Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Fleche 2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

good luck to everyone involved, this looks absolutley brilliant and something i would love to do in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Best of luck to everyone, ye are all mad, but in a great way.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Just spotted a team of five heading through Kilkenny at 3am. Fair speed to Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm back in one piece and the bike isn't at the bottom of a Mullingar lake. The Garmin should be though, the poxy device missed out the last 100km and drew a line from Tullamore to Mullingar. http://www.strava.com/activities/131989680 Aargh! Oh well 404km in 24 hours is good going. I've even got a tan in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll write more when I've slept. Good luck to any teams still out there and well done to all others that finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

We got back 8.45 this morning. What a nice weekend for it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/131829920

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well done Inc, pleasure to ride with you, strong as an ox all day and night, solid cycling without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

you too TBW.
    Everything and everybody worked well well I must say. No mechanical problems or no rider issues either. Route and timings were spot on and it was mostly down to our leader.
    Who or what did you have to do for this amazing weather I don't know but it was worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Just spotted a team of five heading through Kilkenny at 3am. Fair speed to Mullingar.
    That was us (Hook Headers). 260k done at that stage and facing into another 125k. The car passing and stopping up the road with driver jumping out onto the road turned out to be a nice surprise with a shout of encouragement in the early hours when we were feeling the chill. Nice to meet you Buzwaldo even if just for 1 second...
    I'll write more when I've slept. Good luck to any teams still out there and well done to all others that finished.
    Enjoy the snooze. I'm only awake now after heading to bed at 15.00 yesterday...
    inc21 wrote: »
    Who or what did you have to do for this amazing weather I don't know but it was worth it :D
    *Bows* (I put in a word with my colleagues in the forecast office...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

A few stats:
    Distance covered : 440km
    Calories burned: 20,000
    Calories consumed: 100,000 (approximately)
    Punctures: 1
    "Body punctures": Several
    Characters assassinated: Many
    Grumpiness factor at 5 am: All the way to 11

A incredible experience and fair play to everyone who took part.
    Thanks to John Maher for organising and to Reynos Cafe in Mullingar for putting up with wave after wave of tired , sweaty riders with good humour and lots of food.

• Advertisement

Out of bed at 06.30 for a 10 start after staying up late doing final bike prep. This bodes well...

Got down to Kinnegad in company with Dan and spent about 20 min driving around looking for free parking. Unloaded and set up bike. Took it for a short spin and decided the saddle was too low. Upped it a bit, still too low. Upped it a bit more, probably a bit too much as I ended up with a painfull knee some 50k later and dropped it back a touch at Athy which sorted that out.

Met up with the rest of the crew: Dan, Dave, John, TJ and me. We set out at 10 on the button under clear skies with not a drop of suncream between the 5 of us. Luckily we were in long legs and sleeves so it's just a matter of helmet-strap tan-lines.

The 60k to our second control in Athy were just a matter of setting a steady pace and settling in to the ride. Dave was sporting a set of 650c x 42 tyres @ 40psi on his Surly Soma on the basis of some studies claiming that fat, soft tyres are faster. They certainly seemed so, Dave spent a good amount of time in front leading the way. Lovely to watch the circular reflections on the road of sunlight off his gleaming chrome rims and guards.

I was getting something of a sore knee during this stage and decided that I'd raised the saddle too much at the start so I lowered it halfway at Athy. This seemed to clear up that matter.

On through Carlow to Thomastown. We got some quiet country roads but spent a lot of time on main roads which were not too busy (with the M9 nearby). By the control at Thomastown we were about 30 min ahead of schedule until a broken spoke as we set off caused an unscheduled stop. Since it was one of mine on my previously crashed and rebuilt Aksium which had snapped one or two weakened spokes since, I was well ready. Spare spoke in bag. Bike over, wheel off, tyre, tube and rimtape off, new spoke in, wheel trued, dressed, reinflated, mounted and off in 12 min!...

Stopped for some hot food in Mullinavat. Original plan was the Rising Sun restaurant but forgot it would be closed on good friday so it was the local chipper instead. Lovely clean chipper, even with toilet! Lovely chips too sitting in the sun outside the Post office across the road.

On through Waterford, racing the cars down the dual carriageway into the city. Out along Merchant's Quay and south for Dunmore East. Who's idea was it to put mountains by the seaside? Coffee and icecream cones above the harbour gazing across at Hook Head with 175k done at around 19.00. Just on schedule now, Dave had injured his knee but seemed happy to go on.
    8svc1d2ajnfh7ab12jodvdkbves89gug
    On from Dunmore East to Tramore through the sand-dune drumlins into the face of the setting sun (we had added a few layers above the harbour). A quick pause at Tramore to don the overshoes, two-layer gloves and extra nighttime jacket. Lights all working nicely. Once dark, temperatures dropped off fairly quickly. Stars appeared, dry roads, not too busy, settling into that closed in zen state of me/bike/pool of light on the road; lovely...

