Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping to OL Irish?

Options
  • 08-12-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey guys im in 5th year now and currently doing HL for all my subjects including Irish. Im doing 8 subjects all HL and was wondering would it be a good idea to drop to OL irish. The workload im getting in Irish right now is insane to say the least. I spent 3-4 hours on homework today for tomorrow. Irish isnt my strongest point and next year I will be doing 3 projects in LC and to be honest there is no way im going to find time to study for irish especially when I have no interest in it.. Any opinions? Am I too far into the year to drop now or will I be ok? I did HL for JC too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Hey guys im in 5th year now and currently doing HL for all my subjects including Irish. Im doing 8 subjects all HL and was wondering would it be a good idea to drop to OL irish. The workload im getting in Irish right now is insane to say the least. I spent 3-4 hours on homework today for tomorrow. Irish isnt my strongest point and next year I will be doing 3 projects in LC and to be honest there is no way im going to find time to study for irish especially when I have no interest in it.. Any opinions? Am I too far into the year to drop now or will I be ok? I did HL for JC too

I dropped to OL Irish in 5th year earlier this year so maybe I can help.

The workload you get in Pass Irish is nothing compared to HL. It's much simpler too and a lot less is expected of you, I actually enjoy going to class because of how easy it is, it's nearly a break. Saying that, it does involve work for you to get an A, there are still stories and poetry to learn, along with SP. Sraith Pictiur and the stories/poetry is the same for both levels so whatever you've done so far will be appropriate for OL. I did HL for JC and it's almost like an extension of the Junior Cert course, you'll be fine. Saying that I would recommend to see how you did/will do in your Christmas tests before dropping. Also, talk to your current Irish teacher and Guidance counsellor, they are actually helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

I wont be going anywhere until the new years anyways .. i tried moving earlier on in the year but my teacher wouldnt let me so i just left it at that and we were doing sort of OL work up until now anyways like we covered 2 stories and 2 poems but the last couple weeks have hit deep into HL with the Essay and starting the novel ag tit or whatever its called (Funny that I only remember the word tit from the tittle).. But thanks a lot that was a very helpful answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I wont be going anywhere until the new years anyways .. i tried moving earlier on in the year but my teacher wouldnt let me so i just left it at that and we were doing sort of OL work up until now anyways like we covered 2 stories and 2 poems but the last couple weeks have hit deep into HL with the Essay and starting the novel ag tit or whatever its called (Funny that I only remember the word tit from the tittle).. But thanks a lot that was a very helpful answer

Just make sure that you definitely don't need Irish for University and just remember, once you drop to OL, there's no way to go back to HL. Glad I could help!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I only did 6 HL subjects and got 570. If you think you may need a backup you should certainly keep 7, but 8 is just an unnecessary waste of time and effort IMO, which leaves you with less energy with which to use on the subjects you will be counting on for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Drop it. Not worth the bother in my opinion. You will enjoy pass Irish. It's facile to say the least at times.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

God damn language should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I made the same decision - it would have been a lot of work to pass HL, with no points benefit (as it would have been my lowest anyway by far).

There is still work in OL, but it's much simpler and nicer. If you aren't failing HL you should find it easy enough to get a B with little effort, just homework and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

I was doing all (7) Higher level subjects in 5th year, and I decided to drop HL Irish since only your top 6 are counted, and Irish was too much work and wasn't my best subject. It's not actually hard (its just learning sheets off) but too much time and effort for me that I'd rather spend on other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

If you really dislike the subject and have no interest in it I would suggest dropping down as 8 HL subjects are unnecessary. However, HL Irish isn't that hard to do well in considering now that that oral is worth 40%, and honestly getting 30-35% in that is extremely doable. I found that HL Irish did get a lot easier in 6th year, once you have an idea of everything on the course. I'd give it a shot anyways for another while, and if it is your weakest subject and the one you dislike the most, then consider dropping it.
    Troxck wrote: »
    Just make sure that you definitely don't need Irish for University and just remember, once you drop to OL, there's no way to go back to HL. Glad I could help!

Not really, I did HL from 1st-2nd year, dropped to OL for 3rd year and done the JC with OL. Did OL for the first half of 5th year, then moved up to HL in the February of 5th year, so it's not impossible! ;)

Its not that im failing at it or anything but theres 2 things : 1) The work to be done is a lot considering im doing 8 HL subjects .. 2) I skipped 4th year and went straight to fifth so others around me might have a bit more experience with irish .. I know certainly a good lot of my class go to irish college and all that .. so im kind of struggling to get the grips of it but its more about the work than anything .. Its like working without getting payed cause im pretty sure i wont be using Irish as one of the 6 subjects for the points .. I only got a C after all in HL JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Its not that im failing at it or anything but theres 2 things : 1) The work to be done is a lot considering im doing 8 HL subjects .. 2) I skipped 4th year and went straight to fifth so others around me might have a bit more experience with irish .. I know certainly a good lot of my class go to irish college and all that .. so im kind of struggling to get the grips of it but its more about the work than anything .. Its like working without getting payed cause im pretty sure i wont be using Irish as one of the 6 subjects for the points .. I only got a C after all in HL JC

Honestly I'd say drop it. If you're not going to count it there is zero point in putting in all that work and even risking failing and losing your language requirement. No one needs 8 HL subjects anyway, give yourself a break.

Talked to the teacher told me to sit the HL Xmas exams and if I still want to drop to talk to her after the break

Advertisement