Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easter Fleche 2014

• 13-11-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

4o1f6.jpg

Right, I know it's not until 20th April next year but it's time to start getting the band together. If anyone is interested in forming a Boards team to take on the Fleche just let me know.

The rules from 2013 are on the Audax Ireland website

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Are we talking Maximum or Minimum Distance (Please say minimum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What route did you have in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Minimum of 360km it'll probably be nearer 400km. Dublin - Portlaoise - Nenagh - Athlone - Mullingar avoiding the Slieve Blooms and from Nenagh back to Mullingar should be a tail-wind if there's a prevailing south-westerly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'm in - we might even get two teams.

The Speedy Pinks and the Limey Greens :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm interested in 400k, never done this much yet though.

That's like 22kmh rolling for 18hours, plus 6h stops? Doesn't sound too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Potential route starting in Cork

Rflynnr and cdaly have already expressed an interest. If so then there'll be at least one Boards Dublin based team and possibly a Munster based one too.

I propose that the team do either/both of the Angel of Mons 200km and the King's Mountain 200km audaxes early next year to get a feel for how the team rides as a group. The company of others can get pretty wearing after 8 hours and the last thing you want is someone who sings Britney Spears songs on repeat when they're feeling fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

the last thing you want is someone who sings Britney Spears songs on repeat when they're feeling fecked.

That's me out so.

Whoops, I did it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Rflynnr and cdaly have already expressed an interest. If so then there'll be at least one Boards Dublin based team and possibly a Munster based one too.

I propose that the team do either/both of the Angel of Mons 200km and the King's Mountain 200km audaxes early next year to get a feel for how the team rides as a group. The company of others can get pretty wearing after 8 hours and the last thing you want is someone who sings Britney Spears songs on repeat when they're feeling fecked.

So, it appears that Rflynnr has to drop out and we are down to two. Anybody else interested? Team numbers must be 3 to 5 machines (a tandem counts as 1). Current team consists of NamelessPhil and cdaly_. We have a ~400km draft route figured out which avoids most of the hills.

The team name is 'Night Crawlers' which should be interpreted more in the style of Judas Priest rather than as a pace forecast. :)

Angel of Mons is on saturday week so step up now and we can meet then for our second training session...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have always wanted to do the Easter Fleche, and will be available for the Angel of Mons. Nameless Phil, I know you are strong, but are you really strong enough to ride on the front for 24 hours dragging cdaly, myself and one other half way round the midlands? ;)

I would commit firmly but am up to my oxters at work and would need to get some decent mileage in between now and then to do youse justice...................is humming One Direction ditties frowned upon?

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have always wanted to do the Easter Fleche, and will be available for the Angel of Mons. Nameless Phil, I know you are strong, but are you really strong enough to ride on the front for 24 hours dragging cdaly, myself and one other half way round the midlands? ;)

I would commit firmly but am up to my oxters at work and would need to get some decent mileage in between now and then to do youse justice...................is humming One Direction ditties frowned upon?

One Direction isn't frowned on at all... I have a four year-old who sings mistaken lyrics to variety of songs. I may retaliate with Disney songs though!

It would be great if you could come on board. Really what we need is someone who can commit to the Fleche and can either make up the mileage themselves or maybe meet up once every couple of weeks for a spin based out of Dublin. You'd probably need decent winter base miles in the legs and an appetite for seeing midland towns in the dead of night on Good Friday!

Once we have finalised the route it would be great if there are any other Boardsies who can advise on facilities available in the places we pass through or are prepared to come out and shout encouragement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I'm in the same boat as Inquitus - would like to do this but don't have any winter mileage in and won't be in a position to get going until feb with a bit of ahem 'conditioning ' to get rid of . Haven't done an Audax since 2012 so will aim for Kings Mountain and see how it goes from there.
    Route finishes in mullingar ?

Mullingar is this year's endpoint.

Get yourself out now and start pushing those kms. Kings Mountain, Virginia and Ardattin should be enough to get you set up. If you've managed enough training to do the Virginia, you'll be set.
    One Direction
    Snatches of Rammstein from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I just e-mailed the Audax ireland Googlegroup to see if there's any more interest at this stage, and we'll see what happens. I'd be interested in a 360-400km Fleche, as I've done the last 3 years, but I'm usually bringing up the rear so I'd be a bit afraid of riding with Phil, who I have enough trouble keeping up with for 100k, never mind 400k !

Hopefully a few more will be interested, it would be good to get a couple of teams taking part at least.

Cheers, LG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

We're planning a team from Cork- "Fleche-Eating Zombies"- and I know of at least one (and possibly two) other team from the county.

AFAIK, people are planning to use the Fleche as the 300 or 400km qualifier for the MF1200 so the numbers should be up on previous years.

