Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my leaving cert proposal plan

Options
  • 16-12-2013 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

First of all I think english should be completely optional. All that would should require for english is spelling, grammar, how to write letter, short stories, diaries. stuff like reading shakespeare, novels and poems are completely unneeded for someone who is thinking of more engineering or scientific, accounting or business or economics course. people who are thinking about doing a course about arts, literature and people etc should also have the option of dropping the science and math courses if they want to.
    also I hate having to analysis films, movies are made for one enjoyment like video games. also I don't mind seeing shakespeare plays or drama because you aren't just looking at a book.

I think also instead of the required 6 for leaving cert it should be reduced down to three and not having to repeat a second year for some other 3 just straight up having required only 3 subjects with other subjects, just reduced the maximum points from 600 to 300.

Do you think these maybe good ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

No! : p

I'll start with the last: uni admissions, as they currently are, would have to be changed dramatically. 500-600 points covers the top 10% of the cohort; having the maximum as 300 would lead to 200-300 covering the top 33%, making it much more difficult to differentiate.

I agree that English should be split into Literature and Critical and Functional Writing. But, your contention that an engineer or scientist gains nothing from reading and analysing fiction is WRONG, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Irish should also be made optional and/or be split into conversational Irish and more traditional Irish that involves the poetry etc. at the moment, I find the Irish language system to be completely ridiculous. It's supposed to attract students to the language, not repel them - which is what it is doing right now in my opinion.

As regards English, I don't actually find it that bad. The Shakespearean stuff could do with being toned down a bit and the comparative study, but other than that it's fine. For people like me looking to study a business degree, it is certainly no benefit to know all about Shakespeare and the comparative study, so I agree with the English teaching system to be separated into functional writing and literature for those that want to go on to study a degree that heavily involves English.

For any of these to happen though, would take a major overhaul to our education system which I don't see happening right now, but hopefully in the future.

Advertisement