Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft First Tablet - Surface !

Options
  • 19-06-2012 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

As "announced" since a week ago,today Microsoft confirmed the news: a first tablet !

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

As per this article,let's hope that will bring variety,a better price offer,better specs and ...less work for lawyers disputing stupid IPs !

Let the fun...begin ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Looks nice actually, I like the idea of a cover being used as a keyboard, looking forward to this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I swore I'd never buy a laptop or a tablet or anything that wasn't a proper full-sized desktop PC.

...But damn, I want one! Provided it's competitively priced, of course. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

A big mistake ... already !??

i love the comments... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Wasn't the Mircosoft Surface supposed to be a tabletop-sized device that was announced back in 06-07? Is this table evolved from that technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

rolion wrote: »
    A big mistake ... already !??

i love the comments... :)

You will always get one or 2 reviews like this even before they get their hands on it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It's a pity the RT model will only have a 720p screen, I think they should have gone 1080p on that model and something similar to the iPad 3 resolution on the x86 model.

54kroc wrote: »
    It's a pity the RT model will only have a 720p screen, I think they should have gone 1080p on that model and something similar to the iPad 3 resolution on the x86 model.

You've got to leave something for Dell, Samsung, Asus etc.. to build on. The ball is in their court now. It's time for them to bring out some impressive Windows 8/RT tablets, high end and low end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wasn't the Mircosoft Surface supposed to be a tabletop-sized device that was announced back in 06-07? Is this table evolved from that technology?

Yes, that's been renamed to PixelSense
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57455731-75/microsoft-renames-its-old-surface-computer-as-pixelsense/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Just shows that Apple are still streets ahead in hype building.

Barely one page in.

If this was a new iPad we would be 100 pages in already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Varied wrote: »
    Just shows that Apple are still streets ahead in hype building.

Barely one page in.

If this was a new iPad we would be 100 pages in already.

That's just one boards, the whole internet was buzzing with off the chart predictions cause no one had a clear idea of what was coming.

I like it, even my manager agreed it was a nice machine and he wouldn't be a fan of Microsoft.

Though I'll agree with some and would love to have seen a Full HD on the RT version. Would have been sold already.

If the battery life is around 5+ hour mark for the Intel one I'll probably would go for that one just cause of the full he screen, even though id rather have the RT one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

From reading about it , I think it'll be trouble. I'll preface my comments by saying that I work in the IT support sector.
    Here's why :

1) Full blown desktop OS on a tablet. If it could be done then surely apple would have done it with OS X. Look how bloated Windows gets on a desktop , now you're transferring that to a tablet - which is suposed to be an "always on" product. I would have preferred an evolution of Windows CE optimised for Tablet.And I mean properly optimised , not a shoe horned half assed version. Make it easy to transfer Docs. At the end of the day thats what most Professional users want. Email and Docs on the go , minimum hassle.

2) Battery life, it has to last a full working day (8+ hours). otherwise why bother.Again that full I5 proc(which strikes me as the only version worth buying) , is going to get pretty thirsty.

3) 2 Versions of Windows 8. WTF ? watch as IT purchasing Depts run out and buy the wrong version. They did it with netbooks (the amount of upgrades to win 7 pro from home I've sold to businesses).

4) I gather this will run full versions of the equivalent desktop apps. watch as people struggle with winrar , photoshop etc. ( "but they work on my desktop").

At the end of the day I think that the only way to go with both phones and tablets is walled garden. Its nice, simple and the users know what they are getting. "Power users " still have the ability to jailbreak or run custom apps on their devices , but for the majority the "out of the box" experience is good enough.
    On the one hand I can Jailbreak and run what I want , on the other hand my folks can get their email without screwing anything major up.

On the plus side - I do like the keyboard in fairness.

horgan_p wrote: »
    From reading about it , I think it'll be trouble. I'll preface my comments by saying that I work in the IT support sector.
    Here's why :

1) Full blown desktop OS on a tablet. If it could be done then surely apple would have done it with OS X. Look how bloated Windows gets on a desktop , now you're transferring that to a tablet - which is suposed to be an "always on" product. I would have preferred an evolution of Windows CE optimised for Tablet.And I mean properly optimised , not a shoe horned half assed version. Make it easy to transfer Docs. At the end of the day thats what most Professional users want. Email and Docs on the go , minimum hassle.

