Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc (Hons) Computing - Part Time

Options
  • 06-08-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi

anyone done this course? - I have applied and been accepted on to it. I have also applied to and been accepted on a number of different courses in colleges around Dublin. Just trying decide on the best offer!

whats the college like itself? lecturers good?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 N1tro

Hi

anyone done this course? - I have applied and been accepted on to it. I have also applied to and been accepted on a number of different courses in colleges around Dublin. Just trying decide on the best offer!

whats the college like itself? lecturers good?

thanks!

I've just completed the full time degree in computing and I'm hoping to start the Msc in September. Overall regarding people that was in my class, lots of them got jobs which is good to hear. Like everything else there are good years and bad ones whilst doing the degree. I can't comment on any other colleges but my experience with NCI consisted of team work and a few business modules. Generally the lecturers are ok, I've never had any major issues with them.

Any other questions let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I did this course at night graduating in the summer of 2009. I got a job straight away but it was a helpdesk job starting at 24k a year. I've since worked my way up to a job in software development but I definitely feel that my colleagues who graduated from more prestigious third level institutions (Kevin St, DUC, UCD etc) received a much higher standard of education than I did (even though I left with a first class honour from the NCI).
    What other institutions have you received an offer from OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

waraf wrote: »
    I did this course at night graduating in the summer of 2009. I got a job straight away but it was a helpdesk job starting at 24k a year. I've since worked my way up to a job in software development but I definitely feel that my colleagues who graduated from more prestigious third level institutions (Kevin St, DUC, UCD etc) received a much higher standard of education than I did (even though I left with a first class honour from the NCI).

Hi, thanks for your response

not good to hear :( - i work in IT myself, as a Sys Admin for the last number of years. on a decent salary.

I have offers for Griffith College and DIT part time. The DIT one though, doesn't look great. very little networking and systems stuff involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Hi, thanks for your response

not good to hear :( - i work in IT myself, as a Sys Admin for the last number of years. on a decent salary.

I have offers for Griffith College and DIT part time. The DIT one though, doesn't look great. very little networking and systems stuff involved.

If you do end up going to the NCI and you're not happy with it you can always do what a friend of mine did and transfer to DIT Kevin Street (I think he transferred after completing his second year in the NCI)

If you do end up going to the NCI and you're not happy with it you can always do what a friend of mine did and transfer to DIT Kevin Street (I think he transferred after completing his second year in the NCI)

Gotcha. thanks!

I would love to do Full Time College, in the likes of UCD or somewhere, but i don't think i could take the financial loss of leaving full time work anymore.

There seems to be a very limited number of courses in Dublin at least, that do part time BSc in IT - if UCD offered part time, i would go for that one..

any opinions on Griffith College?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is there are certain area of IT you have more of an interest in or any general IT/Comp Sci course?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Is there are certain area of IT you have more of an interest in or any general IT/Comp Sci course?

I guess a generalized degree in Comp Science / IT is what i am after. I have the skills as i have been working in the field for a good number of years now, just looking for formal qualifications at this point.

I would like to focus on the Networking / systems side of things more than anything else, but would also like to get better at Programming as well..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Moonbeam wrote: »

thanks. unfortunately not. It appears to be a course delivered on a full time basis and only leads to a diploma. Im looking for a part time course, that leads to a BSc

thanks though!

It is a grad dip so same level as a degree.
    I thought it was offered as both ft and pt ,my mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 matthew86

Do you mind me asking how you found the course in terms of workload, especially hours outside of lectures. Reading the module descriptions it recommends around 27 hours of independent study outside of lectures. How did you cope with 27 hours of study a week outside of lectures, let alone find 27 hours in a week while you were working???

Advertisement