Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft First Tablet - Surface !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

You won't get very much for €300 these days, so it was never going to be around that.

I think Win 8 is a fantastic tablet OS, and the inclusion of Office is a must for me. I don't see the point in having a tablet that is only for content consumption(to use a buzzword). To justify that level of expense, it has to have great functionality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Any release dates for Ireland? Tried to buy one on the UK store tonight and have it shipped to a relation in the North, but it looks for a UK credit card billing address:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mdfire wrote: »
    Any release dates for Ireland? Tried to buy one on the UK store tonight and have it shipped to a relation in the North, but it looks for a UK credit card billing address:mad:

Then use your relatives address. I don't think there is any address verification on credit cards here like there is in the US.

testicle wrote: »
    Then use your relatives address. I don't think there is any address verification on credit cards here like there is in the US.

It asks you to fill out the billing address and has the country in that greyed out

Ok, so that worked :D

Got a receipt saying it had gone through but that it would be available for shipment within 3 weeks

• Advertisement

Had this a week and a half now (it arrived 2 days later as opposed to 3 weeks).

Really impressed with it. Great for work and play. Any limitations on Windows 8 RT are overcome by remote desktoping to the laptop, though i have to admit for normal word editing, emails etc the RT is adequate. I was able to do a full days work using it in an office in Belfast by using RDP to my normal machine in Dublin. Still battery left to web surf on the train home.

Only slight drawback is the lack of apps like flipboard which I do miss but hopefully it wont be too long until they are produced. Havent used my ipad since I got it and have given it to my kids. Hardly touched the laptop either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

mdfire wrote: »
    Had this a week and a half now (it arrived 2 days later as opposed to 3 weeks)

How does it compare when used as a pure tablet without the type cover? I read in a few places that it was weak on this front with the aspect ratio making it difficult to hold and touch at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Any one have any ideas when this is coming here? Seems to be the cheapest RT tablets out there.

PC World has not idea when they are getting any of them

AngryLips wrote: »
    How does it compare when used as a pure tablet without the type cover? I read in a few places that it was weak on this front with the aspect ratio making it difficult to hold and touch at the same time.

No different to iPad in my view. I can hold with left hand and easily type this message with my right. You would normally hold with two hands anyway.

Movie viewing is excellent with widescreen and so is web page display. I haven't used it in portrait but can and you can cover all of the onscreen keyboard with both thumbs (just tried it). It does lend itself to landscape though.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Couple of questions.
    Does the Surface come with the keyboard or is that extra?
    Is it suitable for internet browsing, Skype and using Microsoft office for writing assignments etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I got one yesterday. The keyboard is extra. There are two types of keyboard - the touch and the type. The touch is the thinner, lighter and cheaper of the two and relies on capacitive touch. I was very skeptical about this at first, but it works really, really well. Not as good as a normal keyboard by any means, but will allow you to type a lot more than you would using an on-screen keyboard. It also attaches and detaches really simply with no buttons or releases to press. Lastly, it doubles as a screen cover.
    The kickstand is really nice too - it's much more solid feeling than it looks in photos. It opens and closes with a satisfying thunk (just like a Golf :D) and holds the whole device up and steady on a desktop. I did use it yesterday on my knee for a few minutes, but it's probably best not used this way as it's not too steady. Regarding the on-screen keyboard, that can be split in two so you can thumb-type while holding the surface in landscape mode with two hands.
    All-in-all, it's a really nice piece of kit. It feels solid in the hand, like the iPad, much more substantial feeling than the Samsung tablets. It's also my first experience using Windows 8 on a purely touch device and it makes sense, especially compared to the experience on a desktop/laptop.
    It cost approximately 620 euros including the keyboard and P&P from microsoft.com/uk, which is pretty good value considering a Galaxy Note 10.1" pad is 599 euros in PC World with no keyboard and 1GB of RAM.
    I would expect that when these go on general sale in Ireland after Christmas they will be a bit cheaper too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I got one yesterday. The keyboard is extra. There are two types of keyboard - the touch and the type. The touch is the thinner, lighter and cheaper of the two and relies on capacitive touch. I was very skeptical about this at first, but it works really, really well. Not as good as a normal keyboard by any means, but will allow you to type a lot more than you would using an on-screen keyboard. It also attaches and detaches really simply with no buttons or releases to press. Lastly, it doubles as a screen cover.
    The kickstand is really nice too - it's much more solid feeling than it looks in photos. It opens and closes with a satisfying thunk (just like a Golf :D) and holds the whole device up and steady on a desktop. I did use it yesterday on my knee for a few minutes, but it's probably best not used this way as it's not too steady. Regarding the on-screen keyboard, that can be split in two so you can thumb-type while holding the surface in landscape mode with two hands.
    All-in-all, it's a really nice piece of kit. It feels solid in the hand, like the iPad, much more substantial feeling than the Samsung tablets. It's also my first experience using Windows 8 on a purely touch device and it makes sense, especially compared to the experience on a desktop/laptop.
    It cost approximately 620 euros including the keyboard and P&P from microsoft.com/uk, which is pretty good value considering a Galaxy Note 10.1" pad is 599 euros in PC World with no keyboard and 1GB of RAM.
    I would expect that when these go on general sale in Ireland after Christmas they will be a bit cheaper too.