2) Battery life, it has to last a full working day (8+ hours). otherwise why bother.Again that full I5 proc(which strikes me as the only version worth buying) , is going to get pretty thirsty.

3) 2 Versions of Windows 8. WTF ? watch as IT purchasing Depts run out and buy the wrong version. They did it with netbooks (the amount of upgrades to win 7 pro from home I've sold to businesses).

4) I gather this will run full versions of the equivalent desktop apps. watch as people struggle with winrar , photoshop etc. ( "but they work on my desktop").

At the end of the day I think that the only way to go with both phones and tablets is walled garden. Its nice, simple and the users know what they are getting. "Power users " still have the ability to jailbreak or run custom apps on their devices , but for the majority the "out of the box" experience is good enough.
    On the one hand I can Jailbreak and run what I want , on the other hand my folks can get their email without screwing anything major up.

You work in the IT support sector, its clear from your post that you don't really understand what you're talking about. I've never read such rubbish in all my life! :D

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You work in the IT support sector, its clear from your post that you don't really understand what you're talking about. I've never read such rubbish in all my life! :D

It would be polite if you expanded on your comment......

Here's why :

1) Full blown desktop OS on a tablet. If it could be done then surely apple would have done it with OS X. Look how bloated Windows gets on a desktop , now you're transferring that to a tablet - which is suposed to be an "always on" product. I would have preferred an evolution of Windows CE optimised for Tablet.And I mean properly optimised , not a shoe horned half assed version. Make it easy to transfer Docs. At the end of the day thats what most Professional users want. Email and Docs on the go , minimum hassle

Once your working on a device its always gonna get bloated with files. Hence why you got folders. Make use of them.

I don't really get what you mean with "half assed"? Get with the times, use the cloud, its not like it costs that much. SkyDrive gives you 7GB free.
    2) Battery life, it has to last a full working day (8+ hours). otherwise why
    bother.Again that full I5 proc(which strikes me as the only version worth
    buying) , is going to get pretty thirsty.

I could agree with that, but they did say this wont consume as much as a normal i5.
    3) 2 Versions of Windows 8. WTF ? watch as IT purchasing Depts run out and buy
    the wrong version. They did it with netbooks (the amount of upgrades to win 7
    pro from home I've sold to businesses).

Wait wait...who sends out the guy that doesn't have a clue to buy PC's? I mean don't you have the IT guy for that? Again if some one bought the wrong version in bulk they should be fired on the spot.
    4) I gather this will run full versions of the equivalent desktop apps. watch as
    people struggle with winrar , photoshop etc. ( "but they work on my desktop").

You make this out as this being the only Windows machine available. I can see you trying to work WinRAR and Photoshop on iPad or Android tablets, oh wait...They don't have neither

It would be polite if you expanded on your comment......

Where would I even start, there's nothing there that's close to correct! IT deparments are the last to upgrade their PC's most would still be running XP and there's a very good reason why their the last to upgrade. You should know why that is so I shouldn't have to explain that to you. Secondly there not going to be buying tablets in the first place :D

You're Windows may be bloated but you won't find bloated PC's in most companies as they don't allow you to install software whenever you feel like it. I don't know what IT departments you've been dealing with!

I don't think you fully understand the difference's between Windows 8 and Windows RT and as for the battery and what processor will be inside, you won't know that till later.

EDIT: There's a very good reason why the Windows 8 surface tablet will be launched 3 months after the Windows RT surface tablet, the processor you think will be in the Windows 8 Surface is not the one that will be in it...

Ok in order :

1) I didnt mean bloated with user created files , I mean for instance the windows install on its own. Stick office on top and it gets even more bloated.However in its defence thats an issue with Windows in general as opposed to the surface in particular.

As regards your comment regarding Cloud. Lots of places dont use Cloud yet.Lots of places have looked at Cloud and decided against it for privacy reasons.

2) regards battery life - if they can get it to last a full business day then fair enough.

3) you'd be surprised the amount of places that send the guy who knows very little about pcs out to buy pcs. I've had numerous Managing Directors rock up to me with Asus branded "Ipads". Seriously , never underestimate the stupidity of people.

4) You dont see people trying to run full windows apps on Ipads/ Android devices because they arent being touted as running full versions of windows. The Surface is.

