Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equal marriage referendum

Options
  • 26-02-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm seventeen and have been in a relationship for the last three years, currently living with my boyfriend (yes, I'm gay) and would just like to make something clear for the idiots out there who think us gay people should just settle for civil partnership rather than going for the full thing (marriage): If my boyfriend and I were in a civil partnership and one of us were to be brought to hospital after a serious accident, the other would not be able to go see the one in hospital as they are not recognised as direct family. If one of us were to die, we wouldn't have the right to be involved in the funeral or anything - we'd be a stranger as far as the insurance company, goverment and everyone else would be concerened. So if our families didn't agree with or like our partners they could decide to not let us see the person we love for the very last time at their wake, their funeral or even if one of us was to be cremated we would have no right to be in possession of the others ashes without the approval of the direct family. Now just imagine you (if you were/are in a relationship) had absolutely no right to these things. It's inhumane and it needs to change, if gay people are allowed to marry then this problem will automatically go away. We'll be able to set our loved ones to rest and be recognised as an equal to someone in a hetro relationship.

Just thought I'd educate those closed minded straight people who don't understand how much this effects our lives.

Oh - and if you'd like more information on the matter watch the documentary (now on netflix) Bride Groom and hopefully afterwards you will understand why we are fighting so hard for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I'm seventeen and have been in a relationship for the last three years, currently living with my boyfriend (yes, I'm gay) and would just like to make something clear for the idiots out there who think us gay people should just settle for civil partnership rather than going for the full thing (marriage): If my boyfriend and I were in a civil partnership and one of us were to be brought to hospital after a serious accident, the other would not be able to go see the one in hospital as they are not recognised as direct family. If one of us were to die, we wouldn't have the right to be involved in the funeral or anything - we'd be a stranger as far as the insurance company, goverment and everyone else would be concerened. So if our families didn't agree with or like our partners they could decide to not let us see the person we love for the very last time at their wake, their funeral or even if one of us was to be cremated we would have no right to be in possession of the others ashes without the approval of the direct family. Now just imagine you (if you were/are in a relationship) had absolutely no right to these things. It's inhumane and it needs to change, if gay people are allowed to marry then this problem will automatically go away. We'll be able to set our loved ones to rest and be recognised as an equal to someone in a hetro relationship.

Just thought I'd educate those closed minded straight people who don't understand how much this effects our lives.

Oh - and if you'd like more information on the matter watch the documentary (now on netflix) Bride Groom and hopefully afterwards you will understand why we are fighting so hard for this.

think your information is a bit off there on much of that. I'd wager the documentary you mentioned might be the source if your info, but that reflects the position in the USA prior to the Windsor case (struck down their Defence of Marriage Act and has lead to full marriage equality being introduced in a majority of the US States).

In Ireland Civil Partners have many of the rights of spouses, including inheritance rights. I dont think any of the examples you raised could arise here.

Still, there are circa 150 other differences between the two which need to decide resolved, but more importantly the separate but equal treatment of same sex relationships must be done away with.

Also, I realise this is an emotive subject but you catch more flies with honey. A lot of the undecided people out there genuinely don't know enough about the issues to make an informed decision and calmly explaining to them why this is important an how it affects them can go a long way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have a very, very inaccurate view of Irish civil partnership. This doesn't negate the need for a yes vote, though

Advertisement