Seems like a lot of euros to be honest, I landed a Galaxy tab 2 10" here with the money back for 275 euro, no keyboard but can live with that.

Are you sure the note is that price, seen them on Pixmania for 469 there the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

yop wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of euros to be honest, I landed a Galaxy tab 2 10" here with the money back for 275 euro, no keyboard but can live with that.

Are you sure the note is that price, seen them on Pixmania for 469 there the other night.

He's talking about the Galaxy Note 10.1" different class of tablet to the Tab 2.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Do-more wrote: »
    He's talking about the Galaxy Note 10.1" different class of tablet to the Tab 2.

Yes I know he is talking about the note, hence I used the work "note" when i said it was there for 469.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I am pretty sure I saw them at that price yesterday morning in PC World in Carrickmines, but I am happy to be corrected.
    In any case, it's about what you want/need from a tablet that's important. Office 2013 is also pre-installed on the Surface, which is nice (Home & Student edition I think)

I am pretty sure I saw them at that price yesterday morning in PC World in Carrickmines, but I am happy to be corrected.
    In any case, it's about what you want/need from a tablet that's important. Office 2013 is also pre-installed on the Surface, which is nice (Home & Student edition I think)

Thats the thing, the surface probably has more in it, but for the extra money, in my case, I couldn't justify it.
    The note has Polaris Office, they allege that it will allow you to work with MS office files.

Haven't seen the Surface yet, must have a look out in the shops for a look.

Well wear with it anyway, a nice new toy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Surface RT isn't sold in shops, yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've been using mine for about a month now, would definitely recommend to anybody who needs to use office. if you've any questions let me know and I'll try and answer them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

liamog wrote: »
    I've been using mine for about a month now, would definitely recommend to anybody who needs to use office. if you've any questions let me know and I'll try and answer them

Which one did you got and how much you payed for it? Those are still in a very high price bracket off remember right. You can pretty much buy a full blown out laptop for that.

Which one did you got and how much you payed for it? Those are still in a very high price bracket off remember right. You can pretty much buy a full blown out laptop for that.

I've seen one in a Chinese shop in Dublin for 479. Still wondering weather to get it or not.

I'd imagine since MS isn't selling these in Ireland yet. I would have no warranty on it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I paid €700 for mine its the 64GB version with the touch cover. I need to check out the warranty situation but will probably be EU wide at a minimum, the 2 year rule for products sold in the EU applies.

As to coatings, yes its on the expensive side, but I justified it by wanting to develop a win 8 tablet app as part of my final year in college

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

So i read that the Surface RT is going to be officially available in Ireland soon. Does anyone know the launch date and where they'll be sold, like Currys or Harvey Normans? I'm hoping the price will start at €479 like in the rest of the eurozone.

So i read that the Surface RT is going to be officially available in Ireland soon. Does anyone know the launch date and where they'll be sold, like Currys or Harvey Normans? I'm hoping the price will start at €479 like in the rest of the eurozone.

Seen that . Still looling for a reason to buy it. Have a desktop and the laptop I have now will survive till the end of college . Had a Nexus 7 and Asus Transformer Pad before. Just couldn't fit a tablet anywhere in my life.

I read that they're retailing in Harvey Normans down under so it is a possibility here.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Available from Microsoft from Feb 14th according to http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/31145-microsoft-reveals-surface-w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Seen that . Still looling for a reason to buy it. Have a desktop and the laptop I have now will survive till the end of college . Had a Nexus 7 and Asus Transformer Pad before. Just couldn't fit a tablet anywhere in my life.

I'd be the same, my current laptop is very portable as it is and my smartphone fills in the gaps. It would be perfect for my wife though who mostly uses her currently aging laptop for Skype, email, browsing and watching TV shows. We have a Nexus 7 that is almost exclusively used to entertain our son and for Skype chats, but neither of us find it much good for anything else (too small for serious browsing or video watching). The surface, at 11 inches, is the same screen size as her current laptop but without the weight or heat and of course with the nice touchscreen.
    I read that they're retailing in Harvey Normans down under so it is a possibility here.

Thanks - good to know it's coming soon. Would be nice to test one out at a Harvey Norman's first too.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

I have my Surface since October (typing from it now) and I love it, a bit limited with apps but build quality is very impressive, not to mention how handy the Touch Cover is.

I ordered mine through MS Germany and my Touch Cover through MS UK.
    Definitely worth checking out in a store if you're interested.

Now available in Ireland: IT: Surface Touches Down in Ireland

• Advertisement

Now available in Ireland: IT: Surface Touches Down in Ireland

Bit late...I would have actually bought one if it was around Xmas. It only seems like there will be new tablets around the corner from apple and android. Spec wise it seems a bit stupid to get one,

Advertisement