Where would I even start, there's nothing there that's close to correct! IT deparments are the last to upgrade their PC's most would still be running XP and there's a very good reason why their the last to upgrade. You should know why that is so I shouldn't have to explain that to you. Secondly there not going to be buying tablets in the first place :D

You're Windows may be bloated but you won't find bloated PC's in most companies as they don't allow you to install software whenever you feel like it. I don't know what IT departments you've been dealing with!

I don't think you fully understand the difference's between Windows 8 and Windows RT and as for the battery and what processor will be inside, you won't know that till later.

EDIT: There's a very good reason why the Windows 8 surface tablet will be launched 3 months after the Windows RT surface tablet, the processor you think will be in the Windows 8 Surface is not the one that will be in it...

Surface seems to be being geared towards the on the go people , sales reps , that type of person. Most IT depts I've seen are running Win7 with XP virtual machines for legacy support.

Try .pst files if you want to see bloated. And most Windows installations are bloated , whether restricted or not.

As regards the difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT I know enough to know that one runs on an ARM processor and the other runs on an x86 processor. Have a look at the hassles running some legacy apps on Win64 (Oracle for instance).

I really dont mind debating back and forth with you but I'd rather you didnt judge my experience in IT without knowing anything about me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here's why :

1 - Yes and Windows 8 actually works quite well on a tablet. The problem with it is that to date it falls down when being used on a desktop or laptop. Hopefully, that gets sorted for launch because I'm really liking it.

2 - The i5 is a ULV processor that is used in ultrabooks. They seem to get good battery life why shouldn't this. Also the other version is running an ARM processor so battery life on that one should be good too.

3 - Yeah there is RT for ARM processors and the standard windows for x86 processors. You can't buy RT, you'll only get it when you buy an ARM tablet.

4 - The lower end ARM based tablet will only run applications designed for metro gotten from the windows app store. The pro version will run both metro applications and non metro applications.

I'm actually quite liking this tablet. That smart cover thing looks impressive. If it works well, it kinda kills the ultrabook market. Why buy an ultrabook when you can get a tablet and an ultrabook in one?

I actually wish Microsoft would do more of this type of thing and get involved in the hardware side of things more. Touchpads on laptops have been a big annoyance of mine in windows laptops. They're average at best and completely rubbish in a lot of cases. Either they should make their own range of laptops (in a similar way to the google nexus range of phones) or work with OEMs and work on increasing the quality of the laptops like making better touchpads and keyboards, make things like good webcams, bluetooth, higher res screens (1366x768 on a 15.6" laptop is pretty crap) as part of the minimum spec requirements for laptops etc. Anyway rant over, hopefully the tablets are good.

4 - The lower end ARM based tablet will only run applications designed for metro gotten from the windows app store. The pro version will run both metro applications and non metro applications
    Sorry , on point 3 I think you took me up wrong , I didnt mean buy the wrong version of windows , I meant buying the wrong Tablet.

This bit I hadnt heard.Sounds interesting

Surface seems to be being geared towards the on the go people , sales reps , that type of person. Most IT depts I've seen are running Win7 with XP virtual machines for legacy support.

Try .pst files if you want to see bloated. And most Windows installations are bloated , whether restricted or not.

As regards the difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT I know enough to know that one runs on an ARM processor and the other runs on an x86 processor. Have a look at the hassles running some legacy apps on Win64 (Oracle for instance).

I really dont mind debating back and forth with you but I'd rather you didnt judge my experience in IT without knowing anything about me.

Debate? You're talking about Windows being bloated and say you work in IT support. Are you seriously trying to say that IT deparments have ever said this to you and this was an issue when then where installing Windows. In fact I think you would find it hard to even find one person here who thought "hmm I don't think I'll get Windows it's a bit bloated" :D

You say most IT departments you deal with use XP virtual machines for legacy support. A large IT department wouldn't even think about installing Windows 7 onto any pc's it it doesn't support their software. If it doesn't support ANY of there software. Thats the first thing they would look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

It's actually really easy to re-install Windows 8. It even preserves your files and settings. :)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

Debate? You're talking about Windows being bloated and say you work in IT support. Are you seriously trying to say that IT deparments have ever said this to you and this was an issue when then where installing Windows. In fact I think you would find it hard to even find one person here who thought "hmm I don't think I'll get Windows it's a bit bloated" :D

You say most IT departments you deal with use XP virtual machines for legacy support. A large IT department wouldn't even think about installing Windows 7 onto any pc's it it doesn't support their software. If it doesn't support ANY of there software. Thats the first thing they would look at.

