Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for boiler replacement ?

• 03-01-2014 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what boiler would people suggest for an ageing Potterton Suprima Natural Gas boiler that heats a 17 radiator system. It's an open system with three zones and indirect hot water.

It seems to have a temperature control issue which I suspect is the PCB (again) and I'm just not sure it's worth spending money on it.

It's probably about 13-14 years old.

It's located in a boiler house, so I'm not too worried about compact size. The main thing I want is decent controls. Ideally, I'd like one I can set the system temperature in ºC

I find the ring of dots approach with no temperature reference a bit stupid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what boiler would people suggest for an ageing Potterton Suprima Natural Gas boiler that heats a 17 radiator system. It's an open system with three zones and indirect hot water.

It seems to have a temperature control issue which I suspect is the PCB (again) and I'm just not sure it's worth spending money on it.

It's probably about 13-14 years old.

It's located in a boiler house, so I'm not too worried about compact size. The main thing I want is decent controls. Ideally, I'd like one I can set the system temperature in ºC

I find the ring of dots approach with no temperature reference a bit stupid.

When you say temperature problem what's happening ? Could be as simple as a thermistor which cost about 20euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's definitely switching on and off but even at the lowest temperature setting the radiators are pretty hot. I'd estimate around 75ºC or so.

If you turn it up any higher, it doesn't really get any hotter either, so I think there's something odd going on.

We'd some issues with a shower pump, which resulted in the plumber fitting a cylinder stat which was unnecessary as I think the electric immersion had actually overheated the tank, not the boiler and caused cracking of plastic fittings on the flexible anti-vibration hoses on the pump.

He drained down the system and caused a lot of airlocks which took some time so resolve.

The system's a little bit unusual and can be a bit hard to get air locks out of sometimes due to its layout rather than anything else.

I called a different plumber, who quoted me over €1000 to resolve these and wanted to install all sorts of magnate filters and do power flushes. The system seemed completely clean when it was drained down, so I thought it was rather unnecessary but he kept insisting, so I haven't phoned back.

He also suggested the boiler's probably due replacement at this stage.

If it's just a thermistor I don't really fancy spending a few grand for the hell of it.

Advertisement