Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data roaming abroad on Meteor, should I ask for a data block before I leave ?.

Options
  • 17-02-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to Germany on Friday the 22nd, and am a bit concerned about data roaming charges abroad. When I got my first smart phone in august 2011 I was still on pay as you go, and at the time meteor charged you 50 cent for 50 MB. I didn't want to use it at the time and only wanted Wifi so I turned off "use wireless networks" , "Use Packet Data" and "Data Streaming", and even selected to only use 2G networks.

Even with all these turned off, I was still getting charged, so I rang meteor and the guy on the phone said sometimes certain apps will still transmit a tiny amount of data, and suggested putting a data block on my account, so they did and that worked fine. Since I switched to bill pay and got 1GB of bandwidth a month, I got rid of the cap and to be fair Id be lost without having the Internet on my phone (much to my girlfriends dismay).

Ive read on Meteors site though that if your in another EU country, you will be charged 48 Euros from the get go to use data roaming abroad for the first 1GB, and prompted for another 60 for the next 1GB. I never use the full 1GB at home but there no way I want to pay that much for data roaming abroad, would I be safe disabling all the data roaming setting on my phone again or should I ask for another data block before I leave ?, it wouldn't be a big issue only for meteors lines are closed at midnight and my bus to the airport leaves at 1AM, Ill be board out of my mind on the bus and waiting in the airport with no internet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I used meteor roaming on bill pay when i was in France during the summer. it didn't cost €48 between that and calls i was only charged about €10 extra on to my bill now i wasnt on facebook or anything just quick google searches when i needed them.

I forgot too my phone was a galaxy s2 you had to turn on roaming in settings before you could use it and then i think click accept on the meteor webpage i was redirected to, it wasnt as straight forward as just turning on packet data.

Advertisement