Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Economics in repeat L.C.

Options
  • 13-12-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Is it realistic to take up Economics, at this stage (Repeat). Currently do 6 subjects (all honours except maths). Business is my favorite subject, I've looked through the exam questions and the two subjects seem similar. Is it a good idea to take up the subject?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

showsaf wrote: »
    Is it realistic to take up Economics, at this stage (Repeat). Currently do 6 subjects (all honours except maths). Business is my favorite subject, I've looked through the exam questions and the two subjects seem similar. Is it a good idea to take up the subject?

Maybe a little late, but depends on how much time you can set aside for economics. The course itself isnt very big and doing business might help you with some of it. The subject can be 'easy' once you understand the main topics and definitions, the questions asked are mostly 'how does this happen?' , ' what impact does this have?' And most of the questions require 2-3 line answers for your points. Economics can be a great subject, if you give it enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

showsaf wrote: »

I think it's do-able you don't need to cover the whole course anyway. If you cover the 4 micro sections as well as trade and national income you will be ok for the long questions. For the rest of the course learn off key definitions and practice past short questions and you should be covered for the short questions. Normally you should cover the whole course but you only have 5/6 months so you should be wise about what you aim to cover.

However, you should also remember that the time you would have to put into covering economics could be used to perfect your other six subjects. Although I don't think covering the economics course as I have outlined above would be an issue but it's still a big risk to take.

If you cover the 4 micro sections as well as trade and national income you will be ok for the long questions.

He wont be ok as many times questions are not solely in one topic, meaning that he could be asked part(a) Perfect comp. and part(b) banking, for example. There's few things you should leave out as you are leaving yourself open to awkwardly phrased q's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

He wont be ok as many times questions are not solely in one topic, meaning that he could be asked part(a) Perfect comp. and part(b) banking, for example. There's few things you should leave out as you are leaving yourself open to awkwardly phrased q's etc.

Perfect competition has never been paired in a question with banking but I do understand your point. It depends on what grade the OP wants . I'm just saying with only half a year to cover the course it would be an idea to narrow the course down as much as is possible.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Perfect competition has never been paired in a question with banking but I do understand your point. It depends on what grade the OP wants . I'm just saying with only half a year to cover the course it would be an idea to narrow the course down as much as is possible.
    I can understand that but either he does the majority of the course, (money, banking and inflation shouldn't be left out) or he doesn't do economics. Another thing is economics is graded pretty hard so don't be expecting anything above a B1 unless you know your stuff inside out and the exam is nice to you. Personally OP I would leave it and focus on your other subjects, I know what its like to do 9 subjects albeit Irish and Maths at OL, but unless you can really give the subject the time it needs, don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Another thing is economics is graded pretty hard so don't be expecting anything above a B1 unless you know your stuff inside out and the exam is nice to you.

The course is extremely short. OP all you knew to do is print off all available marking schemes and sort them into question sections eg market structures, inflation and get learning. The questions are extremely repetitive, often word for word repeating of the questions.

There is curve marking. If no one gets As, they will rewrite the MS to get x amount of As,Bs and Cs.

Advertisement