Pencil me in Nameless Phil and Cdaly and I'll keep you updated on how the form is going, I started a cycle training log here for 2014 it'll give you a rough idea of where I am at atm. If you find some other people who already have the form for a Fleche feel free to bump me off the lineup in the meantime.

Inq

LastGasp wrote: »
    I just e-mailed the Audax ireland Googlegroup to see if there's any more interest at this stage, and we'll see what happens. I'd be interested in a 360-400km Fleche, as I've done the last 3 years, but I'm usually bringing up the rear so I'd be a bit afraid of riding with Phil, who I have enough trouble keeping up with for 100k, never mind 400k !

Hopefully a few more will be interested, it would be good to get a couple of teams taking part at least.

Cheers, LG.

I'll fight ya for the coveted rear position! Shall I pencil you in and we can see how we all cope with the Angel next week?

I'll be doing the Mons next week and will see how the form is - all things being equal I'll have a go at the Flèche.

My Saturdays are tied up with lectures after that so will struggle with training spins on days other than Sunday.

LastGasp wrote: »

Cheers, LG.

Can we clear up a misconception here; I'm not going to rip the legs off anyone, I'll save that for racing season!

I'll ride at whatever pace is necessary for the team to get round. Anyway I've never ridden through the night so I'll need ye to keep me out of a boghole.

We're planning a team from Cork- "Fleche-Eating Zombies"- and I know of at least one (and possibly two) other team from the county.

AFAIK, people are planning to use the Fleche as the 300 or 400km qualifier for the MF1200 so the numbers should be up on previous years.

Hi there,
    is yere team full? I'm assuming ye are all based out of one club?

• Advertisement

ror_74 wrote: »
    I'll be doing the Mons next week and will see how the form is - all things being equal I'll have a go at the Flèche.

My Saturdays are tied up with lectures after that so will struggle with training spins on days other than Sunday.

Sure you student types have lots of time off. Mid-week training spins for you...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Sure you student types have lots of time off. Mid-week training spins for you...

:pac:

I wish. But yes, more spins during the week would be good.

I've no problem trying to arrange a mid-week ride every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Just want to register my support for this, although like a few others I think it's unlikely I'll get enough kms between now and Easter to tackle a 400k. I did the Six Megaliths last year but not at the same pace as some others on here.

Just to be clear - is the format similar to a 300? That is no sleeps, just keep plugging away until you get there? Sounds like a blast :D.

Yep should be good for midweek/ week day spins - thursday and friday would be ideal.

MediaMan wrote: »
    Just to be clear - is the format similar to a 300? That is no sleeps, just keep plugging away until you get there? Sounds like a blast :D.

Basically yes. 24hr on the road, no stopping for more than 2 hours in any one place.

Basically yes. 24hr on the road, no stopping for more than 2 hours in any one place.

Just wondering what kind of average speed on 200km+ cycles?

ford2600 wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of average speed on 200km+ cycles?

I would imagine you are looking at @22-23kph moving average giving you 18 hours moving and 6 hours resting, give or take.

I would imagine you are looking at @22-23kph moving average giving you 18 hours moving and 6 hours resting, give or take.

Thanks for that. Have done up to 250km solo, just wondering on how I'd measure up on the longer 300km+ cycles. I should be ok with that kinda pace

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ford2600 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Have done up to 250km solo, just wondering on how I'd measure up on the longer 300km+ cycles. I should be ok with that kinda pace

If you have done 250km solo without issue, 360km with company would not be a humongous stretch, more tiring but very doable.

So, who of our embryonic team are riding the Angel of Mons tomorrow? Let's form a group and see how we go?

I'll be riding tomorrow. Just making cinnamon rolls.

I can't tomorrow, but hope to make up for it during the week.

I'll be doing a ton tomorrow round Naul. Couldn't make today's effort, though with the howling wind I can't say I am sad ;-)

I'll be doing a ton tomorrow round Naul. Couldn't make today's effort, though with the howling wind I can't say I am sad ;-)

Tomorrow won't be pretty. Just off the bike, lovely morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Forms due in this week.
    Any other boardsies doing it beside Cdaly and NamelessPhill?

Have a team of four with one more maybe he's putting in a entry even if he doesn't know it. Just trying to finalise route now

What are your plans for stopping during the night really need petrol stations with seating that stay open 24hrs.

Alas we kinda failed to get the team together so we've gone different ways. I'm now riding with the 'Hook Headers' (Kinnegad -> Dunmore East -> Mullingar).

Things have changed a bit since my last Fleche since Tesco stopped opening 24 hours. There'll be a dearth of open shops from midnight to around 6/7 am so some advance planning is needed there. We did manage to have a willing parent meet us with soup and sandwiches in the wee hours but there really wasn't anywhere to stop and sit away from main roads and big towns. Small town petrol stations were closed so a major town at 3 am might be worth incorporating into the route.

Would have liked to but didn't get my ass in gear.

