Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easter Fleche 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So, who of our embryonic team are riding the Angel of Mons tomorrow? Let's form a group and see how we go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll be riding tomorrow. Just making cinnamon rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I can't tomorrow, but hope to make up for it during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'll be doing a ton tomorrow round Naul. Couldn't make today's effort, though with the howling wind I can't say I am sad ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Inquitus wrote: »
    I'll be doing a ton tomorrow round Naul. Couldn't make today's effort, though with the howling wind I can't say I am sad ;-)

Tomorrow won't be pretty. Just off the bike, lovely morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Forms due in this week.
    Any other boardsies doing it beside Cdaly and NamelessPhill?

Have a team of four with one more maybe he's putting in a entry even if he doesn't know it. Just trying to finalise route now

What are your plans for stopping during the night really need petrol stations with seating that stay open 24hrs.

Alas we kinda failed to get the team together so we've gone different ways. I'm now riding with the 'Hook Headers' (Kinnegad -> Dunmore East -> Mullingar).

Things have changed a bit since my last Fleche since Tesco stopped opening 24 hours. There'll be a dearth of open shops from midnight to around 6/7 am so some advance planning is needed there. We did manage to have a willing parent meet us with soup and sandwiches in the wee hours but there really wasn't anywhere to stop and sit away from main roads and big towns. Small town petrol stations were closed so a major town at 3 am might be worth incorporating into the route.

Would have liked to but didn't get my ass in gear.

Looks like its mass and Easter eggs instead :pac:

The www.pumps.ie website has a search function for 24 hour petrol stations. I don't know how reliable it is.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Alas we kinda failed to get the team together so we've gone different ways. I'm now riding with the 'Hook Headers' (Kinnegad -> Dunmore East -> Mullingar).

Things have changed a bit since my last Fleche since Tesco stopped opening 24 hours. There'll be a dearth of open shops from midnight to around 6/7 am so some advance planning is needed there. We did manage to have a willing parent meet us with soup and sandwiches in the wee hours but there really wasn't anywhere to stop and sit away from main roads and big towns. Small town petrol stations were closed so a major town at 3 am might be worth incorporating into the route.

What distance is your route working out at? Looks tough likely to never really have a tail wind.

Would be much easier with 24 tesco's alright we have plenty of petrol stations we can hit though but very few are fully open most only serve through hatch at night. Really preference would to be able to sit down some where for an hour or so just to cut down a bit on the night time riding.

We're were thinking to hit limerick around 11-12pm but really weren't planning to stop long there. It may be best option to make it last long stop though then ride through the night with just quick coffees at the petrol stations open in Nenagh and Birr. By the time we get to Tullamore place's will be starting to open again. McDonalds in Roscrea used to be 24hrs at weekend website say's it still is on Satudays if you were coming back that way.
    The www.pumps.ie website has a search function for 24 hour petrol stations. I don't know how reliable it is.

http://www.localmint.com/ie/categories/petrol-station

Was one I was looking at as well most are up to date I'd say. I'd double check any I was considering though

Most larger towns on N roads would have a petrol station open 24hrs. Most chippers in nearly any town are going to be still open late till 2 or 3 on a Saturday night ones in smaller towns would be grand wouldn't stop in one in a big town near a nightclub though.

Have you found another team to do it?

• Advertisement

Yes, I've got a team.

It's Good Friday night so maybe nightclubs and restaurants won't be opening. Theoretically there should be fewer drunk drivers about too.

We're planning to start on Saturday to finish at 10am on Sunday. Would be an advantage alright of Good Friday that you would assume the roads are slightly safer.

Do many teams do it early? Thought most would plan to hit Mullingar for 10am on Sunday. No need for a day of work for most people either.

We're starting 10 am Friday for a Saturday finish. Route comes out around 375k give or take. I'd say the thing to do is get a decent dinner fairly late and stock up on carb snacks to carry through the night. Coffee etc through the night.

Last time, our route was Cork -> Roscommon -> Dublin. Planning to benefit from the southwesterly winds. Turned out we fought a northwesterly all the way up to Roscommon...

