Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside Social Welfare office

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If you think so. I hope with that reply your not trying to justify people being able to afford the luxury of a car when on social welfare.
    Doesn't happen in other countries!

I cant afford my car, hence the ad in my sig down there VVVVV

I need it though, like i said earlier in the thread, if i dont have it i dont get to see my daughter. Its that simple.

And just for your own information, im not in receipt of any Social Welfare payments at the moment, i do work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Ok i know not everyone who goes in there is unemployed, but i'm always shocked at the number of cars abandoned around there while people nip in!

I apologise if I didn't make my distinction clear. I didn't mean to tar everybody with the same brush, nor did I point the finger at anybody in this thread specifically. But there are many people who blatantly abuse the system.

I work too, but I'd be better off not working to the tune of about €100 a week. PS signatures aren't displayed on my browser so i missed thatVVV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

How on earth can anyone on the dole keep a car on the road! What is the secret? As a dole recipient, I'd love to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Ask someone parking their car outside the dole office :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Clareboy wrote: »
    How on earth can anyone on the dole keep a car on the road! What is the secret? As a dole recipient, I'd love to know!

It's possible to keep a car on the road on welfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

i remember bein 8 months pregnant having to queue for an hour to sign on with no toilet facilities absolute nightmare.
    I am in receipt of social welfare and have a car its my one luxury i need it to broaden where i can apply for jobs i saved every spare penny i had for 2 years to buy it. what about those on social welfare who smoke 20 fags a day @56 euro a week not much diff to running a car even more expensive if you ask me.

By not drinking a lot, not smoking, having fúck all luxuries in life?

i remember bein 8 months pregnant having to queue for an hour to sign on with no toilet facilities absolute nightmare.
    I am in receipt of social welfare and have a car its my one luxury i need it to broaden where i can apply for jobs i saved every spare penny i had for 2 years to buy it. what about those on social welfare who smoke 20 fags a day @56 euro a week not much diff to running a car even more expensive if you ask me.

I appreciate your position and have to admit that spending your money on a car is a lot better than poisoning your insides and damaging your health with nicotine. I imagine that poor public transport services in rural areas is a factor in people needing a car in order to improve their job prospects.

Melion wrote: »
    By not drinking a lot, not smoking, having fúck all luxuries in life?

You call polluting your insides and damaging your health with alcohol and nicotine a luxury!

You call polluting your insides and damaging your health with alcohol and nicotine a luxury!

Id consider them a luxury in the fact that they are not necessary in life, yet some people have no problem smoking 20 a day and drinking from Thursday til Sunday.

I dont smoke, never have and i go out drinking maybe once a month if im lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

With Public transport the way it is a car is not a luxury..It a nessesity.

If somebody has the car paid off and no loans on it then it can actually work out cheaper to run a small car than pay for public transport to get around especially if you live out in the county and have children.

Or ...are people on the dole supposed to just stay at home and not move outside the door?

How will they get to work;)

I admit that poor public transport is a big problem in rural areas and needs to be improved. As regards people on the dole staying at home - one can still get around by bike or on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

A car is a necessity just like a house is. You don't have to live in your house, you can live in a caravan or a tent or even a box. Would you consider a house a luxury?
    And what about parents who have to drop the kids to a school with no bus service like my kids school. The only alternative to having a car is getting taxis every morning and evening, and imagine how much that would cost.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    A car is a necessity just like a house is. You don't have to live in your house, you can live in a caravan or a tent or even a box. Would you consider a house a luxury?

And what about parents who have to drop the kids to a school with no bus service like my kids school. The only alternative to having a car is getting taxis every morning and evening, and imagine how much that would cost.

People do actually live without a car. I do not have one myself and I can manage. A car is not a necessity, a roof over your head is. In this country, we have become too car dependent.

As regards getting the kids to school - let them cycle! All that excercise and fresh air would be far better for them when compared to a totally unsustainable and unhealthy car bound lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I admit that poor public transport is a big problem in rural areas and needs to be improved. As regards people on the dole staying at home - one can still get around by bike or on foot.

You try cycling with a family with all your groceries on board your bike on the road!!! I certainly would not, I know people who have no choice as there is no provincials around. With some people its a necessity while with others it aint so everyones situation is different and should not be tarnished with the same brush. You don't know peoples circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

miles off topic.

Advertisement