Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

500 maternity appointments cancelled due to Queen's visit

Options
  • 16-05-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

http://www.womensviewsonnews.org/wvon/2011/05/500-maternity-appointments-cancelled-due-to-queens-visit/
    Summary from Belfast Evening Telegraph, May 16, 2011

Up to 500 maternity appointments have been cancelled at a Dublin hospital because of the Queen’s visit to Ireland tomorrow.

And women have been told that if they go into labour they will encounter road closures and heavy security due to a wreath-laying ceremony nearby.

However the gardai has agreed to make sure that anyone in labour will be allowed through the strict security cordon to the hospital.

Around 20 – 40 births take place at the Rotunda hospital each day as well as hundreds of routine appointments.

Dr Sam Coulter-Smith, master of the hospital, said the royal visit was a “headache”.

Ladies if you are due into either hospital I suggest you double check your appointments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I was in there today in semi private, and they said they are closed for the week. It's unbelievable! God love anyone due this week

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Im due in 3 weeks and have an appointment this wednesday in rotunda, they sent me a reminder text today about my appointment, so im presuming its still going ahead.. thats a disgrace though!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I rang about an hour ago & was told it's just tomorrow's appointments which were cancelled
    & everyone will have been contacted by phone or text to cancel. I asked if they were closed any other days & they said no.
    HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Just tomorrow and "just" because there's a ceremony in the Garden of Remembrance...

oh thats good news, for me at least. But i have to say, i think its disgraceful that pregnant women's appointments are being cancelled just beacuse we are having a vistor to the country... i mean so what, big deal. No need to shut the bloody country down. As far as im aware she wasnt coming untill either today (mon) or tues or something, so why have there been garda directing traffic around dublin city and parking restrictions practically everywhere you look in the city since as early as friday? its nonsense if you ask me:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

qwertytlk wrote: »
    oh thats good news, for me at least. But i have to say, i think its disgraceful that pregnant women's appointments are being cancelled just beacuse we are having a vistor to the country... i mean so what, big deal. No need to shut the bloody country down. As far as im aware she wasnt coming untill either today (mon) or tues or something, so why have there been garda directing traffic around dublin city and parking restrictions practically everywhere you look in the city since as early as friday? its nonsense if you ask me:confused:

i think its more for safety reasons and possible threats than the pure fact shes a VIP. if i was pregnant (esp.if in the Rotunda) id be very wary of all the threats of violence etc. in the city, so tbh im glad they're not taking it lightly. better safe than sorry.

yea i guess your right...but i was pretty angry and upset when i was going to my appointment on wed. It took the gardai about 10 mins to let me out of my road then the normal 5min drive from my house to rotunda took about 25 mins as one garda would tell me to go one way, and when i got there i would be told to turn back. Then if that, on top of standing around a crowded,,hot hospital for 2 hours wasnt bad enough, when i tried to go home...i wasnt allowed. The queen was in croke park and so they wouldt let me go back to my house. :mad: Had to hang around in the car for almost 2 hours. Not a good day

Advertisement