Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what's NCI like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shamelessJ

Thanks for the reply spacecowb0y im really looking forward to starting, does the gym have a pool, shauna and that sort of stuff? yea thats **** about the christmas exams but exactly what ye can ye do? is there many mature students in your course ill be 28 starting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

shamelessJ wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply spacecowb0y im really looking forward to starting, does the gym have a pool, shauna and that sort of stuff? yea thats **** about the christmas exams but exactly what ye can ye do? is there many mature students in your course ill be 28 starting

It has a sauna and a steam room but no pool unfortunately, as i said its quite small but does the job! There are lots of mature students i started my course as a mature student and ill be 27 going back but in my class it ranges from very young to quite old (20 to 50ish if i had to guess). Also is your course full or part time? From what i hear the part time course are made up primarily of mature students.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

I was "gonna" start the managment of tech in bus as you are however my mind has changed the past couple monthes due to a couple of things, I went to two open days and the people there could not tell me jack about that course when i asked about the job prospects.. I was so disapionted i mean if you really look at the modules theres lots of INTRODUCTION modules esp in the IT part so what IT job can one land with a heap of introduction modules under your belt.

And there is also no work placement in this course which let me tell ya in this day an age will give someone much more advantage in landing a job over a grad that has 7 months work placement

Iv now changed my mind to networking tech in DIT I would have loved to gone to NCI but a laid back lazy response from the open evening has turned me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I would have loved to gone to NCI but a laid back lazy response from the open evening has turned me off it.

Do you know who it was you were talking to? That's quite surprising. Although I'm in the school of business so know nothing about the school of computing...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Do you know who it was you were talking to? That's quite surprising. Although I'm in the school of business so know nothing about the school of computing...

No i wouldn't remember I just don't see it been too good of a course considering theres no work placement but i could be wrong it could be a sought after degree i just know the guy couldn't give me much info jobs wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm doing that Management IT course now I was actually considering switching courses not because the course was bad thought I wanted to do something different course in marketing but got told I don't need a marketing degree I can get into it through this course. I was reassured and everyone has told me there are many jobs from the course that it opens many doors to different areas. Also nearly everyone I spoke to even people outside told me this is a great degree to have and well respected. I was concerned about the work experience thing too. My friend who knows people there said that in the 3rd year summer just before the honours, you can get work experience. Not sure how true it is but that's what I've heard. There are many different jobs from the course it doesn't tie you down. Maybe you should try emailing the college if you want more information?

No i wouldn't remember I just don't see it been too good of a course considering theres no work placement but i could be wrong it could be a sought after degree i just know the guy couldn't give me much info jobs wise

Well that's fair enough, it's important that you make the choice that's right for you and what you want to do.

Does anyone do the Business(hons) course? thinking of switching courses.
    Is the course good? I'm more interested in business than computers.
    Is there many in the class?

Does anyone do the Business(hons) course? thinking of switching courses.
    Is the course good? I'm more interested in business than computers.
    Is there many in the class?

The BA in Business Management?

I graduated from that in 2012. Absolutely loved it! There was around 100 or so in my class but there was never more than 60 or so in at one time except for exams :p

The BA in Business Management?

I graduated from that in 2012. Absolutely loved it! There was around 100 or so in my class but there was never more than 60 or so in at one time except for exams :p

Yeah I think so the one thats NC009. Does the course have many presentations?
    How are the lectures? Did you have many hours?
    What was the workload like?

• Advertisement

Yeah I think so the one thats NC009. Does the course have many presentations?
    How are the lectures? Did you have many hours?
    What was the workload like?

I don't think we did any presentations in first year. But we did one in second year and then three in third year...but it may vary depending on what electives you have chosen too.

Lectures were grand, usually three hours per week (one 2 hour session and one 1 hour session) and then one 1 hour tutorial.

The hours weren't bad at all. There are probably about 17 or so hours per week in first year, and then around 14 or 15 in second or third year. I think I only had a day off during one semester over the three years. Every other semester we had something on each day. Again, it may depend on your timetable and what subjects you've chosen as electives.

The workload was fine, I thought. But it depends on what you're after. I got a first class honours in my degree but I had to work really hard for it, and I had a part-time job so there was a lot of time management going on! :P

I don't think we did any presentations in first year. But we did one in second year and then three in third year...but it may vary depending on what electives you have chosen too.

Lectures were grand, usually three hours per week (one 2 hour session and one 1 hour session) and then one 1 hour tutorial.

