Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Smartphone is good to buy? nokia lumia 800 or Samsung S3 mini

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting Nokia Lumia 800 or Samsung 3 Mini or maybe Sony

Not Sure.

I willing to spend 250

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

for that budget I'd look at getting a SIM free Lumia 620. Supposed to be a cracker of a phone, with all the capabilities of the 820 and 920 (lesser camera though). Has NFC and runs all the Nokia standard software like Nokia Drive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Lumia-Sim-Free-Windows-Smartphone/dp/B00B1OTXV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360765356&sr=8-1

also has swappable covers

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ann100

i see the Vodafone.ie has the Lumia 800 for sale for 200

would the Samsung S 3 Minin be a better out of them all.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Those Lumia 620's are a total rip-off.

If you can stretch your budget a tiny bit, you can get a Nexus 4 for €277.24 (current exchange rates!) from the Play UK store. It's a much, much better phone than the Lumia 620, or the SAmsung Galaxy Mini.

please do explain why ? Every, and I mean every, review I've read says that these are low price, high(ish) spec phones, yet you say they are a "total rip-off" without giving any reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Vastly superior processor, 4 times the RAM, vastly superior screen, much nicer looking device, bigger battery, full and pure Android experience, far better app eco-system.

The Nexus 4 is only slightly more expensive, but much, much better.

• Advertisement

Vastly superior processor, 4 times the RAM, vastly superior screen, much nicer looking device, bigger battery, full and pure Android experience, far better app eco-system.

The Nexus 4 is only slightly more expensive, but much, much better.

Sigh...

-Superior processor and 4 times the RAM needed to take the lag out of the OS.

-Much nicer looking device ? Surely that is an opinion and not a fact ?

- The Nexus having a full and pure Android experience makes the Nokia Lumia 620 a total rip-off ? Wow, that is some leap.

- better app eco-system granted.

You really should preface your posts with a disclaimer that these are your opinions and logic leaps. It would help the uninitiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrandNewGuy

I've had both a windows phone and android and I'd defiantly go for android over the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

LIGHTNING wrote: »

Every review of the 620 I have seen has stated that the 620 is the best value entry level smart phone.

Yes, but as already posted you can get a high end phone for not much more. Nexus 4 is on par with the Galaxy S3, not the mini
    PaulieC wrote: »

Sigh...

What lag, vanilla Android had no lag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

PaulieC wrote: »

Sigh...

There is no lag in the stock Android Os, especially on the Nexus 4.

You may got some on an S3 using Touch wiz, but then I never did.

The nexus 4 is better than the 620, but with that said, the 620 looks to be a fine device, only limited by the current selection on the Windows Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 danetc

I bought WP not long ago and was not what I expected, I definitely would go with Android device which in this case is Galaxy III Mini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Sonics2k wrote: »
    There is no lag in the stock Android Os, especially on the Nexus 4.

You get lag on every device, to say you don't is a lie.

The main point is that WP7/8 is smoother than android on any hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

danetc wrote: »
    I bought WP not long ago and was not what I expected, I definitely would go with Android device which in this case is Galaxy III Mini

It depends what you're looking for. I loved Android and made the switch to WP last year and never looked back.
    If you want to root your phone, tinker with it and run homebrew then android is the way to go. You can do it on WP too but it's much more an android thing.

I basically use my phone for browsing, email, social networking and streaming audio. My little lumia does all this perfectly. Not to mention built in GPS which is handy.

When people bang on to me about their android having more processing power etc I show them my lumia flicking through apps seamlessly. Different os requires different hardware, numbers aren't everything.

Basically, if you want a neat interface and easy to use phone that has social networking and email integrated brilliantly then WP is the way to go. The app store is improving over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

If you can stretch your budget a tiny bit, you can get a Nexus 4 for €277.24 (current exchange rates!) from the Play UK store. It's a much, much better phone than the Lumia 620, or the SAmsung Galaxy Mini.
    Do you have a link for that? Can't find it & that price would be a steal in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Lelantos wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that? Can't find it & that price would be a steal in fairness.

You buy them direct from Google UK, here's how
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878068

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

PogMoThoin wrote: »

You buy them direct from Google UK, here's how
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878068
    Thank you very much for that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have a new Samsung Ativ S (WP8) and a Galaxy Note 2 on the table here beside me. The Ativ is for work, the Note 2 is my own.

It comes down to this really.. If you aren't really an Apps person and just want a phone that (mostly) works and you're happy taking what you're given then get the WP. It's not perfect though - I've had it forget wireless networks that were stored, occasionally drop off the mobile network for no reason, and some of my users have also reported a few oddities. Things I take for granted on Android are also very cut-down or not there at all in some instances (like a decent notification menu, toggles etc)

If you do like having loads of free apps and games as well as a lot of decent ones though, and like having full control over the device (even more so if you root it) with everything from wallpapers to keyboard to the entire interface being replaceable (I run a WP launcher on my Note 2 for example as I like the clean look of it, but still have all the Android benefits underneath) then get an Android.

Personally I think that while I can see what MS are trying to do with WP8 and maybe it'll grow given time - if they sell enough of them to get developers interested in supporting the platform, I think the lead that Android has (and growing) means it will be the dominant platform for a long time to come yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I have a Lumia 800 and love it. That said I've played with the S3 Mini and if I were to change the phone I'd get that in a heartbeat. Nice looking piece of kit..but feels fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I've had both a windows phone and android and I'd defiantly go for android over the other

Have also used both, and Windows is far better, but the whole Android/Windows thing is mostly personal opinion, each to his/her own.

Advertisement