Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial Stallion choice - Ireland

• 16-07-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have two mares still to be covered - late in the season I know but we have only just aquired them. They are nice halfbreds by Garrison Royale so have Cavalier and Clover Hill in the bloodlines. They come from a good damline that includes an Olympics eventer plus a number of other top level eventers. I don't have a fortune to spend on stallions and am wondering if people can recommend stallions whose offspring do well at the sales - I don't want to spend over 500 euros. It's very difficult to get hold of sales figures for the foal sales here so I would love to hear from people who have attended in the last few years. Also they need to be based in the Tipperary, Kilkenny, Limerick, Laois areas - best keep it local in case a few return visits are needed! All ideas welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

its not the breeding of the mare that denotes what stallion to use, except for preventing inbreeding of course, It is the stamp of the mare, what is her overall conformation like, how much bone has she and what is here temperment. You look at all these and then make a list of sires and see what ones will contribute most to your mare.

also what do you want to breed?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

What about 'Olympic Lux' - Paddy Quirke has him there near the Horse and Jockey - decent man - Olympic Lux is very good value at 500 and they are very useful jumpers and decent sellers. He will put 4 good legs under your foal. Only drawback is they tend not to be overbig so take this into consideration with your mares. Of course without seeing the mares its difficult. Had an O Lux foal 2 weeks ago and he is a very pretty little man

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Lucy Anne

Hey Budweiser that's quite a coincidence - Olympic Lux is the horse I had in mind for them and what you have to say just cements my decision. I was a bit concerned about the height thing, these mares are 16hh to 16.1hh more on the 16.1 side I hope. They're a little unhandled so haven't had a stick to them. What height is your mare? I actually have a TB mare scanned in foal to him....agree with you he is great value at 500. I was just wondering about other options as I thought maybe he might work best with a blood mare, of course I could be wrong - what do you think?

Mothoin, I suppose I'm looking to breed dual purpose horses with the potential to event or jump. The mares have a lot of eventers in the bloodlines so would be leaning that way. They are not too heavily built but have decent bone - as in lighweight hunter build. They are by Garrison Royal x Robertstown Boy x Regular Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Roxy19

Hi wondering if you could help me? I'm hoping to breed my thoroughbred mare and am looking for recommendation for stallions? I would like to produce a show jumper or eventer type! My mare is 16'1/16'2 but is petite! She is light of bone but has an excellent temperament, good conformation and is well able to jump. I have been told to use something to bring up the bone so I was hoping for an ish stallion but have been lookin at a lot of warm bloods! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Clover Flush??

• Advertisement

Thanks budweiser he's fab, just looked at him, never heard of him before!
    Have you ever used him or do you know anyone that has? This might sound stupid but what do you think he would add to a tb or would you be suggesting him for bone?
    I was looking at kingsmaster what do you think of him? I also looked at baboulet de route and gallant cavalier but perhaps I would end up with something very fine?
    Sorry for all the questions just new to breeding so I want To make a good decision!
    Thanks

Hey Roxy - I guess breeding is trial and error really. Clover Flush I think is very underestimated, he jumped to a very high level and I can't understand why I'm not seeing more of his stock - just saw pictures of a few. I suggested him because it seemed that you wanted to stay irish, love baloubet de rouet (his son is sligo candy boy) but he is coming in dear. Clover Flush is 450 I think and stands in waterford/wexford. He would bring some bone I'd imagine however I haven't seen him in the flesh. What is your mare by?

Hey Budweiser she's by Moscow society out of a good tyme mare!!
    Really starting to like clover flush but am open to other suggestions as at least I have a good few months to plan!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 harrybo90

Hi guys.
    My mare is foaled almost a week to Kannan. She has a nice colt foal but money isn't as easy come by this year. I would like to cover with a horse standing in Ireland. Max price would be 700-800 euro.
    I already have a smashing Sligo Candy Boy yearling and my other mare is due to him but I would't mind trying something else on this mare to mix it up.
    The mare is 16'3, half bred, very blood and can really jump. Very snappy with the front legs.
    I saw you mention Clover Flush but he is not for me.
    Any Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johnnybigfeed

harrybo90 wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    My mare is foaled almost a week to Kannan. She has a nice colt foal but money isn't as easy come by this year. I would like to cover with a horse standing in Ireland. Max price would be 700-800 euro.
    I already have a smashing Sligo Candy Boy yearling and my other mare is due to him but I would't mind trying something else on this mare to mix it up.
    The mare is 16'3, half bred, very blood and can really jump. Very snappy with the front legs.
    I saw you mention Clover Flush but he is not for me.
    Any Ideas?

Candy Boy is a beautiful horse and there seems to be some nice offspring coming even at his young age. I was there the day he was at the inspection in Cavan. There was one other really nice horse there that day. All I know is that the O'Briens in Galway had him. He had high points as well. A beautiful grey horse. Look into him. Think he is Dutch or Belgian bred. Has a very long akward name. I know someone who has a nice foal off him.

• Advertisement

Candy Boy is a beautiful horse and there seems to be some nice offspring coming even at his young age. I was there the day he was at the inspection in Cavan. There was one other really nice horse there that day. All I know is that the O'Briens in Galway had him. He had high points as well. A beautiful grey horse. Look into him. Think he is Dutch or Belgian bred. Has a very long akward name. I know someone who has a nice foal off him.