Mullingar,Tullamore,Portarlington,Newbridge,Carlow,Kilkenny,Clonmel,Cahir,Tipp town,Roscrea,Birr,Athlone and back to Mullingar i think that is the route

May see you on the road you starting Friday or Saturday?
    Is your team listed here can't see that route?
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-eLv1UY2RMnRjRaU1dFVEJ6M0Z6a2dVUkRKTGY1WE5IUzRR/edit

We're going
    Moate, Newbridge, Abbeyleix, Thurles, Tipp Town, Castletroy, Nenagh, Roscrea, Birr,Tulamore, Mullingar

Looking forward to it even though I'm going to suffer like a dog. Training has not been ideal been sick on and off for over a month still not 100% Guys I'm doing with are strong though so should have plenty of shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Ryath wrote: »
    May see you on the road you starting Friday or Saturday?
    Is your team listed here can't see that route?
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-eLv1UY2RMnRjRaU1dFVEJ6M0Z6a2dVUkRKTGY1WE5IUzRR/edit

We're going
    Moate, Newbridge, Abbeyleix, Thurles, Tipp Town, Castletroy, Nenagh, Roscrea, Birr,Tulamore, Mullingar

Looking forward to it even though I'm going to suffer like a dog. Training has not been ideal been sick on and off for over a month still not 100% Guys I'm doing with are strong though so should have plenty of shelter.

Ye we are WTF looking forward to it with that I think I might get sick type of a feeling

lol route has changed

lol route has changed

lol
    Yea The Tank changed the route a bit for some reason we're swinging by Newbridge!
    Think we'll be seeing a bit of each other on the road. :)

Hook Headers here.

Route is Kinnegad to Mullingar*.

*via Dunmore East...:D

I'm one of the Asylum Seekers. Phoenix Park to Mullingar via Carlow, Durrow, Roscrea, Moate and Edgeworthstown. We're leaving at 3pm on Good Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'm one of the Asylum Seekers. Phoenix Park to Mullingar via Carlow, Durrow, Roscrea, Moate and Edgeworthstown. We're leaving at 3pm on Good Friday.

9 teams I believe.

Any chance of weather like today; it would be perfect

• Advertisement

Possibly 10. We might have the bare bones of a team together - The Moonlighters

ford2600 wrote: »
    Any chance of weather like today; it would be perfect
    I'll see what I can do...

Weather forecast for Friday-Saturday:

Dry, bright, probably with sunny spells. Winds light and variable
    throughout. Cold overnight but frost unlikely. Clear skies likely so a
    bit of moonlight should make the night ride that bit nicer. Friday
    temperatures up to about 12C, dropping after dark to around 1-3C before
    dawn but climbing again to around 14C on Saturday afternoon.

Check out http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ or
    http://mobile.met.ie/mobile/national.asp for the latest forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

We are looking at hitting the cafe in mullingar for about 9am sat morning, it would be great to meet up with a few old faces again.
    @cdaly, that headwind still invades my dreams.

Ah, but it was a good headwind wasn't it?

We're not heading off until 10am Friday and so plan to land around 10am on Sat. I suspect you'll still be snoozing into your coffee and scrambled eggs at that point...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Me, in Trim, after the headwind....

JohnJacobs.jpg

The appointed day has come!

Good Luck to all teams this weekend. If everything has gone to plan the first team will be finishing today and the last team sometime on Sunday morning. I'll be starting this afternoon, everything is prepared, I've just got to make sure I've packed all that I need. I've got to thank my husband and daughter for supporting me, they'll be collecting me tomorrow afternoon.

This will be the longest event I've ever done and I hope that I really love my bike or else there will be lead weights tied to it tomorrow afternoon and it'll be on the bottom of a Westmeath lake!

Best wishes to all Boardsies doing this event, may the wind be on your backs.

Good Luck everyone. Looks like just two teams finishing on the Sunday morning. Hopefully there is somewhere open to eat and we're not rolling into a ghost town at 10 in the morning. Thinking now it would be better starting this afternoon most of us working today though.

I will be finishing at 10 on Sunday getting nervous now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Good luck y'all! I shall expect epic write-ups on your adventures :)

Advertisement