The hours weren't bad at all. There are probably about 17 or so hours per week in first year, and then around 14 or 15 in second or third year. I think I only had a day off during one semester over the three years. Every other semester we had something on each day. Again, it may depend on your timetable and what subjects you've chosen as electives.

The workload was fine, I thought. But it depends on what you're after. I got a first class honours in my degree but I had to work really hard for it, and I had a part-time job so there was a lot of time management going on! :P

Whats the lectures like? Are the lectures boring?
    Is it hard to keep focused for the whole of the lectures?

Whats the lectures like? Are the lectures boring?
    Is it hard to keep focused for the whole of the lectures?

Wait, do you mean the lecturers or lectures?

Depending on your interest in the subject and the lecturer's ability to keep the class engaged will determine how focussed you are in class I suppose!

Wait, do you mean the lecturers or lectures?

Depending on your interest in the subject and the lecturer's ability to keep the class engaged will determine how focussed you are in class I suppose!

I mean just the lectures.

I mean just the lectures.

Well I suppose if you don't like the subject or the lecturer then you probably won't be enthralled by the lectures. but most of the lecturers I had were great and the lectures were fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RichRooskey

Hi,

I am just wondering have you completed this BAMTB degree in NCI. I am going into my final year this September and just wanted to know how people found the final year in it.

We have 3 electives to choose from Service marketing management, Intro to taxation and Auditing. Im not overly interested in any of the 3 so I'll do the easiest one but I don't know what one would be the easiest.

I've really enjoyed this degree and I would recommended it to people.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

Avoid this place like the plague. In Computing they are still teaching outdated technologies, there is very little communication and co-ordination between lecturers, support staff and examiners and since they are now setting up all computing students with free access to Pluralsight online training, prospective students would be better off signing up to that site and doing whatever courses they want and use the money they saved from not going to NCI to pay for individual exams related to the relevant courses they have on Pluralsight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Avoid this place like the plague. In Computing they are still teaching outdated technologies, there is very little communication and co-ordination between lecturers, support staff and examiners and since they are now setting up all computing students with free access to Pluralsight online training, prospective students would be better off signing up to that site and doing whatever courses they want and use the money they saved from not going to NCI to pay for individual exams related to the relevant courses they have on Pluralsight:)

Sounds like its got worse since i finished so and it wasn't great during my time either. The standard of teaching isn't great and varies massively between lecturers! In my final year we were taking lectures off masters students instead of having the college professors giving us their main focus while they were off teaching first and second years instead? Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I just finished first year of computing, and I have to disagree with you. The standard of teaching we got in our modules was brilliant. The lectures were real helpful. There was in fact quite a lot of communication between lectures and support staff.
    I don't know what you mean by outdated ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I guess that's why the points are so low for NCI compared to other colleges.

• Advertisement

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I guess that's why the points are so low for NCI compared to other colleges.

The points are based on the lowest points a student accepted into the course got.

Computing in DIT was 250 in 2010, it was 400 last year. It doesn't been its a bad college, it's just supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

I just finished first year of computing, and I have to disagree with you. The standard of teaching we got in our modules was brilliant. The lectures were real helpful. There was in fact quite a lot of communication between lectures and support staff.
    I don't know what you mean by outdated ?

You will find out in second year while doing Web Dev and Data Structures & Algorithms. Then again they may have changed the content of the courses for anyone entering in 2014 so you may well have gotten lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

You will find out in second year while doing Web Dev and Data Structures & Algorithms. Then again they may have changed the content of the courses for anyone entering in 2014 so you may well have gotten lucky
    Web Development has been updated for this coming September so I can't tell how much they've changed in the content. It was a nightmare when I was doing it. I had an argument with the lecturers on how outdated it really is.

Data Structures & Algorithms is a joke and what's worst is they are still using Netbeans while there is better IDEs out there such as IntelliJ.

There are changes coming into effect with new lecturers being recruited but some of them need to be booted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EvaE1995

Anyone know why the points dropped down to only 320 for level 8 computing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

EvaE1995 wrote: »

Perhaps more places were on offer, or less people applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EvaE1995

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps more places were on offer, or less people applied?

Sorry that was so obvious I was just wondering cause everywhere else points went up. Are you in nci ?

EvaE1995 wrote: »
    It would be an increase in places as last year they only had one computing class. This year would be two classes I reckon.

P.S. I've received your PM and I recommend use the contact details I've given you.

Lostboy are you heading into 3rd or 4th year now ?

Lostboy are you heading into 3rd or 4th year now ?

I'm heading into 3rd year.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'm heading into 3rd year.

I'm heading into 2nd year next month. Would you be able to tell me what its like.

Advertisement