Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publisher will not upload my website :(

Options
  • 13-06-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi there,

I have purchased my domain, and my hosting package, however it did not come with a designer service so I have decided to begin building my website on Publisher as it is already installed.

After I finish creating my site, I proceed to upload it and I keep getting a 'error' message.

Is there something I am doing wrong that I should change?!
    OR - is there an alternative builder that is compatible with Register365 and is free?

Thank you :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

We're going to need a bit more information, like what exactly the "error" message says, and what version of Publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hollyeef

Yes its publisher '03,

The message states :
    'cannot connect the the FTP server named 'thedomain.com' '
    This comes up after I click save on the file I made in FTP locations specifically for this site.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

hollyeef wrote: »
    Yes its publisher '03,

The message states :
    'cannot connect the the FTP server named 'thedomain.com' '
    This comes up after I click save on the file I made in FTP locations specifically for this site.

Thank you
    Are you sure you are using exactly the details supplied:

Server address
    Username
    Password

Maybe you have a firewall blocking the connection

Type this in internet explorer's address bar:

ftp://username: password@serveraddress/

filling in for the values, see does that load.

This is not working so do you think my details are the problem?

I assumed my USERNAME is the same as my 'ACCOUNT NAME (site administrator)', provided by my hoster, is this correct?

Thank you

Guessing from the message, it looks like a FTP service is not running on the address you connecting to.
    Usually you get an address ftp.myhost.com or ftp.mydomain.com - mydomain.com alone is not usually.

If your username/pass was incorrect, you'd prob get authentication error message (I don't know publisher though).

Of course a firewall can also block this.

Type this in IE or firefox: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ - does it load a file listing? - if so, firewall problems are unlikely.

• Advertisement

<H2 id=WinINetFtpDirectory>FTP root at ftp.microsoft.com

To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.
    Welcome to FTP.MICROSOFT.COM. Also visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads.
    This is what came up /\

How can activate the site then to have an FTP service running?!

Thank you so much

Ok that is grand, more likely your log in details are in correct. What web host are you using?

Lite host - register 365

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

not familiar with Publisher - but maybe try downloading an FTP client -
    I find filezilla great - works every time.

As Webmonkey said user access details may be causing an issue

Also, the FTP user account you are using to log on - make sure it is not restricted to a specific directory on your Host Site.

Maybe log on to your Host site (Control Panel) and set up a new user with full FTP Access

In the error message about, did you modify the error message to 'thedomain.com' - If you want, can PM me the server address and see if you actually connecting to right server

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I had a hosting account in the past, i think i remember i had a different username and password for ftp access

I just had a look at my host again,

under 'Email & FTP' on my control panel is the username I have been using, so that seems correct, and all the passowrds on this account are the same :(

So left is the poss its firewall? Is that right?!

Thank you

I don't think it is a firewall problem since you connected to another FTP site successfully.
    Try downloading a FTP client like Pablod suggested. It should give ya more details if you have a problem such as incorrect username/password.

But going by that error message above, I still think it looks like you using the wrong FTP server address to connect to as it 'cannot connect to xxxxx' - If it was a authentication problem, usually (dont' know about publisher), it would give you an authentication message but you would still have connected to the server in order to validate the authentication.

ok I'll try that now - and filezilla is the best?!

Thanks

Yep decent free one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd first of all start by contacting your host for details of your FTP login rather than assuming what they might be.

According to my control panel under 'Email & FTP', my username and password are correct,

however trying to upload now, it states my Login details are incorrect :(

Usernames and passwords are case sensitive as well , Linux server probably.

No its a windows, what are the diffs between linux and windows?

Like Aidan said, best to contact your host with regards to this now.

Either your FTP account is not active or you using wrong server to connect or something related.

• Advertisement
Advertisement