Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asp.net vs PHP

Options
  • 12-06-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

If you know both Asp.net and PHP which would you use and why?

As a .net developer who is starting to find my way around asp.net im wondering is there any point in learning PHP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

I've only ever written five lines of .asp, I'm a php man myself.

That said I used to make money out of a developer who worked in .asp, because every time they needed to find the best open-source package available to add usability to a site, it was written in a non-proprietary language, usually php.

I was very green when I started learning php, my main reason for picking it was that it's free and I'd seen it used a lot, so it must be good enough.

One reason for sticking with it now is that there are so many fantastic places to get chunks of really good code to use in your php sites, free of charge. PHP Classes is a great example.

I'm also hugely impressed by the amount of functions already built in to php, but I haven't learned another language to compare it to. php function index

Some of those functions would require the installation of PEAR or PECL packages to work, they're both very handy way of adding functionality to the language though, and you get the packages for free.

In a sentence, my reason for sticking with php is it's freedom.
    As a result there's tons of great resources out there that make everything easier to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

PHP (with MySQL and jQuery) all the way for me.......

Free, easy to access and set up different versions, easy to code, easy to provide a CMS, and all output predictable, scalable, tweakable, non-proprietary and cross-browser.

No contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

bigbadcon wrote: »
    If you know both Asp.net and PHP which would you use and why?
    Ever see the movie "Ronin"? You know the scene where Sean Bean's character is quizzing Robert DeNiro's character about his favourite weapon? Well knowledge of programming languages is like that toolbox. You use the the right one for the job and it helps to know how to use as many as possible, even PHP.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ASP.net is not the same as asp - they shouldn't have given them similar names.

I use .net because that's what we had to use in my last company, I used asp before that. I've had a quick look at PHP - some pretty basic changes to OSCommerce and phpBB etc. Hopefully they are bad examples of PHP coding, as the amount of PHP in the middle of HTML isn't pretty at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

PHP is a language, ASP.net is a framework.

I'd echo jmcc, choose the tool to fit the task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Advertisement