Looks like its mass and Easter eggs instead :pac:

The www.pumps.ie website has a search function for 24 hour petrol stations. I don't know how reliable it is.

Alas we kinda failed to get the team together so we've gone different ways. I'm now riding with the 'Hook Headers' (Kinnegad -> Dunmore East -> Mullingar).

Things have changed a bit since my last Fleche since Tesco stopped opening 24 hours. There'll be a dearth of open shops from midnight to around 6/7 am so some advance planning is needed there. We did manage to have a willing parent meet us with soup and sandwiches in the wee hours but there really wasn't anywhere to stop and sit away from main roads and big towns. Small town petrol stations were closed so a major town at 3 am might be worth incorporating into the route.

What distance is your route working out at? Looks tough likely to never really have a tail wind.

Would be much easier with 24 tesco's alright we have plenty of petrol stations we can hit though but very few are fully open most only serve through hatch at night. Really preference would to be able to sit down some where for an hour or so just to cut down a bit on the night time riding.

We're were thinking to hit limerick around 11-12pm but really weren't planning to stop long there. It may be best option to make it last long stop though then ride through the night with just quick coffees at the petrol stations open in Nenagh and Birr. By the time we get to Tullamore place's will be starting to open again. McDonalds in Roscrea used to be 24hrs at weekend website say's it still is on Satudays if you were coming back that way.
    The www.pumps.ie website has a search function for 24 hour petrol stations. I don't know how reliable it is.

http://www.localmint.com/ie/categories/petrol-station

Was one I was looking at as well most are up to date I'd say. I'd double check any I was considering though

Most larger towns on N roads would have a petrol station open 24hrs. Most chippers in nearly any town are going to be still open late till 2 or 3 on a Saturday night ones in smaller towns would be grand wouldn't stop in one in a big town near a nightclub though.

Have you found another team to do it?

• Advertisement

Yes, I've got a team.

It's Good Friday night so maybe nightclubs and restaurants won't be opening. Theoretically there should be fewer drunk drivers about too.

We're planning to start on Saturday to finish at 10am on Sunday. Would be an advantage alright of Good Friday that you would assume the roads are slightly safer.

Do many teams do it early? Thought most would plan to hit Mullingar for 10am on Sunday. No need for a day of work for most people either.

We're starting 10 am Friday for a Saturday finish. Route comes out around 375k give or take. I'd say the thing to do is get a decent dinner fairly late and stock up on carb snacks to carry through the night. Coffee etc through the night.

Last time, our route was Cork -> Roscommon -> Dublin. Planning to benefit from the southwesterly winds. Turned out we fought a northwesterly all the way up to Roscommon...

Mullingar,Tullamore,Portarlington,Newbridge,Carlow,Kilkenny,Clonmel,Cahir,Tipp town,Roscrea,Birr,Athlone and back to Mullingar i think that is the route

May see you on the road you starting Friday or Saturday?
    Is your team listed here can't see that route?
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-eLv1UY2RMnRjRaU1dFVEJ6M0Z6a2dVUkRKTGY1WE5IUzRR/edit

We're going
    Moate, Newbridge, Abbeyleix, Thurles, Tipp Town, Castletroy, Nenagh, Roscrea, Birr,Tulamore, Mullingar

Looking forward to it even though I'm going to suffer like a dog. Training has not been ideal been sick on and off for over a month still not 100% Guys I'm doing with are strong though so should have plenty of shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Ryath wrote: »
    May see you on the road you starting Friday or Saturday?
    Is your team listed here can't see that route?
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-eLv1UY2RMnRjRaU1dFVEJ6M0Z6a2dVUkRKTGY1WE5IUzRR/edit

We're going
    Moate, Newbridge, Abbeyleix, Thurles, Tipp Town, Castletroy, Nenagh, Roscrea, Birr,Tulamore, Mullingar

Looking forward to it even though I'm going to suffer like a dog. Training has not been ideal been sick on and off for over a month still not 100% Guys I'm doing with are strong though so should have plenty of shelter.

Ye we are WTF looking forward to it with that I think I might get sick type of a feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

lol route has changed

lol route has changed

lol
    Yea The Tank changed the route a bit for some reason we're swinging by Newbridge!
    Think we'll be seeing a bit of each other on the road. :)

Hook Headers here.

Route is Kinnegad to Mullingar*.

*via Dunmore East...:D

I'm one of the Asylum Seekers. Phoenix Park to Mullingar via Carlow, Durrow, Roscrea, Moate and Edgeworthstown. We're leaving at 3pm on Good Friday.

I'm one of the Asylum Seekers. Phoenix Park to Mullingar via Carlow, Durrow, Roscrea, Moate and Edgeworthstown. We're leaving at 3pm on Good Friday.

9 teams I believe.

Any chance of weather like today; it would be perfect

• Advertisement
Advertisement