Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS as data input for web application

Options
  • 15-06-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I want to allow users to send reminders to my web application via SMS. e.g they send an SMS to an 085 number and when they come back to the app the text message is there waiting for them to act on, like a reminder. When they register on the app they supply their mobile number so I'd use that for authentication/routing.

Anyone know where to start on this ? I've looked at some SMS gateways who seem to charge up to €400 for a dedicated mobile number or ~€50 for a shared number. That man over on agtweet.com is doing something like this to allow people to tweet via SMS. I suppose I could just plug a cheapo phone into my laptop and automate from there but that seems like a string-and-sticky-tape solution.

/ Colm
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

This might do it:

http://www.txtlocal.co.uk/web-sms-inbound.php

You should ring them - their api will prob let you access incoming messages.

Or they may be able to execute a http request for you when a message comes in on your number - e.g. if you set up a jsp or php page which does an insert into your app which takes a mobile number and message as parameters maybe they can call it each time u get a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ViperMAN

Hi,

I think the easiest and cheapest way of doing this is to go down the route of plugging a phone into your server as a GSM modem. I did this for a project of mine recently and it worked a treat. I used a Nokia 6230i. Also have a look at SMSLib- very handy!

Advertisement