Next control at Portlaw, 22.00. Looking for a friendly bush, found a nice dark green with appropriate tree. No sooner had I headed over there than most of the population of Portlaw drove by with full headlights on!...

Heading on for Kilkenny now with the prospect of a hot sit down dinner. We found one long, long hill heading for Kilmaganny and no sign of a descent at the top. We had a quick visit from a friendly dog at that point as we rested briefly outside her gate. A quick sniff at all of us before she stood watching and waiting for us to leave... Found the descent shortly after, 2k free descending into Kilmaganny. This is when you find out if your lights are up to the job. Rolled on into Kilkenny on quiet roads with a red moon just cresting the horizon. Temperatures had stabilised at this point, I think there may have been a bit of thin cloud holding the heat in.

Into the Springhill Court hotel at 00.45 for hot pasta, chicken and tomato sauce, tea and coffee. We then lay down under the tables for about an hour of rest. Up at 02.30, more coffee, dressed again; fresh socks with foot warmers between the inner and outer socks, hand warmers in the gloves. Wearing pretty much everything I'd carried earlier.

Rolling out under clear skies in the moonlight it was feckin' chilly now, glad of every layer. Down through the sleeping town, only the odd car out. At one point some lad made some kind of gesture at us out of his car. Ignored that and carried on. Next thing the car heads past us and pulls in at the next roundabout and the driver hops out.

"Are ye heading to Mullingar?"
    "We are."

"How far have ye come?"
    "270k."
    "Well done, GOOD LUCK!" *waves*

"Who was that?"
    "Dunno"
    "How'd he know where we were going?"
    "Must be the jerseys"

Buzwaldo apparently. And so, buoyed by that unexpected encounter, we rolled on into the night...

As we rode, it seems that Dave's knee had settled down and we rode on for Portloaise via Ballyragget, Durrow and Abbeyleix. Trucks. There were trucks. Do those drivers never sleep?...
    The promised 24-hour petrol station at Portlaoise came up closed and so we feasted on bananas, fig rolls and a swig out of a water bottle. The ice in Dave's water bottle had melted by now (no, it wasn't that cold, there were ice-cubes in the hotel jugs when we filled up at Kilkenny). The dawn had come over that time. Very quickly it seemed. Maybe only 15 minutes from darkness to being able to see without lights.

As we rode on towards Tullamore ("We have to be there by 7.30 lads"), the sun came up and the chill started to dissipate. Took the N80 which was ok though a bit too populated with cars. Good hard shoulder mostly though so it wasn't too bad. Good surface too. Made Tullamore for 7.30 and we have to control at Kilbeggan at 8.00 (you have to control at hour 22 at least 25k from the finish). Stopped for a spell at Tullamore to regroup and search around for the remaining energy stores.

Set off again and controlled on the roadside at 8.00 about 3k from Tullamore.
    5l2hu6dfde75er34c0j6c19b4rbh0b6k

Got to Kilbeggan at 08.25, had the promised tea and rolled again at 08.35. 24k to go and 1h25 to do it in. Took some back roads towards Mullingar until we hit the N52 with about 15k to go at 9.35. "Right lads, keep it over 25kph and that should see us home before 10."

A 15k hammerfest is just what we wanted at the end of 380k! But we did it. You would have thought we would collapse by the roadside but we all rose to the challenge. Thundering down (and up) the N52, soaring through roundabouts and leaping lightly over the inevitable speed ramps into Mullingar town.

Rolled to a halt outside Reyno's cafe to the cheers of Mrs TJ with kids and the rather more muted applause of the already assembled (and knackered) already finished teams.

A well earned and particularly gorgeous breakfast before the crawl home to bed.

383k in 23h55 at an average 20.5kph with 18h44 rolling...

Thanks to Dan (our glorious leader), John (our indefatigable navigator), Dave, TJ and myself (our long-spinning powerhouses) and to Mrs TJ for most welcome cheering, organising the Kilkenny stopover and ferrying weary riders back to Kinnegad...

tl:dr
    We set out from Kinnegad to cycle the 20k to Mullingar but got lost and ended up covering 383k. We'll know better the next time... :D

http://www.sports-tracker.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.strava.com/activities/132191212

That's all for now I need sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Heuston station for 9.am. With the clear blue skies and a convivial atmosphere amongst the weekend train travellers, Team Moonlighters met up and exchanged a few excited pleasantries. We basked in the morning sun for a few extra minutes (just in case it was short lived ) while double checking all the necessaries. With all in order, Marcello, Brian and myself snaked our way westwards through the morning traffic, out towards the N81.