Hector Van D’Abdijhoeve (BWP)

That's his name. Can't believe that's over two years ago

Sibon stands with Leonard's in Newcastle west in Limerick. Great value at 500 second year standing here. The boy could jump and a lot of knowledgeable people heading his way this year

Also mullentine cavalier newly standing in kilkee in Clare really lovely stallion in flesh depends on how ur mare is bred though. 300 euro when mare is scanned in foal

budweiser6 wrote: »
    Sibon stands with Leonard's in Newcastle west in Limerick. Great value at 500 second year standing here. The boy could jump and a lot of knowledgeable people heading his way this year

He looks great but at his age shouldn't he have more progeny?

budweiser6 wrote: »
    Also mullentine cavalier newly standing in kilkee in Clare really lovely stallion in flesh depends on how ur mare is bred though. 300 euro when mare is scanned in foal

You're the second person to mention this horse, i'm not that far from him. Mayne an hour or so. Think i'll take a spin down. Thank you.

You're the second person to mention this horse, i'm not that far from him. Mayne an hour or so. Think i'll take a spin down. Thank you.

Do.. You won't be disappointed and the guy who stands him is sound. Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kaytay

Hi guys.. Bumping this post again ☺

I have a 5yo grey filly a grand daughter of both cruising and clover hill. A good stamp of a mare with lots of quality, medium bone. Great jump, but unfortunately had accident and got a bad gash to the leg.. All good now, nearly healed. I had planned in jumping her and getting few points up..but am thinking of putting her in foal to a warmblood Stallion this year. I'm currently looking at a few, would like the offspring to go on to jump.. Something to keep produce with a good spring.

What are your pick of warmblood stallions in Ireland.. Preferably in the west/south/midlands.

Saw sligo candy boy.. Stunning animal, great jump and breeding.. But quite young.. Not known yet.. Provisionally approved yet.

Saw womaniser..nice animal, throwing nice stock.
    Have seen and bred from shannondale saro, lux z, obos quality.

What are your favorite warmblood stallions at the moment. I'm hoping not to completely break the bank either.. Not sure if I can add photo of mare on these posts, to give ye an idea of her.

Hi there,

If you want something reasonably priced, with unreal warmblood jumping breeding then think of a horse called Tjipke in Nenagh. By Calvados, he is from one of the best Dutch marelines in the world. Up to now was just used really at private stud, still got a horse that represented Ireland at Le Lion D'Angers in eventing - Briary Swan and the 3* horse Soltair Justice.

He's not well known but will be more so after the summer as his sister Bonne Chance is qualified for Olympics for the Swiss. She was also on the team that won bronze at European Championships and was voted Swiss horse of the yr last year. If you take a look at his page, google stallion Tjipke and it will come up, you'll see the jumping royalty he's related to - his grand dam is a full sister of the former World no 1 jumper - Audi's Jikke. And the best part - he's €400. His owner is a farmer and it's a small operation so no commercial rates:)

Lucy Anne wrote: »
    Hi there,

If you want something reasonably priced, with unreal warmblood jumping breeding then think of a horse called Tjipke in Nenagh. By Calvados, he is from one of the best Dutch marelines in the world. Up to now was just used really at private stud, still got a horse that represented Ireland at Le Lion D'Angers in eventing - Briary Swan and the 3* horse Soltair Justice.

He's not well known but will be more so after the summer as his sister Bonne Chance is qualified for Olympics for the Swiss. She was also on the team that won bronze at European Championships and was voted Swiss horse of the yr last year. If you take a look at his page, google stallion Tjipke and it will come up, you'll see the jumping royalty he's related to - his grand dam is a full sister of the former World no 1 jumper - Audi's Jikke. And the best part - he's €400. His owner is a farmer and it's a small operation so no commercial rates:)

Thanks lucyanne for the Reply, will definitely check this guy out.. He's not too far away either. Have you any mares in foal or have you seen any of his foals / offspring?

I've seen the foals they are fab, there might be a pic of a smashing youngster by him on the page. If you google him there's an Irish field story showing youngsters by him. He really stamps his stock, a lot of lovely bays with the same handsome head. If you go up you'll see mares by him and they are the image of him. His owner John is lovely, if you're not far away go up and take a look at him.

• Advertisement

Lucy Anne wrote: »
    I've seen the foals they are fab, there might be a pic of a smashing youngster by him on the page. If you google him there's an Irish field story showing youngsters by him. He really stamps his stock, a lot of lovely bays with the same handsome head. If you go up you'll see mares by him and they are the image of him. His owner John is lovely, if you're not far away go up and take a look at him.

Might just do that. Is he fully approved with horse sport Ireland u wonder. I see it says approved but maybe only preliminary approval. It's hard to take the chance when he's not as well known, but the breeding is there I guess.

Kaytay he isn't approved. He does get lovely foals but if you're selling as foals, one with a bigger name and fashionable will help you sell. He's a great option if you want to sell privately on the strength of the foal itself and can explain the horse's breeding - must be one of the only Irish stallions with a sister going to the Olympics! Also a great option for people breeding and then producing on themselves.

Advertisement