No , I'm saying Windows installations get bloated. Simple fact. I dont think you'll find many people who'll disagree with that.

Large IT depts run a variety of versions of windows.For application testing as part of the pilot for a rollout for example.

So anyway ,I thought the thread was about Microsoft Surface ,yeah ?

Large IT depts run a variety of versions of windows.For application testing as part of the pilot for a rollout for example.

Yip they do, on a couple of PC's not every PC in the company.

Yes it is from now on :)

Any mention of GPS in any version of Surface ?
    Or inbuilt 3g actually ?

I havent seen mention of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Getting back to the subject I think it looks promising. The Metro UI is way ahead of iOS and once Win8 is launched and it gets traction with the number of apps I think it will help to bring people back to the Windows environment, especially in the mobile space (think WP8).

What really interests me as a consumer is the keyboard because it offers up the possibility of consolidating multiple devices. I always felt it unnecessary to own a tablet if you had a portable laptop and smartphone, and that the two together were better than any other combination available. With this, if it delivers on what it promises, it's almost enough to make me think I could do away with the PC entirely (either laptop or desktop).

Just my two cent.

Any mention of GPS in any version of Surface ?
    Or inbuilt 3g actually ?

I havent seen mention of them

No mention of 3G but both of them will support GPS and A-GPS

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Microsoft-Surface_id7181

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

No mention of 3G but both of them will support GPS and A-GPS

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Microsoft-Surface_id7181

Out of the above site's comments...i reckon this is going to be the winning selling point:

12. Vorsayo posted on yesterday, 21:49 2 0
    Full windows 8 experience, with all programs able to be installed. Sounds good to me. I may have to sell my android tablet, and get this one instead. Plus the connectivity that will exist between my PC and my tablet will be phenomenal. Its one of the things people love about Apple products, how their iMac, Mac Book Pro, iPad, iPhone, iPod and Apple TV all link together and make life easier. Having a Tablet that will work well with my desktop and laptop will be awesome. I may even get and Windows Phone 7 (or 8 when it launches) to complete the experience.

rolion wrote: »
    Out of the above site's comments...i reckon this is going to be the winning selling point:

12. Vorsayo posted on yesterday, 21:49 2 0
    Full windows 8 experience, with all programs able to be installed. Sounds good to me. I may have to sell my android tablet, and get this one instead. Plus the connectivity that will exist between my PC and my tablet will be phenomenal. Its one of the things people love about Apple products, how their iMac, Mac Book Pro, iPad, iPhone, iPod and Apple TV all link together and make life easier. Having a Tablet that will work well with my desktop and laptop will be awesome. I may even get and Windows Phone 7 (or 8 when it launches) to complete the experience.

It was a bit of a suprise that Microsoft unveiled the Surface tablet yesterday out of the blue. I think Microsoft had to show the Surface yesterday so they can show it tomorrow linking up with Windows Phone 8. I wouldn't be suprised if we see it again tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Keyboard sounds awful to me and not something that would come close to replacing a decent one on a laptop. However, I will have to wait for some proper reviews and a personal hands on before coming to any final conclusions.

Looks decent overall, but I think some of the stuff announced by the likes of Asus and Acer recently sounds better to me. (i.e Touch screen Win 8 Ultrabooks etc)

• Advertisement

DRose1 wrote: »
    Keyboard sounds awful to me and not something that would come close to replacing a decent one on a laptop. However, I will have to wait for some proper reviews and a personal hands on before coming to any final conclusions.

Looks decent overall, but I think some of the stuff announced by the likes of Asus and Acer recently sounds better to me. (i.e Touch screen Win 8 Ultrabooks etc)

Well I had my eyes set on Asus Taichi. Seemed a very good tablet netbook hybrid.

Though im digging the surface.

Most reviews said keyboard is good. Anything beats typing on a touch screen. I couldn't imagine typing a long document or taking notes on a touch screen, would wreak my head. Though the stylus option from the pro version is attractive to me for taking notes in college and work.

I'm torn in between tbh.

No doubt Surface is slick though, nicer than most tablets out there and it doesn't copy the looks of anything.

Advertisement