs. No latebar (closest would be Douglas) and clubs are near in the city.

Best places to shop?
    3 Supermarkets. Few local shops around. Mahon and the City near for others.

Take aways?
    Seems like Carrig is full of foodjoints. Many opened over the last few years and have seemed to survive the recession.
    Royal Pacific is the nicest Chinese but pricey.
    Italian (Romanos) do takeaways
    Loads of chippers like MDs Lennoxs etc but Chish and Fips in Crosshaven and KCs in Douglas are better quality.
    Also Carrig has a nice Indian, and O'Crualaois (?) are great for preprepared meals to cook at home.

Carrig is a pretty badly planned town. Traffic is hell at times. Its a young town, and there is little for teens to do. The summer brings out the best here.
    The estuary is beautiful that time of year, Carrig is very green and the beach is only a short drive away.

The gym is good, full of the local GAA players and can be very busy. Pool is very nice, decent size. Nearest other gyms would be in Maryborough or Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Watch out for the Assassin. He's a local ruffian with no respect for the law who lives by the rules of the street. Look at him in the wrong way and he'll pop a cap in you.

Other than that you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Ok, so stay away from the local pool hall so as to avoid this guy and his Homies. Got it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

He's a lovely guy :confused: Lot more cause trouble around the place than him and we have no pool hall haha.

I've lived in Carrigaline all of my life so I know nothing else, it's really gotten built up over the years, when I was younger there was nothing here! There isn't really many facilities for teenagers but it has gotten better than it used to be.

The gym is good, I just joined myself and did my 1st day today and it seems good enough. I don't think it's that bad a place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Watch out for the Assassin. He's a local ruffian with no respect for the law who lives by the rules of the street. Look at him in the wrong way and he'll pop a cap in you.

Other than that you should be grand.

Also with the turf war between Dr Feekinstein & Grandmaster Cash, Carrigaline is scary. :eek::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

mudokon wrote: »

The mouth on him! :eek:

Feek is from the general Broadale area up Maryborough Hill.
    Closer to Rochestown if you ask me!:D

Ok kids, gang wars and drive bys dont phase me, I'm from the Northside
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

its a grand town, not very exciting but nowhere is really..

there are quite a few facilities contrary to local belief, youth club, public sports ground, childrens playground, tennis/badminton/rugby/gaa etc clubs.

there are also plenty of local groups and clubs for fishing, photography, walking sailing etc.

Traffic is a nightmare though. Terrible planning
    its also close to everything, shopping, city, beach, airport, etc which probably its main benifit

In terms of traffic I'll be ok - I'll be on Ferhill Road, so can skip the town when heading to work.
    I am looking forward to using the Carrig to Crosser walk for running etc.

Big move tomorrow, you may begin rolling out the red carpets, prepare the open top bus and painting your banners (which say ''norries out now!')

LOL:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

poconnor16 wrote: »
    In terms of traffic I'll be ok - I'll be on Ferhill Road, so can skip the town when heading to work.
    I am looking forward to using the Carrig to Crosser walk for running etc.

Big move tomorrow, you may begin rolling out the red carpets, prepare the open top bus and painting your banners (which say ''norries out now!')

LOL:D

Traffic will still be mental from Shannon Park roundabout through Carr's hill and then to the Bloomfield Interchange so just be aware of this! Otherwise happy moving day!!

ShamFeen wrote: »
    Traffic will still be mental from Shannon Park roundabout through Carr's hill and then to the Bloomfield Interchange so just be aware of this! Otherwise happy moving day!!

Oh really? Didn't realise this. I was planning on either leaving at 8am or 9.15am (have flexitime) so hopefully can avoid it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Oh really? Didn't realise this. I was planning on either leaving at 8am or 9.15am (have flexitime) so hopefully can avoid it that way.

If you leave at 8am you'll be caught in the height of it, Carr's hill is a nightmare at that hour. It clears up once you reach the Link but that can feel like an awfully long journey if you leave at the wrong time.

As mawk says above, Carrigaline has more facilities than it's given credit for, even if some of them aren't completely obvious.

The proximity to Crosshaven is one of the best things about the place, during the summer you're a 10 minute drive from the sea.

Good luck with the move.

