Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Vacant Places

Options
  • 14-08-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know if the vacant places listed on the CAO website as of now are the only ones there will be this year. Or might there be more added at a later date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There could be more at a later date.

Currently vacant places are on courses where less people have put it down anywhere on their list than there are places on the course.

So they know it won't be filled on Monday even if everyone that is offered it accepts it.

After Round 1 some of those offers will be accepted and some will be rejected so if places on courses are rejected and there are no more people to offer them to through the CAO, then those places are vacant and will be advertised as such. However you won't see those appear until acceptance for Round 1 offers closes which is a week to ten days after Mondays offers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

oorrccaa wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know if the vacant places listed on the CAO website as of now are the only ones there will be this year. Or might there be more added at a later date?
    There will be more. Judging from previous years, a few more will go up Monday / Tuesday, and as RBT says after the close of the Round 1 period, others will go up.

It never gets to be a huge list, but definitely a fair bit more than what it is today.

It also tends to be courses at Level6/7 as students have filled in both lists on their CAO and often take the Level 8 offer over the Level 6/7 offer if they have received both, so freeing up more places on these courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

Thanks a mill. All I needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

Could i still apply for a level 7 course now if a place becomes availible even if i didnt put it down as one of my choices??

• Advertisement

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    Could i still apply for a level 7 course now if a place becomes availible even if i didnt put it down as one of my choices??

if it's on the vacant places list, yes.

So when will i know if its on the vacant places list??

There is a list of courses currently on the CAO website. It's the first link in the menu 'Available Places'. Some of the courses are very similar to what you have applied for, if you are willing to go to another college.

Other places that arise will only be put on the list after each round is closed when they have definitely been declined by students that had received them as offers.

E.g. Level 7 Quantity Surveying is on the vacant places list for Letterkenny IT (LY507)

I have not made an application this year
    I am going to for one of the vacant places tomorrow. If a course I would prefer to do popped up on the vacant place list later could I do that instead?

I have not made an application this year
    I am going to for one of the vacant places tomorrow. If a course I would prefer to do popped up on the vacant place list later could I do that instead?

No reason why you couldn't. There isn't any restriction on applying for vacant places.

• Advertisement

Indeed.

Do note that even on Vacant Places you still have to meet any minimum requirements listed, Mayo! ;)

Indeed.

Do note that even on Vacant Places you still have to meet any minimum requirements listed, Mayo! ;)

Thanks, i know that :P how likely is a level 7 construction economics and quantity surveying course to be on the vacant places list?

Thanks, i know that :P how likely is a level 7 construction economics and quantity surveying course to be on the vacant places list?

You're posting the same questions across three threads. You'll get your answers faster if you stick to one thread. I already answered this on one of the other threads.

Actually I answered it on this one. Post #9

You're posting the same questions across three threads. You'll get your answers faster if you stick to one thread. I already answered this on one of the other threads.

Actually I answered it on this one. Post #9

Im hoping for the one in GMIT. Do you think its likely to be on vacant places list?

Thanks, i know that :P
    Sorry, didn't mean to be a smartarse, but just in case you thought Vacant Places meant different rules! ;)

Im hoping for the one in GMIT. Do you think its likely to be on vacant places list?

NOBODY here can answer that. Nobody knows if everyone will accept places on it and if there are people who applied but didn't get it and could be offered those places in Round 2.

Guessing at what will appear on the Vacant List is a waste of time. You'd be better off putting your energy into investigating other courses on the list for suitability and considering if you are interested in going to a college other than GMIT.

If this is a non runner, then you need to consider what you are going to do if your papers are not worth appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Protest the Zero

So, after people apply for them, are the Vacant Places assigned randomly or is it first-come-first-serve (assuming you meet all the prerequisites)? Hope I have a decent chance, as I found a level 8 I really want to do.

Does anyone with experience know generally how long it takes to be accepted/declined? Or will it come with the Round 2 offers?

So, after people apply for them, are the Vacant Places assigned randomly or is it first-come-first-serve (assuming you meet all the prerequisites)? Hope I have a decent chance, as I found a level 8 I really want to do.

Does anyone with experience know generally how long it takes to be accepted/declined? Or will it come with the Round 2 offers?

Don't know about demand but it says of you have the application in by Monday you will know by Thursday

Don't know about demand but it says of you have the application in by Monday you will know by Thursday

Oh right, will have to read through again, I missed that bit. Thanks for the help!

Normally, provided you meet the requirements, candidates will be ranked in order of points at the end of the week and places offered on that basis, as with normal CAO lists.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got any acceptances yet?

I was wondering, the info page says 'If you apply for a course on Monday at 11am, you will be considered for the place by Thursday", or something to that effect. Now, taking the fact that the facility opened at 12:00 on Tuesday.... will we get (or not get!) offers today? It's annoying how they don't outright tell you "No" if you don't get in, would clear things up a bit. Tried ringing them yesterday about it, to no avail.

Has anyone got any acceptances yet?

I was wondering, the info page says 'If you apply for a course on Monday at 11am, you will be considered for the place by Thursday", or something to that effect. Now, taking the fact that the facility opened at 12:00 on Tuesday.... will we get (or not get!) offers today? It's annoying how they don't outright tell you "No" if you don't get in, would clear things up a bit. Tried ringing them yesterday about it, to no avail.

No. And why would you get an offer today? It clearly states that offers applications that are in by 11 on Monday will be offered on Thursday.

If the facility only opened on Tuesday then it doesn't count for this week.

No. And why would you get an offer today? It clearly states that offers applications that are in by 11 on Monday will be offered on Thursday.

If the facility only opened on Tuesday then it doesn't count for this week.

I thought they might have shifted the offers to today to compensate for the facility opening a day later. My bad!

As far as I remember, the first offers come out with the Round 2 Offers next week ... which is very logical, if you think about it - how will someone be able to make a decision re: accepting a vacant place to-day if they're still hoping that their dream course will drop X points in Round 2 next week and they will get an offer?

And they can't tell you "no" if you don't get in, because Vacant Places works the same as general CAO in most ways: if there are 10 vacant places on a course, and 30 applicants, they are ranked after the deadline passes and the first 10 get offered places (or maybe 12 if they reckon not everyone is likely to accept).

Edit: Hey, I just realised I already told you that 4 posts further up!! :mad:

Ah, that's all good then No more stupid questions from me, cheers man!

Excellent!! :cool:

(And good luck! ;):D)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

If I accept my level 8 and then see a level 8 course on the available places list and rank it higher than the course I have accepted do I have a chance? Even though I've already accepted something from that column?

PLL wrote: »
    If I accept my level 8 and then see a level 8 course on the available places list and rank it higher than the course I have accepted do I have a chance? Even though I've already accepted something from that column?
    Short answer: yes.

The fact that they are both Level 8 isn't relevant at all, and won't affect the process in any way.

And if you don't get the offer for the available place, you will still have the course you have accepted.

Will there be more places advertises? Or is that more than likely all there will be?

• Advertisement

Will there be more places advertises? Or is that more than likely all there will be?

Students can be offered places after Round 2, it's not called Round 3 as such but after that colleges are starting and while people do often start late after offers come from the appeals, I'd guess that the vacant places does have a cut off point as colleges wouldn't want a stream of students starting at different times.

The CAO opens November 1st every year so they would have to start getting ready for the new year. I'd imagine everything for this year shuts down by the end of September, except for the appeals offers mid October.

Advertisement