Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another recommendation thread - half hour show

Options
  • 27-03-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I know there are a few of these, but mine's slightly different.
    I'm looking for a TV series/ box set that has 25-30 min episodes. I'm looking for something to do during baby feeding sessions, and that's about how long she takes!

Would prefer a drama, or something with travel or cooking included (just watched "The Trip" but didn't really like it). Am open to sitcoms too.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Have you seen Entourage. Its a dramedy about a young actor and his friends trying to make it in hollywood. Id highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm watching the US Office at the moment. I haven't laughed this much in years. Some of the stuff is pure and utter genius.

So many great characters. Creed, Stanley, Kevin. They all contribute maybe once every second episode but it's always top notch.

Then you have Steve Carell as Michael Scott. He's unbelievable in the role. Him and Dwight are two of the funniest characters I've ever seen.

I started watching originally only to see Jenna Fischer but it wasn't long till I was hooked. Episodes are only 21 minutes long, with the exception of the season finales.

Although if you are going to be holding the baby at the same time as watching then I wouldn't recommend this show. You'll laugh so hard you could hurt him/her. I'm not messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Have you tried Nurse Jackie...I love it. Humerous drama, abt 25/30 mins each episode. Just waiting for season 4 to start:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Most Drama shows are going to be about 40 mins. 25 - 30 tend to be sitcoms. But maybe you could start it while the bottle is heating up! :)

The League - Comedy about a group of people running a fantasy football league, Sound ****e right? Yeah thats why I ignored it for a couple of season then one flu ridden weekend I put it on and watched the whole thing! Hilarious!
    Greek - Drama about college, but very funny.
    Life on Mars - UK Edition - A modern day detective is involved in a crash and wakes up in 1970. Love this show!
    Firefly - Cowboys, space, romance, comedy and Joss Whedon! Nice.
    Teachers - UK show about teachers in a primary school. - Andrew Lincoln of Walking Dead Fame

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Skinfull wrote: »
    The League - Comedy about a group of people running a fantasy football league, Sound ****e right? Yeah thats why I ignored it for a couple of season then one flu ridden weekend I put it on and watched the whole thing! Hilarious!

I watched a few episodes and thought it was poor enough.

I think some of the fantasy football references would go over a persons head unless they have played it before. Also you'd have to have played it already really to understand the obsession that they have with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks for the recommendations so far.
    Didn't realise Entourage was 22 mins - have heard good things about it.
    Watched the first series of the US Office when it was on TV years ago, might pick it up again though. And never heard of Nurse Jackie, but will look into it!

The ones recommended by Skinfull are mostly hour-long. I've already got a few of these to watch, but find I just can't stretch to that long.

Oh, just remembered one show that I really enjoyed recently is "Eastbound & Down". If there is any other program in a similar vein I'd definitely give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

fjon wrote: »
    Oh, just remembered one show that I really enjoyed recently is "Eastbound & Down". If there is any other program in a similar vein I'd definitely give that a go.

Louis CK is pretty good, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Both are kind of similar to Eastbound & Down in that they put the protagonist into awkward, almost cringey situations that you'd hate to be in youraelf, or you know people exactly like that.

Also, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is genius comedy. If you can get over the short first season. It's good, but not as good as later seasons IMO.

Wilfred is awesome, it's about a stoner guy who sees his neighbour's dog as a person. The original was a darkly humourous Australian show, of about 12 epsiodes over 2 seasons. It was then picked up by American TV and stars Elijah Wood as the stoner guy. Sounds really crap, but is decidely funny.

Someone mentioned Nurse Jackie, and I think that's also brilliant. Edie Falco (Tony Soprano's wife) plays a New York nurse, addicted to painkillers which she gets from the pharmacist at the hospital where she works. It's about her relationships with her colleagues, friends and husband and two young kids. I tihnk the episodes are around the 22-28 minute mark. It's a drama with some darkly comic moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Great, more to think about there!
    Any British series worth watching?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Californication

Watch it!

The I.T Crowd

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe try Blue Mountain State if you like Eastbound and Down. United States of Tara or Weeds (earlier seasons) or just go for some classics like Malcolm in the Middle or That 70s Show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd go with some that have been mentioned so far like The Office, Entourage, Blue Mountain State, The League, Eastbound & Down, Californication, Wilfred, Louie.

I'd also try Parks & Recreation. There was also a show called Secret Girlfriend which only lasted 1 season that is really good.

Also there is a show currently in its first season called Up All Night, it might be an apt show to watch as it's about a couple raising thier first child, stars Will Arnett and Christina Applegate.....oh, and Arrested Development!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For baby related comedy: Raising Hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    For baby related comedy: Raising Hope.

+ 1 on Raising Hope

Come Dine With Me is fun and has cooking :p

Breaking In is also worth a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rev.

Thick Of It

15 Storey's high ( Most Underrated British comedy in decades)

Grandma's house

Peep Show

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Oh and to throw a US name in as well, Delocated is pretty much superior to everyone named in this thread, just over 20 minutes, incredibly underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I always use IMDB to find show ratings. Sorted by runtime:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=runtime&title_type=tv_series

Advertisement