Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conceiving/pregnant with ED

Options
  • 25-05-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

has anyone here had experience of / known of anyone becoming pregnant while suffering an ED (eating disorder)?

I know it is not the best scenario for either the baby or mother, but I need hope..

I've had bulimia for nearly 20 years... have tried many times to treat it. I think at this stage it is as much a physiological addiction as emotional crutch (I would have believed this was the reason it started). I've a very wonderful, understanding & patient partner. We would dearly love to start a family.

I've been for pre-natal health check up (ie ovary scans, bloods, hormone levels, ovulation tests etc).. all came back good (surprisingly) and I take my Folic Acid.

Perhaps naively I believe the bulimia will 'stop' when I find out Im pregnant, as I wont want to further risk my baby. It's severity at the moment however is bad.. And to add to the stress (which perpetuates the ED even more) is the fact i climb into bed every night thrashing myself for 'wasting' another day... I am 39 by the way, so I feel I am running out of time..

I am so depressed some days, I feel I am denying my partner a child by not 'doing enough' to make myself better, yet I dont know where to start.

Doctors just hand me pamphlets.. Group Therapy meetings seem to occur in the evenings primarily (when I have to work) and I cant afford private counselling at the moment.. I feel I have to basically 'recover' by myself and it is very hard....

has anyone any advice or stories of hope please?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hi OP -

I was thinking on this last night and think you're very brave to be trying to pull through this. I don't have much time to write much here now, but I have a friend who's a counselor for people w/ ED - if you'd like I'd be happy to pass on your info to her & see if she could help you. She's in the States so a schedule may be more suitable for you (even if it's just emailing/skype).

If you'd like this, pm me.

Advertisement