A badly timed front wheel puncture forced a quick detour to the Cycle Superstore - wasn't taking any chances and changed the tyre too. The city limits faded behind us as we headed out through Saggart and Rathcoole towards Kilcullen. Really, the weather couldn't have been more agreeable for a bike ride. Clear skies and only the faintest of breezes at our backs, the undulating fields punctuated by the whir of serviced drive chains, Marcello regaling us with International brevet anecdotes. We settled in to a rhythm that would remain steady for the rest of the ride.

Athy was the first control at 70k and a smorgasbord of carbs from Superquinn was scarfed by the banks of the Barrow. Trying to keep them as wholesome as possible, I found a packet of cakes with only 5 ingredients. Sweet. We pressed on towards Carlow town when the left pedal started playing up with my shoe cleat. I gave it three crank rotations - if it didn't click there was sweet spot that would take the load with no fuss. Grand. My first time around those parts and scenery was lovely in the afternoon sun. We cut across to Gowran, Thomastown and over a nice little hill and down into Carrick on Suir where we stopped for dinner and control receipts, 168km covered.

Suitably stuffed with pizza and what not, we tooled up and kitted ourselves out for the night. The ride took on a different dynamic as we rode closer together, our beams forming a symmetry of shapes in the dark hard shoulder of the N24 to Clonmel. Pressing on into Tipperary town we stopped again, this time more to break up the monotony of the cool night than anything. Chips and onion rings, the warm calories and friendly staff were well received. On towards Limerick for our third control at 260km.

The service stations and late night boy racers of Limerick behind us, we headed for Birr and the traffic became noticeably quieter. We took the opportunity to relax and have a bit of fun riding wide across the road - a bit like heading home after a fancy dress party I guess. Then, a break for a quick snooze and some other essentials, the remainder of the Superquinn cakes were scoffed with considerable enthusiasm. We rolled on through the night, lights trailing, shapes on the ground looming only to disappear just as quick, the hallucinatory effect of sleep deprivation was milder than expected, but combined with tired legs and cold feet a degree of crankiness had set in.

We arrived in Birr at 340 odd km as the sun came up, gradually warming up our extremities. On into Tullamore and the sensation of riding along with the rhythm of the earths rotation around the sun was far out to my frazzled brain. 365 km at Tullamore and Marcello bade us farewell to catch a ride home. Brian and myself pressed on into Mullingar, the morning sunshine restoring a degree of normality, my knees growing tender from the fixie. We arrived to a warm welcome from fellow riders ( howyia cdaly_ - didnt realise it was yourself !) and club members, between 410 and 420 km completed. A large breakfast and then the train back to Dublin - tired, bewildered, sunburnt and happy.

Thanks to the organisers and well done to everyone who took part !

th_P1010037_zps8f89e5ae.jpgth_P1010040_zpsdad18d1f.jpgth_P1010042_zps500d6f53.jpgth_P1010047_zps27a4371f.jpgth_P1010055_zps40d285e5.jpgth_P1010057_zps1b825faa.jpgth_P1010061_zpsdfdb22c9.jpgth_P1010064_zps99e13bed.jpgth_P1010066_zpsa2505ed1.jpgth_P1010073_zps36905ebc.jpgth_P1010071_zpsf623644b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

[ Ignored that and carried on. Next thing the car heads past us and pulls in at the next roundabout and the driver hops out.

"Are ye heading to Mullingar?"
    "We are."

"How far have ye come?"
    "270k."
    "Well done, GOOD LUCK!" *waves*

"Who was that?"
    "Dunno"
    "How'd he know where we were going?"
    "Must be the jerseys"

Buzwaldo apparently. And so, buoyed by that unexpected encounter, we rolled on into the night...

As we rode, it seems that Dave's knee had settled down and we rode on for Portloaise via Ballyragget, Durrow and Abbeyleix. Trucks. There were trucks. Do those drivers never sleep?...[/QUOTE]

Was heading home at the ungodly hour of 3am from a friends annual tradition of Good Friday card game when I spotted 5 hardy souls progressing purposefully out of the city. Doped as I was by the hour, it took a moment to realise they had to be Flechers (escapees from local asylum wouldn't have been kitted out quite as well).
    Had to stop to admire these Masters of Endurance, and muse about the things I might aspire to if I ever got the mileage up, and some motivation from somewhere (must check adverts section - get most bike related stuff there).

Anyway good to see you head off into the night, but had serious guilt trip 20 minutes later that I hadn't thought to check re your supplies or if any hospitality needed. Glad to hear you had the Springhill arranged.

