Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Biology/Geography

Options
  • 21-08-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

So, I'm going into 5th year and I was wondering about how biology is tested in the LC. Is there a project to be undertaken? And geography, what type of investigation must be undertaken? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Biology is 100% graded on your written LC paper on the day, theres a section of short questions (answer 5 of 6 I think), an experiment section (answer 2 of 3), and long questions (answer 4 of 6).
    Its a long enough course but its fairly handy if you put work into it and you have interest in it.

geography has a project worth 20%, you undergo an investigation of one topic your school picks from a list - I think most people pick the fluvial/coastal ones, you go and do experiments at the beach or at a river etc and write a booklet on it. Its fairly straightforward and usually get marked fairly high. (I got full marks on my project last year). The exam then itself is handy enough again if you put work into it. Short questions, a physical section where you answer two essays and a shorter question, regional geography on places like italy and india in the same format and human geography (overpopulation and stuff) in the same format. You also answer one elective question, probably geoecology which is soils, and you do a longer essay on that.
    I'd recommend a study book like Sue Honan's essay book. I learned the essays from that book solely and got an a1 in geography. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Neird

peekachoo wrote: »
    Biology is 100% graded on your written LC paper on the day, theres a section of short questions (answer 5 of 6 I think), an experiment section (answer 2 of 3), and long questions (answer 4 of 6).
    Its a long enough course but its fairly handy if you put work into it and you have interest in it.

geography has a project worth 20%, you undergo an investigation of one topic your school picks from a list - I think most people pick the fluvial/coastal ones, you go and do experiments at the beach or at a river etc and write a booklet on it. Its fairly straightforward and usually get marked fairly high. (I got full marks on my project last year). The exam then itself is handy enough again if you put work into it. Short questions, a physical section where you answer two essays and a shorter question, regional geography on places like italy and india in the same format and human geography (overpopulation and stuff) in the same format. You also answer one elective question, probably geoecology which is soils, and you do a longer essay on that.
    I'd recommend a study book like Sue Honan's essay book. I learned the essays from that book solely and got an a1 in geography. Good luck!
    Thanks so much for that! It has really calmed me! Where would you get that book?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Neird wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that! It has really calmed me! Where would you get that book?

I bought it myself from a friend but I imagine you'd get it in a school book supplier like easons and if not online! I personally found it easier to just learn off essays than actual information and form the essays myself.

peekachoo wrote: »
    I bought it myself from a friend but I imagine you'd get it in a school book supplier like easons and if not online! I personally found it easier to just learn off essays than actual information and form the essays myself.

Thanks so much, Ill be on the lookout for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Chief Examiner's Reports every year mention the learned off essays and how in many cases they do not answer the actual question asked. So, while they might be a good idea as an indication of how to write an essay, I certainly wouldn't be just rehashing learned off stuff in an exam.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    The Chief Examiner's Reports every year mention the learned off essays and how in many cases they do not answer the actual question asked. So, while they might be a good idea as an indication of how to write an essay, I certainly wouldn't be just rehashing learned off stuff in an exam.

To be honest, I would just use it as a guideline on the structure and content of the essay, that's what I struggle with

Advertisement