Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formal checked shirt?

• 12-04-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've a college ball coming up and I got a new dark grey fleck 3 piece suit. The only formal shirts I have are black or white so thinking of mixing it up with a checked one. Problem is I don't know what colour to go for? Would this even look okay or would it look just thrown together?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If it's a formal ball I'd stay away from checked shirts- they always look to me like office wear if under a suit.

I'd go with a white shirt under the 3 piece and you can afford to go a bit out there with your tie and pocket square if you want, but I'd recommend keeping it classic for formal occasions. Would you wear a bow-tie?

If it's black tie you really should wear a tux, although there are some decent alternatives if it's not your thing. Check out The Style Blogger's post on non rental options. I love the first option!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A pink shirt would look lovely under a grey three piece. Personally I would stay clear of a check shirt. Any check style non casual shirts I can think of would look very much like office wear.

Coloured shirt, bow tie, pocket square and some jazzy polka dot socks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Well this is a nice check: http://www.thomaspink.com/jermyn-street-shirts-the-beaufort/content/fcp-content

But good for wedding / office / stylish night out. Maybe not a ball. Depends what the dress code is though, if its "black tie" you have to wear a white shirt and a black tie or bow tie. You COULD get away with a pink shirt, depends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Well this is a nice check: http://www.thomaspink.com/jermyn-street-shirts-the-beaufort/content/fcp-content

But good for wedding / office / stylish night out. Maybe not a ball. Depends what the dress code is though, if its "black tie" you have to wear a white shirt and a black tie or bow tie. You COULD get away with a pink shirt, depends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

TBH I don't see how a pink or coloured shirt is any less 'office wear' than a non-casual check shirt.

While I agree solid shirts are more formal than patterned ones (in the same way a solid suit is more formal than a patterned one), you should really be going with a white shirt, even if the dress code isn't black tie.

It's more or less a blank canvas - particularly when paired with a medium to charcoal grey suit - and these are very unlikely to clash with your partners outfit either. You can brighten things up with a well textured tie and square combination.

Arguably, a pale blue shirt achieves all this too but blue for me really is the colour of business wear so would avoid that for a ball.

I think younger guys at times tend to focus on shiny suits, completely horrid tie colours and accessories like tie clips and pocket squares as a means to stand out. However, the wearing of these items (though I will always hate polyester, sheen-like suits) are usually poorly executed.

I would instead focus on getting your suit tailored to fit as well as possible. Learn to tie a proper tie knot (I recommend the half Windsor or Pratt knot) and choose a good quality tie and polish the best pair of black shoes you have.

A classic combination of colours and textures, together with clothes that actually fit you well and attention to detail will make you stand out far more, particularly when compared to the average male attendee at a college ball!

Bit of a tangent there OP but hopefully there's some useful information buried in there somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the replies and input guys. It's not black tie as such just formal wear. Think I'll stick with the white shirt and maybe try and jazz it up with a different colour bow tie or something.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Duff wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and input guys. It's not black tie as such just formal wear. Think I'll stick with the white shirt and maybe try and jazz it up with a different colour bow tie or something.

Thanks again.

If you're gonna go with a bow tie get a real one and learn how to tie it. When it comes to undoing it you'll feel and look so much better than the guys with their pre-tied ones! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

If you're gonna go with a bow tie get a real one and learn how to tie it. When it comes to undoing it you'll feel and look so much better than the guys with their pre-tied ones! :cool:

Ha, was thinking exactly that! Seen a nice tweed purple one I'm gonna get.

Advertisement