Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€80 gym fee

Options
  • 02-07-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever protested against this mandatory fee to register with the college ? Broke students that have no interest in using the gym yet made to come up with €80 extra for the year

I wonder if you said to them out of principle your not gonna pay it would they let you (€6000) walk away and go somewhere else

I understand its a great deal for gym goers but im sure theres alot that dont bother using it

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it a fee to register or a fee for the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

spurious wrote: »
    Is it a fee to register or a fee for the gym?
    Aparrently it's included in the fee to register so you have no choice but to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

When I attended the college 2008-2011. Every year there was protests/ petitions or something like that to get the fee removed. Can't believe they are still charging it! At least it hasn't gone up!

When I attended the college 2008-2011. Every year there was protests/ petitions or something like that to get the fee removed. Can't believe they are still charging it! At least it hasn't gone up!
    There has been a referendum on it last year and for some strange reason the vote was void. Hopefully the SU somehow reach a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

There was an initial vote to include the membership and fee as part of college registration and there has been more than one subsequent vote as to whether to continue the arrangement. the most recent was a few weeks ago. So obviously the majority want the gym fees to remain.

Don't worry, you'll get at least one chance to vote on it again, you can have your say then. Incidentally, threatening to give up your whole college education over €80 is silly and melodramatic, and will not get the college to waive the fee. Talking to them like an adult will get you further, i've found them to be extremely helpful in the fees office over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

UCD had a €250 fee for years to cover the cost of building a new sports complex. Ironically, those who paid the fees for years were the ones who graduated before the complex was even opened.

Colleges are b*stards for pulling these stunts

UCD had a €250 fee for years to cover the cost of building a new sports complex. Ironically, those who paid the fees for years were the ones who graduated before the complex was even opened.

Colleges are b*stards for pulling these stunts
    Guess we are not the only college pulling these stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jd1594

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    There has been a referendum on it last year and for some strange reason the vote was void. Hopefully the SU somehow reach a compromise.

As a gym user I think the fee is great for a whole year personally but I see how it's unfair on people who don't use it.

I'm pretty sure there was at least 2 votes on this stuff this year, the SU seem pretty keen against the gym. Wish they'd switch their efforts to improving the poor clubs and socs scene in NCI, or even making use of these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The first vote was void this year because SV kept coming in and campaigning despite the efforts to keep them out, one of the main problems the su had was that the gym wouldn't release the info of how many students actually used the gym so they couldn't see how many students did use it. But the second vote went ahead and the student body votes to keep the gym membership by a landslide I think the margin was something like 4;1

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Has anyone ever protested against this mandatory fee to register with the college ? Broke students that have no interest in using the gym yet made to come up with €80 extra for the year

I wonder if you said to them out of principle your not gonna pay it would they let you (€6000) walk away and go somewhere else

I understand its a great deal for gym goers but im sure theres alot that dont bother using it

I suggest you get a couple hundred people who don't use the gym but have had to pay the fee, arrange to go to the gym everyday during the busiest times and just take up all the equipment so regular gym-goers will complain to management. Then you can produce a signed petition by all the protesters against paying the fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

anyone who doesn't wanna pay it (dunno why you wouldn't as it's unbelievable value) just get a doctor's note and exclude yourself from it. simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Whats the story with the gym fee this year ? are they doing the 80 euro compulsory payment for membership again this year in september?

Personally i hope so, Its great value and its a solid gym could do with more than one power rack but for 80 quid ill take what i can get! , And its great excuse to get into shape if your not already into working out.

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Whats the story with the gym fee this year ? are they doing the 80 euro compulsory payment for membership again this year in september?

Personally i hope so, Its great value and its a solid gym could do with more than one power rack but for 80 quid ill take what i can get! , And its great excuse to get into shape if your not already into working out.
    I presume it will be continuing until further notice.

Advertisement