Mother of jaysus.....some early starts ahead of me so.
    Can't wait to experience the ice skating rink that is Carr's Hill in the winter, I wonder is it too late to back out of a lease? :)

Thanks for all the posts lads, hopefully the traffic will be the only downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

in the middle of winter with the ice etc traffic was backed up from the Bloomfield Interchange to the roundabout at Carrigaline at 7:45am! It's definitely not as bad these days though but still very slow moving but manageable.

It's probably better for me to do the later shift so I'd say. And here was me being all smarty pants with my Fernhill Rd plan.

Boo. :rolleyes:

It's probably better for me to do the later shift so I'd say. And here was me being all smarty pants with my Fernhill Rd plan.

Boo. :rolleyes:

everyone has their little route but hundreds also have the same plan! Sure I come from Passage West via Monkstown just to avoid the other traffic nightmare that is the Rochestown Rd!

Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

yeah carrs hill... Ugh. I usually work nights which lets me avoid the traffic but i hate doing days and having to spend 40 minutes going about 2 miles.

For a while before christmas i was sent to little island and it was actually much faster to go to monkstown and get the ferry across to cobh than to drive up that damn hill

If you're living up by Fernhill, you can totally avoid Shannonpark/Carr's hill and take the back roads which bring you onto Maryborough Hill where you can join the Link via sliproad just before the Bloomfield interchange. Not the best route to take in Winter but works out most of the time. Used to take it every morning to get to school. Traffic has probably gotten worse since then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Cool_CM wrote: »
    If you're living up by Fernhill, you can totally avoid Shannonpark/Carr's hill and take the back roads which bring you onto Maryborough Hill where you can join the Link via sliproad just before the Bloomfield interchange. Not the best route to take in Winter but works out most of the time. Used to take it every morning to get to school. Traffic has probably gotten worse since then though.

Take this route to work everyday, just take the first right after the petrol station on Carr's hill. Then follow the route outlined above, you will save 15 to 20 minutes.

Anybody thing the traffic has been very light coming out of Carrigaline this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Of course OP depending on where you're working, there's the back road that goes to Ballygarvan, Ballinhassig, Airport, Ballincollig, West Cork etc etc. Might be handy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mudokon wrote: »
    Also with the turf war between Dr Feekinstein & Grandmaster Cash, Carrigaline is scary. :eek::p
    You've got it all wrong man! Cash is from the mean streets of Roco - his rhymes indicate same! :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 leightheone

i don't think people care where you are moving too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I care. And Carrigaline seems to be a fascinating place see: rappers

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Take this route to work everyday, just take the first right after the petrol station on Carr's hill. Then follow the route outlined above, you will save 15 to 20 minutes.

Anybody thing the traffic has been very light coming out of Carrigaline this week?

hmm I dunno, if it comes onto Maryborough Hill via Moneygourney traffic there can be woeful too.

Yes, traffic from Carrigaline has quietened down a lot lately but that's fitting in with the same traffic patterns last year, and pretty much every year around this time (how sad am I? :o). I think the combination of better weather and perhaps the school year well into it now so maybe parents are letting their little darlings actually take the bus!

Cheers lads, I might keep that back road in mind....I know the one. Or just get up early enough tp try and beat the traffic.
    Loving Carrigaline so far anyway, there's almost everything down there. Jade palace chinese aint bad either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

the abbey restaurant on the main st is worth a visit. Also bunnys in myrtleville if youre in form for a spin :D Dont forget the indian , spice ,also on the main st is A1 .

I was wondering about the Abbey actually, it looks really nice. And heard good things about Spice - but pricey though for a takeaway. Suppose you get what you pay for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I was wondering about the Abbey actually, it looks really nice. And heard good things about Spice - but pricey though for a takeaway. Suppose you get what you pay for

Haven't been to the Abbey yet but my friends weren't too impressed with it. Spice is yummy :) Been there a good few times, love the Italian too!

• Advertisement

hmm I dunno, if it comes onto Maryborough Hill via Moneygourney traffic there can be woeful too.

If you are coming from Fernhill direction, it is easier to go the backroads near Raffeen. You then join Maryborough Hill at the Hilltown cross.

Totally avoids Carr's hill/Shannonpark and saves a lot of time.

Shh! It's a seeekrit though:D

Advertisement