Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL 2010 Predictions?

Options
  • 11-06-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering what people think will be coming up on the Physics HL on Monday week?

I'm hoping to not have to answer the Electricity and did the Particle Physics Option?

Any idea's on the best experiments and topics to 'focus' on?

I'm hoping for the harmonic/'column of air' Experiment with the
    Lamda = 4(L + .3d) formula.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah thats nice a experiment. Feeling quite confident for physics :) Plan to avoid electricity like the plague though;)

I've heard Boyle's Law & Refractive Index

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Yeah, I heard these too.

Really have NO IDEA for the section 2 of the paper

Think Vectors and Scalars is kinda due up for Mechanics, but am so screwed for this exam its rediculous

:(

Well actually if electricity DEFINITIONS come up in q5 on section B, thats fine. But electricity questions no way can I do them

It's very difficult to predict Physics tbh. There are obviously some topics that come up often, like circular motion in Q6. Learn all the experiments though!

Yeah don't think they change the format of the paper to account for the fact we now have the tables until 2011 so we are seriously lucky this year:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Conor108 wrote: »
    Yeah don't think they change the format of the paper to account for the fact we now have the tables until 2011 so we are seriously lucky this year:)

You can say that again - Considering I was one of the people to do mine last year, it's a bit of a joke you're being handed everything on silver platter.

It may be difficult to predict, but you've about half the workload now as we did last year, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

heard Joules law is coming up aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Also the experiment on newtons second law is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Cipango wrote: »
    Also the experiment on newtons second law is due.

i'd put money on that not coming up. if it does i think it will be asked with another question, maybe with conservation of momentum or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

ok so for physics for the past 2 years i just sat there doodling on my page... now i am f*cked to say the least. I swear those new log tables are a blessing from jesus!! i have no idea what to do.. i have revised lenses and refraction etc but lord what do i do someone help :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Im either going to do very good or very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

This must be the hardest exam on the leaving cert after honours maths!...anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

This must be the hardest exam on the leaving cert after honours maths!...anyone agree?
    Try Applied Maths. Or History.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

We didnt even finish the course... Tried to learn the last 3 chapters myself but just cannot get my head around them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

I heard Boland might come up as question 4 as a last minute addition by the SEC after what happened on Thursday :D

PARARORY wrote: »
    I heard Boland might come up as question 4 as a last minute addition by the SEC after what happened on Thursday :D
    If only...:p

PARARORY wrote: »

I literally just LOL'd at this.. just as I nearly did when I opened the paper to see she stood half the country up on thursday, the SEC curveball was a totally beaut!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I hope the layout isn't changed due to the log tables. I noticed no difference in maths today, but that really isn't a guide. The only help that the new tables were in maths is the newton raphson method. The rest was all there previously.

I really can't see how we can be examined at the same standard as previous years as we have it so much easier. I hope it won't be marked harder.

I can really see a lot more derivations coming up due to the new tables.

I hope the layout isn't changed due to the log tables. I noticed no difference in maths today, but that really isn't a guide. The only help that the new tables were in maths is the newton raphson method. The rest was all there previously.

I really can't see how we can be examined at the same standard as previous years as we have it so much easier. I hope it won't be marked harder.

I can really see a lot more derivations coming up due to the new tables.
    derivations of what, like the Rt= R1 + R2... etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Hello again Timbuk2, on maths also the sequences and series formulas were needed, and they were never in the old tables, I can never remember them so they came in handy.

Also in reference to the sequences and series, today you needed to use the one (only one i think) formula that isn't in the new tables as well (Sn of a G-series where R>1). I think they might do this on the physics now, make use use the handful of formulas that aren't included in the tables to catch people out.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

I heard they're leaving out the honours option...?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsokay

ummtea wrote: »

where do people come up with this sh*te.........THE PAPER IS NOT CHANGED!!

ummtea wrote: »

Wouldn't that just defeat the point of this distinction between HL and OL.. Sounds like waffle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

itsokay wrote: »
    where do people come up with this sh*te.........THE PAPER IS NOT CHANGED!!

Relax, it's just what I heard here on Boards.

anyone know anything? im ****ed for this, but i have from noon thursday till monday to study... im learning definitions such as lenz' law and then relying HEAVILY on the log books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Loucol

Do you think the new log tables will affect our paper? I'm really nervous about it, or can they just change it like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

apparently my physics teacher told us the paper was set prior to the new log tables. he said they cant change the paper and it was one of the first to be set so the new log tables have not affected the paper. if they change the format they have to make sample papers available!
    i share everyones pain with electricity :( but the problem with physics is every part of the course is examined in someway or another so electricity can come into other questions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

Blerdiii wrote: »
    apparently my physics teacher told us the paper was set prior to the new log tables. he said they cant change the paper and it was one of the first to be set so the new log tables have not affected the paper. if they change the format they have to make sample papers available!
    i share everyones pain with electricity :( but the problem with physics is every part of the course is examined in someway or another so electricity can come into other questions :(

the tables came out last July so the exam was defo set after the tables had been out

dannye92 wrote: »
    the tables came out last July so the exam was defo set after the tables had been out

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_60_09_Information_re_Formulae_and_Booklet_Tables.pdf

Please read the bottom of page 5 (I think?)

This basically implies that they can't change the way the paper is asked as such, because technically when we started Physics in Sept 2008 we were told that we had to learn all those formulas and would be awarded marks for them?

So by not giving us these marks would be changing the paper, which they're apparently not allowed to do to us this year, so we get the best of both:
    1/ Handed the Formulas
    2/ Handed marks for knowing the Formulas

Hope this helps?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

i hope for a lot of electicity !:cool::cool:

:cool::cool::cool:

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

:pac:

...Because im going to repeat next year so it won't be there :D

Advertisement