WRT the trucks - plenty of such traffic around Glanbia plant in Ballyraggett, but seeing the way you guys were lit up like Christmas trees, I'm sure they had you well spotted and gave plenty of leeway.

Chapeau to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Had to stop to admire these Masters of Endurance, and muse about the things I might aspire to if I ever got the mileage up, and some motivation from somewhere (must check adverts section - get most bike related stuff there).

@Buzwaldo as someone who did Fleche this year and also used to spend Good Fridays at a poker table there is no contest over which one is more rewarding.

Bit of planning with training and any reasonably experienced cyclist should be able to do it.

Well done on giving lads a shout at 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Ryath wrote: »
    http://www.strava.com/activities/132191212

That's all for now I need sleep.

`Well done Brian great cycling with you have to say the last 60 km was one of the hardest mental task's of my life and have to say that the Tank is indestructible really impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

My team mate gave a brief account above, just thought I'd flesh it out a little.

I was part of a team of four, which did a 440km loop starting and finishing in Mullingar.

For anyone thinking of doing it next year or similar one or two things that might help
    * Ride with experienced riders if possible. We were lucky to have an audax rider with incredible experience of audax riding; it help in terms of excellent advice for training, preparation, route planning(this is really important in terms of safe roads, good surfaces, avoiding excessive climbing and most importantly cycling on scenic roads) and especially relentless strong riding.
    * Preparation is key. Again another team member had all that meticulously planned, in terms of food stops(what's open when, seating etc), spares,(9/10 speed chain links, 25mm tyres, spokes etc), pacing etc.
    * Have someone with good mechanical skills in your group
    * Get to enjoy long days on bike.
    * Get used to eating normal food on bike, 24hrs on gels probably won't end well.

On the ride itself, it was a day from the Gods, dry, just warm enough and next to no wind. It really made the day and had everyone in good spirits from the off. @cdaly organised the weather after I asked him earlier in thread!

Very hard to describe the ever changing landscape we went through over the day but the following is a summary
    * Gentle rolling landscape of Westmeath
    * Crossing Shannon in Athlone
    * The stone wall divided farmlands of east Galway
    * East Clare and the distant Shannon estuary
    * Cycling through east Limerick and west Tipperary as dusk fell over the distant Galtees to our South
    * The glowing Rock of Cashel as we cycled in from Dundrum
    * The empty old N8 as we headed north from Cashel to Abbeyleix
    * Beautiful almost full moon rising in the east
    * I hr sleep on a large couch at 3am after soup, tea and a sandwich, in the Abbeyleix manor hotel. If Carlsberg do, Audax stops, then this is it!
    * Cycling through bog of Allen at sunrise on way into Edenderry; cold but very beautiful

Two other things that stick in my memory
    * A middle aged gentleman leaning out the passenger window in Ballinasloe roaring at me to "****ing cycle abreast", while giving a driving lesson! (The rest of my post might be lies, but you couldn't make that up)
    * Discussing Stanley Mathews at 1am with a local octogenarian in an Urlingford chipper

One thing that helped us was the route schedule. We had a sheet containing each segment between controls with planned average speed (21kph early on down to 18kph towards the end), distance, expected arrival time, allowed stopping time and latest departure time.

We also had somebody assigned to monitor time spent at each stop and to shout out elapsed time every 5 mins. This helped avoid a 10min rest turning into 30min and kept our schedule up to 30 min ahead at the start and pretty much on time by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'm back in one piece and the bike isn't at the bottom of a Mullingar lake. The Garmin should be though, the poxy device missed out the last 100km and drew a line from Tullamore to Mullingar. http://www.strava.com/activities/131989680 Aargh! Oh well 404km in 24 hours is good going. I've even got a tan in places.

Was just messing around with this and realized we met you on the road just outside Clara. You certainly took a lumpy route.

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#132191212,SubdB/Ih5weAdeQH
    `Well done Brian great cycling with you have to say the last 60 km was one of the hardest mental task's of my life and have to say that the Tank is indestructible really impressive

Cheers Pat was seriously tough alright several times I was considering my options for bailing out. I really was fecked at the 200k mark in Thurles. But each time once we made a stop and got food on board it was like ok I can make the next one. Once we made Roscrea I would have done to Mulingar solo even if it took me all day. Thank god for the Tank I don't think any of us would have been able to keep that average only for him setting the pace on the front.

The cold during the night between 3 and 5 was the worst garmin says -1 for a while. Advice for anyone considering doing it start in the evening much easier dealing with the cold when you're fresh. I was stupid though had another baselayer I could have stuck on at stop in Newport.

I'll write a mini report tonight.

Advertisement