Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

:rolleyes:
    Rapha Rising Challenge
    Climb 6,881 meters, the combined elevation of the Circle of Death, July 15-22.
    http://app.strava.com/challenges/rapha-rising-circle-of-death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Idleater wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Rapha Rising Challenge
    Climb 6,881 meters, the combined elevation of the Circle of Death, July 15-22.
    http://app.strava.com/challenges/rapha-rising-circle-of-death

great timing. If only it had been one week later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

lennymc wrote: »
    great timing. If only it had been one week later.

Just bring your Garmin onto the plane on the 22nd, challenge complete :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The club in France got back to me there, they'll be sending on the carnets next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

il do my entry tommorow, hows everyone set at this stage.

manafana wrote: »
    il do my entry tommorow, hows everyone set at this stage.

Unfit and overweight, I'm up a stone on this time last year.

Unfit and overweight, I'm up a stone on this time last year.

overweight compared to whom, you can hang out with my and lenny at the back, im light for me and im still 80kg.

overweight compared to whom, you can hang out with my and lenny at the back, im light for me and im still 80kg.

ATTACK! ATTACK!

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

At 89.5kg I am more than likely the heaviest person on the trip. However I am fitter than I have been for a while and climbing better than I have ever climbed.
    Climbed Cruagh tonight into a headwind faster than I have ever climbed that stretch of road. Did the same on Stocking Lane.

Only a few things worry me;
    1. The weather. I really hope that we get good weather. By that I mean 25 degrees at the base of climbs and getting progressively cooler as we ascend.
    2. Distance. There are two days that are almost 200km. I have always despised long days in the saddle. My ideal cycle is about five hours. After 7 I get really bored, after 9 I get depressed, any more I lose the will to live.
    3. Gradient. I can do long and shallow or long and medium gradient climbs all day. Steep climbs kill me. I have damaged ligaments on steep climbs, but long steep climbs and mensimply do not get on. There are two climbs in particular worry me. Marie Blanque & Portet Aspet. I don't want to have to get off the bike, but that maybe unavoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

82Kg here, might get to 80 before the start. Another one for the worry list,
    4. Pacing - Getting it right for yourself will be important. I would think it's very tempting to push on a bit too hard early on, only to find you've run out of steam for the remaining days.

Ok, one of the lightest at 71kg but I'm only small. I've reconsidered buying a compact due to financial constrants. The lidl bike has served me well on my previous tours and is unused since last July. There's still the option of putting the triple on the LOOK. The key to a good tour is pace, I'm a very poor climber and unfortunately ROK ON there's gonna a be a couple of long, long days but we'll be doing it in unfamiliar country so it won't be such a bummer. Last year I spent something like 16 hours and there was panic at the end as it was getting dark. On the point of getting dark, I think a set of lights should be on the list just in case.

im 88kg, and bringing an ipod for the long days in the saddle. Lots of random music, and a camera. Pacing will most definately be critical. Any previous mentions of ATTACK have been made with tounge firmly in cheek.

captain bring the look and try fit the compact to it, be pity not bring your best bike to do the job.

First time with scales under 80kg this morning, would be nice to be about 78-78.5kg for the trip. Im riding in the slieve bloom this weekend then plan some light work now for next 3weeks hopefully the work iv put in has paid off.

Like ROK on anything above 10% for a long distance is a fight for me and some of climbs in pyrennes change gradient quiet a bit so finding a rhythm can be difficult.

im 88kg, and bringing an ipod for the long days in the saddle. Lots of random music, and a camera. Pacing will most definately be critical. Any previous mentions of ATTACK have been made with tounge firmly in cheek.

in the ultimate irony i will attack you.

in the ultimate irony i will attack you.

bring it on :)

• Advertisement

bring it on :)

My Plan is to wheel suck till the red bit then launch my attack.Col-du-Tourmalet-Luz-St-Sauveur_profile.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

We were saying that with Idleater.. we need to pick a climb and go all out. I am still ignorant of where we are going to stay, do we have any mountain finishes?

There is no chance whatsoever of me spending 16. Hours on the bike on one day. None. If I did, then very simply it would impair my ability to do the following day.
    I have done a few long distance back to back events. My preference is for and early start and early finish, but that's just me.
    I only really see it being an issue on day 3. On that I plan to do c. 100km in morning. Take a break to get out of early afternoon sun, and then do 100km late afternoon/early evening.
    Like Lenny I plan on taking an iPod. My one experience of long climbs is that unless you can occupy your mind (away from suffering) that they can be a dark and lonely place.

For day three I will be wearing my brand new Sufferest jersey.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    We were saying that with Idleater.. we need to pick a climb and go all out. I am still ignorant of where we are going to stay, do we have any mountain finishes?

i think all stops are lower slopes, i think day 4 might be a good day to give a climb a good go, knowing day 5 wont make you pay for your efforts,i will try do tourmalet without getting off too, iv gotten back my mp3 player too which i will be using, also recommend buying sweat proof earphones so they last the trip.

No mountain finishes.
    Day 1,2 and 3 all finish on descents following a final climb.
    Day 1 is a 10 km descent and would seem technical. Day 2 is 15km and other than a hairpin, reasonably untechnical. Day 3 is a long descent.
    Having seen Idleeater snap a pack of about 20 going up Glenmacnass on MIck Byrne, if he attacks I will probably let him at it.
    (By probably, I mean certainly).

• Advertisement

My Plan is to wheel suck till the red bit then launch my attack.Col-du-Tourmalet-Luz-St-Sauveur_profile.jpg

My plan is to allow manafana wheelsuck until the red bit then launch my attack.

motivator2612578.jpg

i predict a riot

Mark-Renshaw-Expelled-From-Tour-de-France-For-Headbutting-Julian-Dean-595x428.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Day 2 and day 4.
    I enjoyed my 80km solo spin up and around the Sally gap yesterday evening at 28kmph average.
    The tourmalet is just like the Sally gap. Any one who says otherwise keep it to your good self and leave me in my ignorance. I'm perfectly adept at failing miserably and continuing regardless :-D

Oh and my compact granny ring arrived yesterday will post in the credit card thread when I weigh it.

3weeks today so, starting lighten the cycling now and tick over, hopefully lose little more weight.

now im enjoying watching the pros do it before we climb for real, they are doing a lot of climbs we will be on in next week or so, and think they are doing tourmalet from same side as us.

yeah - i cant wait. My plan initially was to take the week before off, but the leinster three day is on 16th/17th/ and 18th so i might do that.

will be good to see the pros go up the mountains. Will be better to go up them ourselves.
    Dont forget manafana, ATTACK!! ATTACK!! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Anyone out tonight?
    Tried gmail but not sure it worked. Only went to Coastwatch I think.

Sure, what time?

Eh, say, 6pm. Goldenballs. I'm flexi.

Cool, see you there.

• Advertisement

Check.

Planet X wrote: »
    Goldenballs

is that astra's new nickname?

Check.

Enjoyed the spin tonight Astra. Cheers. Good fun........
    Good luck with the Hill TT.
    Luck after that knee..........

Anyone up for some swimming...eeehhh cycling tomorrow?

Anyone up for some swimming...eeehhh cycling tomorrow?

were will you be swimming and what time will you start? tomorrow should be light rain only, but plenty flooding after today no doubt.

Anyone up for some swimming...eeehhh cycling tomorrow?[/Quote.

Could be persuaded alright.

ill be heading out around drogheda if anyone is up that way.

Goldenballs around 9-9:30? 100-120k depending on the weather.

• Advertisement

A possibility.

Goldenballs around 9-9:30? 100-120k depending on the weather.

Would love to. Any chance of later. Weather supposed to improve during the day. Thinking post 10.

dont think their will be much rain in wicklow/dublin area from any time after 6am, the earlier the better for me to get back at 1 to do some jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I'm heading out early tomorrow, to do something like this,
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1394178

Could meet Goldenballs for 7:30 if anyone is interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Hey Captain,

I picked a little present for you today for use on the raid. Retail price (apparently) €160
    I paid....... a hell of a lot less than that :D A gift to you seeing that they are in your favourite colours:) I remember you were looking for something like this last year.

212278.JPG

Top quality cycling gear....Zerorh+
    212279.JPG

Hopefully at this time in two weeks, we will al be sitting in a nice bar on Hendaye having a pre Raid drink to help us sleep a bit better.

My training is finished now - just hope to keep spinning the legs until next week. Then I will be off the bike for a week as I head to France with the missus and kids.

Hope the weather is better than this sh1te.

• Advertisement

Hey Captain,

I picked a little present for you today for use on the raid. Retail price (apparently) €160
    I paid....... a hell of a lot less than that :D A gift to you seeing that they are in your favourite colours:) I remember you were looking for something like this last year.

Top quality cycling gear....Zerorh+

Cheers for that, squire.

Think alot of people are wondering.........
    "What's the story with the Van?"

Have heard nothing so far. Two weeks to go?

Planet X wrote: »
    Think alot of people are wondering.........
    "What's the story with the Van?"

Have heard nothing so far. Two weeks to go?

Upon being fired from his job at the bakery, Bimbo and his best mate go into business for themselves and purchase a chip van.

im glad to say if i started tomorrow id be in good shape, took another 30sec of my cruagh road time in wet today. Going climb bit for rest of week then just tick the legs over in build up to our leaving.

Rode a little with ROK, and bit with Astra yesterday, easy miles when you can have a chat.

How are people packing their bikes, cardboard bike boxes may take less room that solid bike boxes ?

im glad to say if i started tomorrow id be in good shape, took another 30sec of my cruagh road time in wet today. Going climb bit for rest of week then just tick the legs over in build up to our leaving.

Rode a little with ROK, and bit with Astra yesterday, easy miles when you can have a chat.

How are people packing their bikes, cardboard bike boxes may take less room that solid bike boxes ?

I think I'm easily the most rested of the group. I know the driver was a little worried about space which I'm not (he doesn't realise how small a bike can get). By miracle I'm off this Saturday and will be doing the Helping Hands sportive in Athy if anyone else is up for this? Somewhere along the way I got it into my head that at 720km it is the shortest of my tours, which is just wrong as it's going to be bloody difficult. I know how to suffer and I'm far too stupid to know when to give up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement